SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Season - "Day by Day"

The Sicatoka

https://twitter.com/NoDak_Nation/status/511965005546147840/photo/1

Letter sent by Bubba to the students. Good outreach, hopefully it works.

Great sentiment.

Another +1 over Mussman.

Hopefully it works and support grows. Despite how the team has played on the road thus far, UND football should always play better at home in the Alerus.

Go UND!

https://twitter.com/NoDak_Nation/status/511965005546147840/photo/1

Letter sent by Bubba to the students. Good outreach, hopefully it works.

Great letter by Bubba!! He is earning respect by not only the players but by the 12th man. He knows fan support could very well boost your team, playing in front of 2000 like Muss's team did last year against UNC is no help at all.

I love how he takes the time to do that stuff.  He spends every spare minute thinking of how to develop the program, whether it be on the field, off the field, recruiting, fanbase....

I agree, great for Bubba to reach out like that. 

I have a question. Speaking of developing a program, what do you UND fans think about the staff pulling the redshirts off the 9 or 10 true freshmen this year? It is obviously a rebuilding job this year without much hope for post season play. Do you think it would have been smarter to redshirt them and trade their least productive year for what should be their most productive year? 

Not criticizing your staff, I think Bohl and his staff were way to quick to pull the redshirts off of Morlock, Gee-Tucker and DeLuca last year to basically play special teams and in mop up duty. I would much rather that they were redshirt freshmen this year instead off true sophomores. Unless the true freshman is going to start and is much better than their competition, redshirt them. 

I have a question. Speaking of developing a program, what do you UND fans think about the staff pulling the redshirts off the 9 or 10 true freshmen this year? It is obviously a rebuilding job this year without much hope for post season play. Do you think it would have been smarter to redshirt them and trade their least productive year for what should be their most productive year?

Not criticizing your staff, I think Bohl and his staff were way to quick to pull the redshirts off of Morlock, Gee-Tucker and DeLuca last year to basically play special teams and in mop up duty. I would much rather that they were redshirt freshmen this year instead off true sophomores. Unless the true freshman is going to start and is much better than their competition, redshirt them.

I think Bubba knew this season was a lost season so why not give those players a fresh start next season where UND should be a lot better.

It may sound cliche, but Bubba wants to win as soon as possible at UND, while also doing everything the "right" way. All these young kids playing now will ultimatley help out UND in the long run. I think when you're in a winning position already, its best to develop the youth via a redshirt, but considering the position UND football is in right now, true freshmen need to play right away if they make the team better, IMO. 

I honestly think Bubba played the best players, but I'm sure it also crossed his mind that playing young players sets the team up well when the true freshmen are all juniors and seniors (2 to 3 years down the road). 

After this season and next season, there will be several juniors and seniors that have seen playing time their entire collegiate athletic career up to that point. That bodes well for UND and their potential success. 

I'm surprised so many true freshmen are playing. We will not contend this year or next so these guys are hopefully playing for a contender only in their Jr and Sr years. Plus, IF he does keep the redshirt on some next year, it's more likely this tean doesn't contend until these guys are Srs.

Im no expert, so I assume there's some method to this madness.

I don't know if Bubba is thinking this but players can redshirt any year. It worked out for McGill. I know he was hurt but not red shirting his freshman year makes it possible.

If they will help the team win then its a positive. Winning breeds winning. Even during a rebuilding year there is nothing worse for a program to lose every weekend. Now those who had their red shirts pulled will have a year of experience over the other shirts and recruits coming in. They will be the future leaders. Its a calculated risk. But he has to get the ball rolling with new blood.

Not sure how to link a Facebook page. but it appears Montana State will be wearing throw back uniforms (from 1984) for their homecoming game against us next weekend.

Helmets are still missing the Cat's logo and no pictures yet of the jerseys, I kind of like the pants that go with the 1984 uniforms.

• 3 weeks later...

I realize the staff is playing the hand it was dealt, but I really wish there were more young players who were healthy enough and good enough to have earned playing time on the offensive line this year. It would be nice to feel like whatever struggles the OL has experienced were due to youth, and were just a prelude to better things next season. But aside from Miller, none of the freshmen have been able to get on the field. And of course, thanks to Muss, there are no sophomores at all. Will Stockwell ever get and remain healthy? Can Cox put on 30 or 40 pounds? What's the deal with Bell not even being listed on the 2-deep? And can Francis, Taylor and/or Stiner, or even one of the walk-ons, step in and compete for playing time as soon as next year?

At one point Jake Francis was #1 on the depth chart at center. I wonder if he is any better at snapping than Boas. CCan certainly can't be worse......

I think Bubba and staff are trying to preserve 4 full seasons for Francis.

IMO there will be 3 Freshman that see the field next year. The future looks good.

At one point Jake Francis was #1 on the depth chart at center. I wonder if he is any better at snapping than Boas. CCan certainly can't be worse......

Jake Francis sounds to be good judging by his recruiting interest and fall camp reps. He'll start next year as a redshirt freshman, possibly over Boas or replacing Henson. He was recruited by Knauf who likely wants him to redshirt before getting on the field as a starter.