SiouxSports.com Forum

GDT: UND Homecoming vs PSU

geaux_sioux

He needs to run more in the off season. Anthony Munoz ran miles and miles every day, that's why he was so good for a long time and light on his feet. Joe needs to trim up and get quicker and more flexible.

Distance running does absolutely nothing for a football player and for athletes in most sports.  It's actually counterproductive to most athletes as it inhibits strength gains and leads to overwork injuries,  while doing nothing for quickness and flexibility.   If Joe wants to cut fat, he needs to clean up his diet and that's about the only thing that will do it.  

• Upvote 1

Distance running does absolutely nothing for a football player and for athletes in most sports. It's actually counterproductive to most athletes as it inhibits strength gains and leads to overwork injuries, while doing nothing for quickness and flexibility. If Joe wants to cut fat, he needs to clean up his diet and that's about the only thing that will do it.

I bet if he cut turnovers out of his diet, he would have the physique of an Ironman triathlete.

• Upvote 1

Distance running does absolutely nothing for a football player and for athletes in most sports. It's actually counterproductive to most athletes as it inhibits strength gains and leads to overwork injuries, while doing nothing for quickness and flexibility. If Joe wants to cut fat, he needs to clean up his diet and that's about the only thing that will do it.

If you want to fail late in the season and in the 4th quarter than don't do any distance running. The late Sean Taylor is another example of the benefits of distance running.

If you want to fail late in the season and in the 4th quarter than don't do any distance running. The late Sean Taylor is another example of the benefits of distance running.

Running 3 miles for a football player is worthless.  Run sprints or push a prowler until you puke but don't waste any time running for mileage.  If you don't believe me, just google the effects of cortisol on strength.  I always try to rely on science and the advice of experts in the field of strength and conditioning, as opposed to anecdotal testimony from guys who were born with freakish genetic ability.   

Running 3 miles for a football player is worthless. Run sprints or push a prowler until you puke but don't waste any time running for mileage. If you don't believe me, just google the effects of cortisol on strength. I always try to rely on science and the advice of experts in the field of strength and conditioning, as opposed to anecdotal testimony from guys who were born with freakish genetic ability.

Worked pretty well for me. If you find the balance you keep your strength and can sprint for days.

I preferred to run 2 miles, but as fast as I could. That was just to suppliment the lifting plyos and sprinting I was already doing.

We still get no respect in the Big Sky. PSUs five fans and their writer are acting like we won the game on accident and were gifted it by PSU.

Still work to be done. Need to beat a 1-win SUU team first, and then play tough and try to take down the juggernaut that is Eastern Washington. If UND does those two things over the next 3 weeks, then there will be respect.

Me thinks that "MJ23" is just another one of our professional contrarians who get their kicks on being "realists" and "pragmatists" when it comes to UND success or UND's road back to success.  It really must be miserable to be that kind of "fan."

I would much rather be someone, who, at least, hopes for the best and speculates on what could be, instead of a total glass-half-empty stick in the mud all the time.  I mean, I realize there is a time and a place to be realistic and not pie-in-the-sky, but, sometimes, just sometimes, it's fun to be a fan (short for fanatic) and dream a little.

I will call a spade a spade from time to time, but usually, it's after something happens and there is definitive evidence of sloppy play, whatever, etc. But I will always hold out hope for better days ahead, and that includes the next game on our schedule and beyond. It just makes things more fun. If I wanted to be a realist instead of a fan of UND sports, I would get a job as a sports columnist at the Forum or maybe some kind of a media analyst outside of Grand Forks.

Edit: Before anyone gets the bright idea that I am poo-pooing critical thoughts or analysis by posters, that could not be further from the truth.  Keep them coming!  I simply am defending those that hold out hope in the face of adversity.

Go UND!

• Upvote 2

Me thinks that "MJ23" is just another one of our professional contrarians who get their kicks on being "realists" and "pragmatists" when it comes to UND success or UND's road to back to success.  It really must be miserable to be that kind of "fan."

I would much rather be someone, who, at least, hopes for the best and speculates on what could be, instead of a total glass-half-empty stick in the mud all the time.  I mean, I realize there is a time and a place to be realistic and not pie-in-the-sky, but, sometimes, just sometimes, it's fun to be a fan (short for fanatic) and dream a little.

I will call a spade a spade from time to time, but usually, it's after something happens and there is definitive evidence of sloppy play, whatever, etc. But I will always hold out hope for better days ahead, and that includes the next game on our schedule and beyond. It just makes things more fun. If I wanted to be a realist instead of a fan of UND sports, I would get a job as a sports columnist at the Forum or maybe some kind of a media analyst outside of Grand Forks.

