SiouxSports.com Forum

#Roccowatch2014

Frozen4sioux

What is the max in the A?

Depends....Potulny was the highest paid player a few years ago making $400 I believe but there was something funny with his contract being 1 way I believe. Players will make anywhere from 70-100 I believe. Go to capgeek.com. More than he'd make if he wasn't playing hockey

I have seen you attack numerous posters here that did not agree with you. Or will you deny that? Your close ties to the hockey team should have clued you in that Rocco was about to sign.

Yep, I probably was clued in. Wasn't surprised at all. What's your petty point Watch Maker? Does the Arizona weather make you grumpy and petty?

Yes you did you accused him of something he has done over and over! Don't you know that is politically incorrect and that can offend some;)

Don't worry, given his past history, he will be banned soon and then re-emerge again under another name shortly after his ban. We should keep a tally of all his different names.

$70k...terrible, terrible business decision by Rocco...I believe his NHL dream is gone, and he should've enoyed college and gotten a degree.

Wow...love the kid, but he is not NHL ready

Couldn't agree more... with all of it.

Not even close to Oshie. Oshie could stickhandle around a player in a phone booth and the next shift put ya thru the boards. I give Rocco a 15 percent chance of being a regular in the NHL.

Agreed, I understand what he was saying ... Rocco was fun to watch; but his game and excitement level wasn't even comparable to Oshie. Youtube Rocco college highlight and Oshie college highlight to see my point

Pretty sweet system though. If he's wrong when he "breaks" something it's because he was using reverse psychology. If he isn't the first to bring something up, it's because he was withholding it. Can't lose.

Heads he wins; tails you lose.

$70k...terrible, terrible business decision by Rocco...I believe his NHL dream is gone, and he should've enoyed college and gotten a degree.

How can you consider this a bad business decision? It was a good business decision. Let me see. I can make at least 210K minus agent fees plus his bonus of 92K according to Goon which would make sense. That is 300K for three years. Or I can play another year of college. Where I could have a career ending injury and say goodbye to a chunk of change. Ever heard the saying, "a bird in the hand is better than the two in the bush"? You would turn down a 300k deal for a chance at nothing?

Depends....Potulny was the highest paid player a few years ago making $400 I believe but there was something funny with his contract being 1 way I believe. Players will make anywhere from 70-100 I believe. Go to capgeek.com. More than he'd make if he wasn't playing hockey

I believe commodore had the highest amount in the AHL, three million I believe. He had a one way deal with the bluejackets and they put him on waivers and he cleared so he went to thier AHL team and played. He made way more money than anyone, I believe he paid for new weight lifting equipment for the team.

I believe commodore had the highest amount in the AHL, three million I believe. He had a one way deal with the bluejackets and they put him on waivers and he cleared so he went to thier AHL team and played. He made way more money than anyone, I believe he paid for new weight lifting equipment for the team.

You would think that there has been others in the same situation. Why saying an average salary in the A can be deceiving. Say you have a guy worth a 100 million. You put him in a homeless shelter with nine other guys. Now you can say the average worth of the ten guys is 10 million a piece. When really you have one rich guy and nine homeless still.

I agree with you a lot and I too think he should have played one more year but that would be because of the team next year and the success they will probably have. However I am not going to knock the kid for giving it a try. Fla will give him a shot....I will be shocked if he actually makes it some day as a regular but 70k is 70k. He's not going to make that out of school doing anything else. Also, I heard he basically has his degree and is planning to knock out 3-4 classes.

These guys go to the AHL, either make the big leagues or they head to Europe and make good money. They come home and typically find good jobs in sales. Rocco seems to be a bright guy with a decent head on his shoulders, when hockey is done I'm guessing he will be relatively successful.

Before Rocco came in didn't he pretty much state his goal was to play in the NHL? I'm not saying he'll be there any time soon but I thought I recall a statement from him saying he didn't plan on playing here more than a a couple years before he moves on to the next level.

I really would like to know how much his knee injury and surgery causing him to miss almost all his true freshman year set him back. I think it has had a major effect. I had a friend who played at a hockey east school and they played against Rocco and the USDT and he said Rocco was far and away the best player on the ice as a 17 year old. He didn't live up to expectations here but I wish him the best going forward.

How can you consider this a bad business decision? It was a good business decision. Let me see. I can make at least 210K minus agent fees plus his bonus of 92K according to Goon which would make sense. That is 300K for three years. Or I can play another year of college. Where I could have a career ending injury and say goodbye to a chunk of change. Ever heard the saying, "a bird in the hand is better than the two in the bush"? You would turn down a 300k deal for a chance at nothing?

The odds of him getting hurt and earning nothing are incredibly small. I would say his upside odds resulting from staying and having a monster year are exponentially greater, but still small.

If you rule out the extremes, and assume that he will not have a career ending injury nor will he be in the NHL, his deal looks the same next spring as now. In the meantime, he will have had another year living a free college life. The time value of one year is offset by the small increase to the CBA.

Gotta make the business decision based on likely, not unlikely events.

When you're a high 2nd round draft pick and you've already spent 3 years in college I don't think it has a lot to do with being NHL ready. It's just time to move on and give your pro career a shot.

When you're a high 2nd round draft pick and you've already spent 3 years in college I don't think it has a lot to do with being NHL ready. It's just time to move on and give your pro career a shot.

Fair point- it isn't about business, nor NHL readiness, but a kid chasing a long-shot dream.

They said on the news last night that he has been contemplating this for the last couple of months. I hope that it wasn't an all-consuming contemplation that removed any focus from what he was doing at the time. I will give him the benefit of the doubt on that, but as Hak and the coaches always say, if they are going to come back, they need to be all in. So, if there would have been any second thoughts for Grimaldi, who knows if the focus would drift next year. He stated he wanted new challenges, so now is his time to meet those tough challenges. Of course I thought he already had challenges he could still meet at this level. Regardless, I wish him well and hope he attains his highest goals, because it will only reflect well on the program.