SiouxSports.com Forum

#Roccowatch2014

Frozen4sioux

That doesn't matter. I, for one, actually thought Miller deserved it too. Those numbers probably will never be repeated.

Sorry, I think it does matter. A lot more than plus/minus rating, which is the main argument the Gionta crowd was using. :silly:

Every year, there are probably a half-dozen players that are deserving of the award. I am simply saying that Panzer was given the short end of the stick in part because of where he played and where he was from. Gionta didn't have the numbers to win it that year, so they gave it to Miller so a kid from a small, non-Division I school (at the time) didn't win it. The year Duncan won it (2007), there was an unusual absence of candidates that really stood out. And even Hrkac had his detractors in 1987, which is so ridiculous I am not even going to go there. :angry:

I also will point out that after 2001, players from smaller schools started winning the award after years of practically ignoring them. I have always wondered if there was a backlash of sorts over the 2001 decision and it might have influenced the voters after that?

I think it would make more sense to have an award for every position (forward, defense, goaltender, special teams, fourth liner, etc.) so that we are comparing apples to apples. The Hobey, as it stands right now, is a subjectively political award.

• Upvote 1

Sorry, I think it does matter. A lot more than plus/minus rating, which is the main argument the Gionta crowd was using. :silly:

Every year, there are probably a half-dozen players that are deserving of the award. I am simply saying that Panzer was given the short end of the stick in part because of where he played and where he was from. Gionta didn't have the numbers to win it that year, so they gave it to Miller so a kid from a small, non-Division I school (at the time) didn't win it. The year Duncan won it (2007), there was an unusual absence of candidates that really stood out. And even Hrkac had his detractors in 1987, which is so ridiculous I am not even going to go there. :angry:

I also will point out that after 2001, players from smaller schools started winning the award after years of practically ignoring them. I have always wondered if there was a backlash of sorts over the 2001 decision and it might have influenced the voters after that?

I think it would make more sense to have an award for every position (forward, defense, goaltender, special teams, fourth liner, etc.) so that we are comparing apples to apples. The Hobey, as it stands right now, is a subjectively political award.

Let me ask it this way....why should panzer have won the award over miller?

He was the best player/scorer in the toughest league while Miller was the best goalie in a weak league. Did I get it?

I do the "my league is tougher than your league" all the time. However the CCHA was not terrible. millers numbers are not repeatable and his team took the natty. In retrospect, I think the judges got it right.

I do the "my league is tougher than your league" all the time. However the CCHA was not terrible. millers numbers are not repeatable and his team took the natty. In retrospect, I think the judges got it right.

Ryan Miller never won a national championship. David McKee (04-05) repeated Millers numbers, he even had a better GAA than Miller!

Ryan Miller never won a national championship. David McKee (04-05) repeated Millers numbers, he even had a better GAA than Miller!

I stand corrected...I thought msu took a natty with him?

What was McKees save %? That has less to do with the team in front of him than gaa.

The differences in conference schedule are relevant. The WCHA was tough top to bottom in 2001, while the CCHA was very top heavy during that time (3 to 4 good teams and a bunch of average to mediocre after that). I think it is obvious that slamming the door on Bowling Green is a little easier than doing it against the likes of Minnesota, Denver, Colorado College, Wisconsin and North Dakota on a week in, week out basis.

And as others have pointed out, Michigan State didn't win the NCAA title that year; Boston College beat us in OT. UND beat Michigan State (and Karl Goehring outdueled Ryan Miller) 2-0 in the semifinals.

The differences in conference schedule are relevant. The WCHA was tough top to bottom in 2001, while the CCHA was very top heavy during that time (3 to 4 good teams and a bunch of average to mediocre after that). I think it is obvious that slamming the door on Bowling Green is a little easier than doing it against the likes of Minnesota, Denver, Colorado College, Wisconsin and North Dakota on a week in, week out basis.

And as others have pointed out, Michigan State didn't win the NCAA title that year; Boston College beat us in OT. UND beat Michigan State (and Karl Goehring outdueled Ryan Miller) 2-0 in the semifinals.

Who scored the goals?

I stand corrected...I thought msu took a natty with him?

What was McKees save %? That has less to do with the team in front of him than gaa.

The year they were "suppose" to win it, a Jeff Panzer led team beat Miller and Michigan State 2-0. So do you discount Miller's GAA than?

Who scored the goals?

Spiewak scored like a minute into the game and Bayda added the 2nd toward the end of the 1st.

The next day, Miller won the Hobey.

The day after that, UND lost the heartbreaker in OT to BC after tying it with 30sec left in the game.

In your first paragraph you mention bowling green for the CCHA but fail to mention either Michigan tech or even Alaska anchorage.

As for your second paragraph....yes that was already pointed out and I responded to that poster before you even submitted your post. Just trying to save you those precious seconds in life :)

The year they were "suppose" to win it, a Jeff Panzer led team beat Miller and Michigan State 2-0. So do you discount Miller's GAA than?

I am confused by what you mean. I think millers save % that particular year was .95 exactly with ten shutouts. Those are video game numbers in my books. I do remember that game now, not sure why I thought msu won the natty. Probably had something to do with miller winning the natty.

Is Rocco coming back like he should?

Yes. Rest well. There is no doubt. Nor much room for reasoned debate. The kid is too smart to be swayed by a few pieces of silver

that will still be there later, and when he has much work to do. That work is best and most productively done at North Dakota.

Ha. Sure hope so.