SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Seems Stonehill his actually working on a new arena.  They said in the past that they would potentially build an arena if they received a conference invite.  AHA recently accepted new applications and according to Mike McMahon, he thinks there may be movement on that front.  I also saw a tweet from Guage A. about how bad their arena is, and a JLG guy said that he was working on it (wonder what that could mean).

https://www.collegehockeyinsider.com/p/mailbag-pod-24-whats-the-deal-with
image.png.fd343d3433163f72187474190956d815.png

Robert Morris coach was on the College Hockey West podcast recently, and he seemed to think that there will be a conf realignment shakeup in the AHA, and college hockey in general, but he didn't know when, and it was hard to tell if he was saying that just because of the broader issues within the NCAA, in general.

On 1/18/2024 at 6:46 PM, cberkas said:

The full video is in the link.

@cberkas, thanks for linking that.  I'm critiquing the journalism but that doesn't mean that I don't think you shouldn't have posted this or anything... more info, sources, tidbits of info about this stuff, the better, imo)

News reporters almost everywhere are trash.... this is the first time I've seen any mention of the University itself being officially involved, and the writer doesn't cite the source or anything about how they are involved.  Is this a development?  Who knows!  The reporter says the club is ACHA D2 but then he doesn't specify between ACHA D1 or NCAA D1, perhaps because he doesn't know ACHA D1 is a thing?  How do they have a chance of becoming D1?  We all know it takes more than an arena - did he talk to anyone at the University? "However, thanks to the support of boosters and supporters of both North Carolina hockey and of the university itself, the UNC club ice hockey team might just have a chance at becoming a Division I program in the near future." 

• 1 month later...

Looks like UAA had legit renderings made when they were looking into renovating their existing arena.  I don't think these are currently being considered, now that they seem to be trying for the P3 approach with an entirely new building.  Interesting, never the less.  https://seawolfhockeyalliance.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/Rink-Feasibility-Study-Test-Fit_07.05.22_Reduced.pdf 

Some of the pictures from link:

image.png.22da0081fbeef5524f8946162c962fe9.pngimage.png.39564145ef55386150ee0ee0eddbd87b.png
image.thumb.png.f7ee3f14751fdc6f520b638d07c9297d.png

2 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

With the NHL looking like it's coming to town and the 2034 Olympics very likely I wonder if Utah or BYU or maybe both will jump on the college hockey train

It's possible, Utah, BYU, UVU, Utah State and Weber State all real close.

BYU and UVU could share the Olympic Arena in Provo.

BYU stopped playing in 2022. 

Utah is the one that seems to be following UNLV on how they do things. 

Weber State uses the old Olympic curling arena (Weber County Sports Complex on Weber State University campus seats 2400) and I actually like it, they also added another NHL Ice sheet to the Marquardt Fieldhouse. Might be able to renovate it to add seat to the end that is all windows but behind the bench's I don't think that can add anything.

Utah State was rumored to be getting a new arena but not sure if that ever happened. 

Utah ACHA D1; Weber, Utah Valley, and Utah State ACHA D2.

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

It's possible, Utah, BYU, UVU, Utah State and Weber State all real close.

BYU and UVU could share the Olympic Arena in Provo.

BYU stopped playing in 2022. 

Utah is the one that seems to be following UNLV on how they do things. 

Weber State uses the old Olympic curling arena (Weber County Sports Complex on Weber State University campus seats 2400) and I actually like it, they also added another NHL Ice sheet to the Marquardt Fieldhouse. Might be able to renovate it to add seat to the end that is all windows but behind the bench's I don't think that can add anything.

Utah State was rumored to be getting a new arena but not sure if that ever happened. 

Utah ACHA D1; Weber, Utah Valley, and Utah State ACHA D2.

I went to quite a few days of curling in 2002. The curling village was great and you could hang with the teams. We drank with Kevin Martin and his Canadian team a couple nights and I remember one of my colleagues hitting on the Swedish women. Good times. 

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

as p5 schools come aboard to d1 (uga) does fenton kick losers like scsu and miami out to add eyeballs and prestige to the league by adding schools like uga and other potential p5 schools in the future?

I found the floor plans for Georgia's new arena (zoom in on page 2).  Judging by the team space for the club, it doesn't appear that NCAA D1 hockey has crossed anyone's mind, unfortunately.  The ECHL space looks like it would be barely passable.  Maybe they have areas where they could expand team space, and I'm not sure when these plans were made or if they have since changed, but for D1 hockey in Georgia, we better hope the club team can sell out the building.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x9rpb9r0485993f/081722_ASI 014_CLASSIC CENTER_SIGNAGE PACKAGE- BASIS FOR QUESTION%233_PW Comments.pdf?e=1&st=f291lnh2&dl=0

21 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I found the floor plans for Georgia's new arena (zoom in on page 2).  Judging by the team space for the club, it doesn't appear that NCAA D1 hockey has crossed anyone's mind, unfortunately.  The ECHL space looks like it would be barely passable.  Maybe they have areas where they could expand team space, and I'm not sure when these plans were made or if they have since changed, but for D1 hockey in Georgia, we better hope the club team can sell out the building.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x9rpb9r0485993f/081722_ASI 014_CLASSIC CENTER_SIGNAGE PACKAGE- BASIS FOR QUESTION%233_PW Comments.pdf?e=1&st=f291lnh2&dl=0

with the money they have this could be a women's arena (d1) or just a practice facility down the road with a bigger/better arena later?

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

with the money they have this could be a women's arena (d1) or just a practice facility down the road with a bigger/better arena later?

It's the perfect size for a Men's team.  I'm sure they could add on or something, but I was mainly looking to see how much thought they put into the club facilities, because if they were decked out it could have been a tell that they were at least planning ahead, just in case..

Edit: @SIOUXFAN97  On the bright side, I just read an article that says an FPHL team is moving into the building instead of an ECHL team.  If Georgia wanted a program, I'm guessing the FPHL team would be 10x easier to move, compared to a ECHL team, which it appears they were hoping/planning for.  A D1 team could then theoretically move into the "pro" dressing rooms there.

• Like 2

Would be a huge shame if North Carolina doesn't work with the club hockey team to build an ice sheet as part of this project.  Fit's perfectly with what they're looking for as a potential ancillary project with their new basketball facilities/arena.  A multi purpose arena with decent capacity could work great for some womens bb games, as well as hockey, too.  No reason for the school itself not to be involved with building a hockey arena, which would clearly benefit their students and community.  Hopefully someone like JLG got involved... not sure if the winner of the RFP was announced yet or not.

https://facilities.unc.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/256/2024/02/240207-arena-site-planning-study-rfq.pdf

Given the movement the club hockey program has started toward building their own arena, and the demand for local ice time, I can't think of a potential development that would better meet the demands of the local market while being in balance with the University's needs.... This isn't really even about the potential for NCAA hockey - it's just a joke if UNC doesn't acknowledge the needs of their students and local community.  The club program alone has clearly shown that they NEED an arena, and they have also shown that they have community support, and the demand for local ice time is crazy right now, which is what makes it economically viable for a club hockey program to spearhead the construction of a new arena.