SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Griz Blackout Game Day Thread

geaux_sioux

The game went as I expected - D v/s D with the outcome decided by a few quirky plays and the way the refs called the game. I noticed 3 things:

1) You guys really do have a really good D.

2) Big sky refs are bad enough that it may well have effected the outcome (either way).

3) # 51 celebrating after being called on a personal foul where one of the opposition's key players was injured was totally classless.

Hardly a cheap shot; Will Ratelle is not classless. It's not his fault the Montana quarterback is built like a punter. Plus, the refs babied the Griz with some late-hit/unnecessary roughness calls all game. Otherwise, things would've got even more physical.

No question UND was the more physical team yesterday.

• Upvote 2

I never said it was a cheap shot.  I just think high fives while a player is writhing on the ground and you just got flagged for it shows no class.

I watched Ratelle the whole way - very questionable late hit call he was less than half step away - clean upper body hit on a quarterback that was out of the pocket. No way he was celebrating that the player was hurt - not that kinda player and not that kinda team.

"No way he was celebrating that the player was hurt - not that kinda player and not that kinda team."

Watch the repay. Who is writhing, who is high fiving? I'm not saying this typical of your program, but it happened.

He just made a sack of course he is celebrating. How does Ratelle know immediately that he is hurt and wont come back?

You are reaching on this one.

• Upvote 1

So the Griz run for 68 yards against NDSU and 42 against UND. Our rush d is also has a lower ypc against. I never would have guessed that would happen coming into this season.

Agree...amazing when one recalls last year's D.

Agree...amazing when one recalls last year's D.

Exciting thing about the defense playing good is that the offense is improving enough to compliment them. Although the offense didn't score bunches yesterday, they were efficient.

Also, most of the offensive mistakes are of the rhythm/timing variety, which means the offense should definitely continue improving with each week due to increased experience among the offensive lineup.

Had to throw that last one in. How would a player know another is injured immediately after a play is over? BTW, he stepped on JJs ankle. Hardly a cheap shot.

No mention of the two 15 yard penalties on UND vs your receivers that were horrible calls and kept drives going?

Concerning the one targeting call, Montana td shortly after. I can't stand a fricken ref making a judgement call affecting a game so much. How does a team go about reviewing the officiating crew?

Never been a worse time for me to be on the road for a game.

The ending hurts but couldn't be prouder of the way these guys battled.

Sometimes the most difficult thing for a program that is struggling to come back from the depths is learning how to win again.

If you mean by gap closing it going from a 5-6 touchdown gap like last year to a 2-3 touchdown game next year, I agree. If you mean it will be a pick-em game in the next 2-3 years I think you are overly optimistic.   

That's kind of the way I see it too.  However, I do see UND having a chance next year.  It doesn't mean I would pick them to win, but I won't write them off either.  

I loved seeing UND get after the supposed stud Montana QB, anointed "JJ".  I had heard that he would run all over UND and they wouldn't have the speed to keep up with him. 

Yes there were certainly some posters last week who went out of their way to come here and let us know that the Griz would be much tougher than the Kitties. Looking forward to Saturday, go Sioux!

He didn't play half the game.  UND got a late hit and knocked his A** out.  He tried a couple more plays a little later but that was it.

It's called the New Orleans Saints Defense. You must have missed the press conference where Bubba said "I want the two most uncomfortable people in the stadium to be the opposing team's quarterback and his mother."

• Upvote 1

What do people attribute the fact that the offense shows signs of life in the second half to?  Is it excellent coaching adjustments? The other team letting up?

I think they look at the stats, realize they haven't gotten s**t for offensive yards with the "pound it up the gut" offense, and decide to open up the playbook a little more.

Maybe some adjustments here and there, but IMO, the play calling takes on a different look entirely once we are at crunch time. As others have mentioned, I'd like to see that a little earlier in the next game.

• Upvote 3

What do people attribute the fact that the offense shows signs of life in the second half to?  Is it excellent coaching adjustments? The other team letting up?

Typically playing from behind in the 2nd half so the off tackle right on first down and off tackle left on 2nd down which sets up 3rd and long isn't real conducive to getting back into the game in the 2nd half when UND is behind.  

Now if the play calling in the first half mirrored the play calling in the 2nd half of most games.........................

At some point the offense has to score more TDs in a game than the defense I would think.

So the Griz run for 68 yards against NDSU and 42 against UND. Our rush d is also has a lower ypc against. I never would have guessed that would happen coming into this season.

... and they were on the field quite a bit, especially in the first half, and put in uncomfortable position numerous times as well. 

Much of UND's passing game is now play action based under this offensive coordinator.

You can't run play action if the defense doesn't believe you will run the ball.