SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Season - "Day by Day"

The Sicatoka

bang: yes, I came in peace but I like your spelling...SiouxVolley seems intent on me (and others I've watched him attack) leaving in pieces.

Oh well, every fan group has a few and I don't let the nuts take any space in my head.

I know you're building a new indoor facility which will have 100 yards of turf and a 300-meter track.  Is the plan to have removable turf (like USD's DakotaDome...to use the 200 meter track, they roll up  the turf) because the 100 yard turf will be larger than a 300-meter track.  You have a different situation in that you can use the Alerus Center for indoor practices.  SDSU had no indoor practice facility until the SJac was opened.

Thanks for the inside scoop JackJD.... we both are lucky to have such nice facilities to utilize moving forward. I have no idea what they are saying about you or us on BV because I do not have an account there nor do I frequent it in any way.  I like to worry about my own backyard.

SDSU's new Sanford Jackrabbit Athletic Facility (the "SJac"). The pictures were taken last Saturday, October 11, 2014. The Daktronics video boards have to be installed along with the usual signage (Exit signs etc.) but she's ready to go. We'll host a couple of college meets and two high schools meets this year. I ran track back in the day and always thought the short guys had an advantage on 200 meter tracks because those of us with long legs had to fight to stay on the corners. A 300-meter track is not an advantage to a long-legged runner but it eliminates the advantage the stubby guys have on 200 meter tracks.

View from north stands, looking to the southwest.

SoWest_zps7fbb3e51.jpg

Looking south from the North stands.

South_zpsb7a6df42.jpg

View to the southeast.

SoEast_zps49dabeab.jpg

View of the north stands looking east

NlookingE_zpse8b26afd.jpg

Looks like a great facility!!!

UND's facility will be larger than SDSU's.  SDSU's is a little less than 150,000 square feet while UND's will be about 180,000.  It will be interesting to compare the radius of the track turns corners for both facilities because UND's turf will be 100 yards plus endzones while SDSU's has 80 yards plus endzones.  In any event, that's a great looking facility for UND!

UND's facility will be larger than SDSU's.  SDSU's is a little less than 150,000 square feet while UND's will be about 180,000.  It will be interesting to compare the radius of the track turns corners for both facilities because UND's turf will be 100 yards plus endzones while SDSU's has 80 yards plus endzones.  In any event, that's a great looking facility for UND!

Likewise for SDSU, thanks for the info and pics!

SDSU's new Sanford Jackrabbit Athletic Facility (the "SJac").  The pictures were taken last Saturday, October 11, 2014. The Daktronics video boards have to be installed along with the usual signage (Exit signs etc.) but she's ready to go.  We'll host a couple of college meets and two high schools meets this year.  I ran track back in the day and always thought the short guys had an advantage on 200 meter tracks because those of us with long legs had to fight to stay on the corners.  A 300-meter track is not an advantage to a long-legged runner but it eliminates the advantage the stubby guys have on 200 meter tracks.

View from north stands, looking to the southwest. 

SoWest_zps7fbb3e51.jpg

Looking south from the North stands.

South_zpsb7a6df42.jpg

View to the southeast.

SoEast_zps49dabeab.jpg

View of the north stands looking east

NlookingE_zpse8b26afd.jpg

Very impressive!

I don't know whether this has been mentioned before or not, but according to the most recent SFI entry, juco transfers Dylan Bakker and Charles Flowers are red-shirting this season.

I read that. It makes me feel better about them not seeing the field yet. It makes sense now and shows this staff has a plan.

One needs to drive by the construction site to realize how massive this building is actually going to be.  Very, very excited to see the finished product.

I was on campus today and checked it out, it really is quite large once you get close to it.  I noticed that floor is dug down quite a bit, maybe four feet or so.  Does anyone know if that will be filled in, or will the floor be "below grade?"

I was on campus today and checked it out, it really is quite large once you get close to it. I noticed that floor is dug down quite a bit, maybe four feet or so. Does anyone know if that will be filled in, or will the floor be "below grade?"

The floor will be "below grade"; is actually cheaper as the ground thus acts as insulation.

Makes sense. Anyone know the height from floor to ceiling? Curious if punters will have room to kick away or if they will have to hold back so they don't hit the ceiling?

I don't believe there will be high enough ceilings for punting. One other tidbit that people may not know is that there will be no air conditioning in the field area (1st phase). It's going to be a nice facility, but lack of cooling for the summer months was a cost savings cut to get the place built. It is also not designed for air conditioning to be added at a later time.

There was also a nice vestibule/atrium area removed from the entrance to make budget. They are getting a 100 yard field and 400 meter track with some seating. All offices and workout/weight rooms will be 2nd phase when funds are raised.

I don't believe there will be high enough ceilings for punting. One other tidbit that people may not know is that there will be no air conditioning in the field area (1st phase). It's going to be a nice facility, but lack of cooling for the summer months was a cost savings cut to get the place built. It is also not designed for air conditioning to be added at a later time.

There was also a nice vestibule/atrium area removed from the entrance to make budget. They are getting a 100 yard field and 400 meter track with some seating. All offices and workout/weight rooms will be 2nd phase when funds are raised.

Cost cutting in the expense of quality is never ok.
  • Upvote 2

Good thing its hot for about 3 months out of the year. Late June to early Sept.

Although it's not as important to have ac as it is to have heat since memorial is used all summer and the IPF is really going to mostly be used in the winter or if it's storming.

Most buildings on campus do not have A/C. If they do you can see the 1980's A/C hanging out the windows(Ie. Okelly)

Although it's not as important to have ac as it is to have heat since memorial is used all summer and the IPF is really going to mostly be used in the winter or if it's storming.

Your exactly correct, this is going to give them a facility that can be used from November to April and other times when the weather doesn't cooperate. Turf time will drastically increase during the off season for the players. Great recruiting tool.