SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

23 hours ago, cberkas said:

I could see more ACHA D1teams that are looking to move up getting exhibition games against NCAA D1 teams

I couldn't agree more.  For example, last year Lindenwood played games vs Air Force, Denver, and they would have played ASU as well, if not for a covid cancellation.  Those games were all scheduled before they announced their move up to D1.  I really think it would be worth it to keep tabs ACHA vs NCAA D1 scheduling.  This upcoming year I believe Lindenwood, Liberty, UNLV, and Simon Fraser all have games scheduled vs UAA.  UNLV also has this game vs Denver as well.  Will be interesting to see if any others get scheduled.

Seamore Sports interviewed Matt Shasby, UAA's coach, recently, and he basically said he was going to try to schedule ACHA programs that are trying to move up to NCAA.
"Moving to the conference discussion folks are having, Shasby gave a bifurcated answer. first he said “obviously there’s concerns not being in a conference.. but I’ve actually enjoyed the experience of building a schedule.” The unique trips are almost a feature of the system for Shasby. He does see the concerns of not having a conference for the short run.

The second part of his answer was more forward thinking. He said “ further down the line, my goal is to help the Western teams that might be considering making the jump to Division One Hockey. The three year goal is to play those guys and help them as much as possible to convince their Athletic Departments to get convinced to make that jump.” He mentioned working to schedule games with the Oregon Ducks, more games with UNLV, and he’s had talks with Simon Fraser as well. For a western college hockey conference to form, the two Alaska schools need Arizona State and three more teams. Shasby’s advocacy for more programs to come up to the Division One Level could have an exponentially positive effect on this sport."

Ice Time Hockey SW also has a great series of podcasts in which they cover NCAA hockey and ACHA hockey, and it seems rather apparent that they believe certain schools have plans in the works.  They were ahead of everyone on the Lindenwood move.  They recently interviewed the guy in charge of College Hockey Inc, who helps with the feasability studies, and that was incredibly interesting, as he was pretty optimistic about continued growth.

17 minutes ago, GO_FIGHTING_SIOUX_GO said:

I wish Minot State would make a leap and join.

Would be a waste to have another D1 team in the state especially in Minot. MSU is becoming a small fish in a big fish pond with the big D1 schools that are adding hockey. Minot should stay D3 or lower.

20 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Would be a waste to have another D1 team in the state especially in Minot. MSU is becoming a small fish in a big fish pond with the big D1 schools that are adding hockey. Minot should stay D3 or lower.

I dont know how it works but Minot is to play Linderwood ASU and UNLV before they made a move up. Minot is ACHA D1 which is pretty much 1 step below the NC$$. I believe.

4 minutes ago, GO_FIGHTING_SIOUX_GO said:

I dont know how it works but Minot is to play Linderwood ASU and UNLV before they made a move up. Minot is ACHA D1 which is pretty much 1 step below the NC$$. I believe.

NCAA D3 is a step above acha.

Let me ask you who supports anything Minot outside of people in Minot??? People avoid going to Minot like the plague. If the state fair or hostfest was in Bismarck, Fargo, of GF the attendance would easily double. 

4 minutes ago, GO_FIGHTING_SIOUX_GO said:

Would UND blow away Minot State..... absolutely would Minot beat UND a couple years ago when they weren't as talented??..... Maybe not.

Minot has a far ways to get even to the Bemidji St level. Who would want them in their league? …….. calling Alabama Huntsville……..

seriously get out of here with this nonsense about Minot State going D1. UND has a better chance at going FBS in football before that would ever happen.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Let me ask you who supports anything Minot outside of people in Minot??? People avoid going to Minot like the plague. If the state fair or hostfest was in Bismarck, Fargo, of GF the attendance would easily double. 

Are you a little red a$$ed do you need a hug? Canadians 

25 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

What else do you east siders want? You all have the State tourneys and the west sides money from the oil. Now you want the Hostfest and fair? Trade you for State hockey.

17 hours ago, GO_FIGHTING_SIOUX_GO said:

What else do you east siders want? You all have the State tourneys and the west sides money from the oil. Now you want the Hostfest and fair? Trade you for State hockey.

Who loves Minot State enough to bankroll D1 hockey? Please don’t say Josh Duhamel……. Fp

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...