SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Season - "Day by Day"

The Sicatoka

SDSU has been flaunting their facility as the largest in the country even though the field is 80 yards (does look like a great facility), ours will be 100 yards with a section for linemen to practice. I assume ours will be larger?

Add in phase II (whenever that gets completed I don't know) and, yes, UND will have the larger facility. I just can't help but imagine how huge this facility will be for recruiting and "awing" recruits who perhaps aren't familiar with UND football (out of region recruits).

• Upvote 1

Add in phase II (whenever that gets completed I don't know) and, yes, UND will have the larger facility. I just can't help but imagine how huge this facility will be for recruiting and "awing" recruits who perhaps aren't familiar with UND football (out of region recruits).

https://www.undalumni.org/sslpage.aspx?pid=4841

Here is the UND Alumni Association's donation page for Phase II, if anyone is interested....

https://www.undalumni.org/sslpage.aspx?pid=4841

Here is the UND Alumni Association's donation page for Phase II, if anyone is interested....

With the football program starting to turn around, I'm thinking that the giving toward Phase II may start to pick up. It would be nice to get an update on how much has come in since the last update and how much we still need for completion of both Phases.

With the football program starting to turn around, I'm thinking that the giving toward Phase II may start to pick up. It would be nice to get an update on how much has come in since the last update and how much we still need for completion of both Phases.

From my understanding, Phase I is fully pledged, they wouldn't have been able to go forward if it wasn't.  I don't know the amount left to raise on Phase II.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think the original plan was to do it all at once but they decided to split so they could get the IPF built quicker.  Phase II may end up costing a little more because of the delay, but probably worth it in the long run so people can see progress and the IPF portion will be completed much sooner.

From my understanding, Phase I is fully pledged, they wouldn't have been able to go forward if it wasn't.  I don't know the amount left to raise on Phase II.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think the original plan was to do it all at once but they decided to split so they could get the IPF built quicker.  Phase II may end up costing a little more because of the delay, but probably worth it in the long run so people can see progress and the IPF portion will be completed much sooner.

The IPF, coupled with the new coaching staff and the beginnings of on-field success, is going to be a real game-changer on the recruiting trail. Perhaps we're already starting to see that???

So I thought Romon Bridges had left the program but it appears he just had a season-ending injury.

I was wondering where he has been all year.  He would have been helpful in the WR corp.  At least it sounds like outside of the season ending injuries we will be close to full health (even getting Shaugs back finally)

Maybe more donations right now could up the bells and whistles and attract recruits even more. See the hockey locker room.... Imagine if this could even be in the same ballpark as the hockey locker room...

Maybe more donations right now could up the bells and whistles and attract recruits even more. See the hockey locker room.... Imagine if this could even be in the same ballpark as the hockey locker room...

We need a uniform contract in a bad way. Kids want to look good, cool, whatever you want to call it.

SDSU has been flaunting their facility as the largest in the country even though the field is 80 yards (does look like a great facility), ours will be 100 yards with a section for linemen to practice. I assume ours will be larger?

I don't even believe its the largest in the country.

Here are the stats on SDSU's new facility:  526 feet long x 284 feet wide x 82 feet tall (I understand those are the outside dimensions).  Mt. Rushmore would fit inside as would the permanent (west-side) bleachers with press box at SDSU's football stadium (construction underway to replace that facility and the new stadium will be available for the 2016 season).

The reason the practice turf isn't 100 yds is because it was designed to have a 300-meter track with the turf practice field fitting entirely within the track.  So it is marked for 80 yards (the 40 is the center line) with endzones on each end.  The corners of the endzones are "trimmed" off (my words) otherwise they would jut into lane one on the track.  If they had run the turf all the way to the ends of the building...well, do the math: the building is 526 feet long. 

Outside the track, on each end of the building, there are the running lanes for the jumps including pole vault -- both ends of the track.  Lots of room for athletes to stretch etc (missing in most indoor facilities).  There's permanent seating for something like 1500 to 2000 people and room to move in some temporary bleachers if needed. 

It is possible to run a 100-meter dash with plenty of room to slow down at the end of the race -- no need to run into a barrier, padded wall etc.  Same for 110-meter hurdles.

The track has eight lanes...the outside lane is 400 meters.

There are five 300-meter indoor track facilities in intercollegiate sports including: Akron; Grand Valley State; Iowa State; Kent State and SDSU.  I've been in Iowa State's facility -- it's a great facility but there are support columns on the inside of the track, outside of the turf practice field and it seems to me -- just my eyeball observation -- that the corners are a little bit tighter than SDSU's. 