Edit: Before anyone gets the bright idea that I am poo-pooing critical thoughts or analysis by posters, that could not be further from the truth.  Keep them coming!  I simply am defending those that hold out hope in the face of adversity.

Go UND!

Didn't he say earlier (or maybe he was outed) that he was an SU fan?

Me thinks that "MJ23" is just another one of our professional contrarians who get their kicks on being "realists" and "pragmatists" when it comes to UND success or UND's road back to success.  It really must be miserable to be that kind of "fan."

Go UND!

He has openly admitted he's an NDSU fan.

Didn't he say earlier (or maybe he was outed) that he was an SU fan?

He has openly admitted he's an NDSU fan.

Meh.  Maybe?  I dunno know. If that's the case, that's even more miserable than a curmudgeonly fan of UND.

He is a moo U fan.  Came here as an awful troll but has toned it back lately.

We still get no respect in the Big Sky. PSUs five fans and their writer are acting like we won the game on accident and were gifted it by PSU.

PSU is just a bad football team. I saw the last quarter or so and their QB was not very good. Also, the head coaches time management at the end of the game was horrible. He should have taken a time out before the UND punt and get the ball back with about 2 full minutes left instead of 1:20.  

PSU is just a bad football team. I saw the last quarter or so and their QB was not very good. Also, the head coaches time management at the end of the game was horrible. He should have taken a time out before the UND punt and get the ball back with about 2 full minutes left instead of 1:20.  

Although I didn't agree with PSU's time management I could see what they were doing: they wanted the TO for the offense because they'd been gashing with the run and wanted to keep that option (run) open to them. 

FU faithful logic:

UND beats PSU (now 2-4) by 8 points in a very close game = PSU is a bad team

NDSU beats WSU (currently 0-6) by 17 a close game = WSU has a pretty good squad this year

I don't recall anyone saying Portland State was world beaters or trying to talk them up after the game.  This is a game UND doesn't win last year.  Large improvements, especially on the defensive side of the ball, continue to show.  Health is the main thing standing in this team's way, particularly due to the lack of depth the staff has to work with.

• Upvote 3

You need to learn what trolling is.  I'm telling it how it is, you apparently can't handle the truth so you call people troll and get all mad and cry.

a troll (/ˈtrl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments  posting inflammatory messages in an online community (such as a  forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into a response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

"SiouxSports.com is an online community for fans, media, families, participants, and friends of UND Fighting Sioux athletics."

Which of the above fits you better?

Check the front page - it's a site for UND fans.

FU faithful logic:

UND beats PSU (now 2-4) by 8 points in a very close game = PSU is a bad team

NDSU beats WSU (currently 0-6) by 17 a close game = WSU has a pretty good squad this year

I don't recall anyone saying Portland State was world beaters or trying to talk them up after the game.  This is a game UND doesn't win last year.  Large improvements, especially on the defensive side of the ball, continue to show.  Health is the main thing standing in this team's way, particularly due to the lack of depth the staff has to work with.

Remember when they were bragging about how tough Weber State was?  LMFAO.  

I guess it was a testament to how good the Big Sky really is.   :0

You UND fans really crack me up.  Get pissy so easily.  Talking about playoffs for UND after they win to get to 3-4 against a weak PSU team, or wait they are really good aren't they?  winning 1 upset game and beating a 1 win team gives you respect.  I guess when you have sucked for so long your standards drop huh?

As pointed out this is a hypothetical thread and the rest of our schedule is completely winable. For the record we have been underdogs in every game except Robert Morris. You can sit on your high horse all you want but the fact is this team is steadily improving and I think that bothers you because you expected UND to be winless at this point. 

It also doesn't help your case that you are on a UND fan board talking down to us. What do you really expect the responses to be? Your inferiority complex is shining through your comments.

You UND fans really crack me up.  Get pissy so easily.  Talking about playoffs for UND after they win to get to 3-4 against a weak PSU team, or wait they are really good aren't they?  winning 1 upset game and beating a 1 win team gives you respect.  I guess when you have sucked for so long your standards drop huh?

No one is saying UND will make the playoff this year.   No one said that PSU was a great or even good team.  You can only play the teams on your schedule.   As fans, we like to have hope in our team.  Right now there is hope as this team is performing quite a bit better than it was expected to do (which wasn't a whole lot).  Will we make the playoffs, odds are against that if we lose even one more game.  However, if this team puts together a run and finishes 8-4, should they make the playoff, I would say the odds are pretty good that they do.  Does that translate into earning respect?   in the Big Sky it does.  On the national scene, maybe, maybe not.  Should our fans be excited about that?  Damn right we should...we haven't had much to be excited about the last few years.

• Upvote 2