There are some odd-sized tracks (307 meters, e.g.) that are a touch larger to avoid trimming the corners on the endzones.  But overall building size for a facility of this type, the designers and builders say its the largest indoor practice facility in Division I athletics.  You cannot hold an indoor championship meet on a track longer than 300 meters.

SDSU's facility cost a little under $35 million -- all donated. (The new outdoor football stadium with seating for about 20,000, has a $65 million price tag and about $30mm will be bonded while the rest was donated.

I think I can find a picture and if I do, I'll post it.

SDSU's new Sanford Jackrabbit Athletic Facility (the "SJac").  The pictures were taken last Saturday, October 11, 2014. The Daktronics video boards have to be installed along with the usual signage (Exit signs etc.) but she's ready to go.  We'll host a couple of college meets and two high schools meets this year.  I ran track back in the day and always thought the short guys had an advantage on 200 meter tracks because those of us with long legs had to fight to stay on the corners.  A 300-meter track is not an advantage to a long-legged runner but it eliminates the advantage the stubby guys have on 200 meter tracks.

View from north stands, looking to the southwest. 

SoWest_zps7fbb3e51.jpg

Looking south from the North stands.

South_zpsb7a6df42.jpg

View to the southeast.

SoEast_zps49dabeab.jpg

View of the north stands looking east

NlookingE_zpse8b26afd.jpg

Here are the stats on SDSU's new facility:  526 feet long x 284 feet wide x 82 feet tall (I understand those are the outside dimensions).  Mt. Rushmore would fit inside as would the permanent (west-side) bleachers with press box at SDSU's football stadium (construction underway to replace that facility and the new stadium will be available for the 2016 season).

The reason the practice turf isn't 100 yds is because it was designed to have a 300-meter track with the turf practice field fitting entirely within the track.  So it is marked for 80 yards (the 40 is the center line) with endzones on each end.  The corners of the endzones are "trimmed" off (my words) otherwise they would jut into lane one on the track.  If they had run the turf all the way to the ends of the building...well, do the math: the building is 526 feet long. 

Outside the track, on each end of the building, there are the running lanes for the jumps including pole vault -- both ends of the track.  Lots of room for athletes to stretch etc (missing in most indoor facilities).  There's permanent seating for something like 1500 to 2000 people and room to move in some temporary bleachers if needed. 

It is possible to run a 100-meter dash with plenty of room to slow down at the end of the race -- no need to run into a barrier, padded wall etc.  Same for 110-meter hurdles.

The track has eight lanes...the outside lane is 400 meters.

There are five 300-meter indoor track facilities in intercollegiate sports including: Akron; Grand Valley State; Iowa State; Kent State and SDSU.  I've been in Iowa State's facility -- it's a great facility but there are support columns on the inside of the track, outside of the turf practice field and it seems to me -- just my eyeball observation -- that the corners are a little bit tighter than SDSU's. 

There are some odd-sized tracks (307 meters, e.g.) that are a touch larger to avoid trimming the corners on the endzones.  But overall building size for a facility of this type, the designers and builders say its the largest indoor practice facility in Division I athletics.  You cannot hold an indoor championship meet on a track longer than 300 meters.

SDSU's facility cost a little under $35 million -- all donated. (The new outdoor football stadium with seating for about 20,000, has a $65 million price tag and about $30mm will be bonded while the rest was donated.

I think I can find a picture and if I do, I'll post it.

Congrats  on the new indoor practice center at SDSU.  Bisonville doesn't think its a big deal, but we've almost copied it.

Isn't the job of bragging up SDSU normally reserved for 89rabbit.  Why hasn't he been posting lately, as his status was the director of SDSU Alumni before he had to abruptly resign.  Maybe he needed to attend to his wife who was in the Brookings county jail for credit card fraud of a SDSU booster.  If you are an SDSU booster, you definitely need LifeLock if you donate to the Alumni Association.

Congrats on the new indoor practice center at SDSU. Bisonville doesn't think its a big deal, but we've almost copied it.

Isn't the job of bragging up SDSU normally reserved for 89rabbit. Why hasn't he been posting lately, as his status was the director of SDSU Alumni before he had to abruptly resign. Maybe he needed to attend to his wife who was in the Brookings county jail for credit card fraud of a SDSU booster. If you are an SDSU booster, you definitely need LifeLock if you donate to the Alumni Association.

Jeez,

Leave the guy alone he comes in piece.