SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2014-15 season

Frozen4sioux

From what ive seen the last 2 seasons half the NCAA players might do that. Since it seems like now the thing to do is lay on the ice and act hurt to draw a penalty

I don't think the Europe leagues have as big of a problem with that.  I saw Robbie Earl play in Salzburg, and he didn't dive once.  He was practically captain of the diving team at Wisconsin!

Major awards are usually Thursday at the Frozen Faceoff.  I think they have an event thing for athletes and coaches.

There is the award ceremony at Muse in Minneapolis.  It is open to the public, however people have to get tickets.  It's that Thursday before the games and is a pretty nice ceremony with some of the greatest videos ever edited :)

• Upvote 1

@SchlossmanGF: Finalists for NCHC coach of the year: Dave Hakstol, Dean Blais, Scott Sandelin #northdakota

@SchlossmanGF: Other UND finalists: Zane McIntyre (player of year, goalie of year), Mark MacMillan (defensive fwd of year), JSchmaltz (offensive d-man).

All per brad

http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=100126

@SchlossmanGF: Finalists for NCHC coach of the year: Dave Hakstol, Dean Blais, Scott Sandelin #northdakota

@SchlossmanGF: Other UND finalists: Zane McIntyre (player of year, goalie of year), Mark MacMillan (defensive fwd of year), JSchmaltz (offensive d-man).

Coach will probably go to Blais or Sandelin, just because they like to give it to teams that struggled the year prior.  Zane and Mark each have a shot, but I've gotta think Laleggia will beat out Schmaltz for offensive d-man.

Coach will probably go to Blais or Sandelin, just because they like to give it to teams that struggled the year prior.  Zane and Mark each have a shot, but I've gotta think Laleggia will beat out Schmaltz for offensive d-man.

Laleggia is a special player, I also have to believe he will get it. 

Obviously I'd love for JS to win it but can't say I'd blame them for giving it to LaLeggia.

He has 12g-23a compared to Schmaltz' 3g-23a

My picks:

Herb Brooks Coach of the Year
Dean Blais, Omaha
Dave Hakstol, North Dakota
Scott Sandelin, Minnesota Duluth

Player of the Year
Jonny Brodzinski, St. Cloud State, Jr., F
Joey LaLeggia, Denver, Sr., D
Zane McIntyre, North Dakota, Jr., G

Rookie of the Year
Louie Belpedio, Miami, D
Danton Heinen, Denver, F
Patrick Russell, St. Cloud State, F

Goaltender of the Year
Kasimir Kaskisuo, Minnesota Duluth, Fr.
Ryan Massa, Omaha, Sr.
Zane McIntyre, North Dakota, Jr.

Forward of the Year
Jonny Brodzinski, St. Cloud State, Jr.
Austin Czarnik, Miami, Sr.
Trevor Moore, Denver, So.

Defenseman of the Year
Matthew Caito, Miami, Jr.
Joey LaLeggia, Denver, Sr. (last year’s winner)
Andy Welinski, Minnesota Duluth, Jr.

Offensive Defenseman of the Year
Ian Brady, Omaha, So.
Jordan Schmaltz, North Dakota, Jr.
Jaccob Slavin, Colorado College, So.

Defensive Forward of the Year
Daniel Doremus, Denver, Sr.
Mark MacMillan, North Dakota, Sr.

LaLeggia was on the first team, Schmaltz was not.  I'd take that as a sign.

I have never had any doubt whatsoever that LaLeggia will win it.

My picks:

Herb Brooks Coach of the Year

Dean Blais, Omaha

Dave Hakstol, North Dakota

Scott Sandelin, Minnesota Duluth

Player of the Year

Jonny Brodzinski, St. Cloud State, Jr., F

Joey LaLeggia, Denver, Sr., D

Zane McIntyre, North Dakota, Jr., G

Rookie of the Year

Louie Belpedio, Miami, D

Danton Heinen, Denver, F

Patrick Russell, St. Cloud State, F

Goaltender of the Year

Kasimir Kaskisuo, Minnesota Duluth, Fr.

Ryan Massa, Omaha, Sr.

Zane McIntyre, North Dakota, Jr.

Forward of the Year

Jonny Brodzinski, St. Cloud State, Jr.

Trevor Moore, Denver, So.

Defenseman of the Year

Matthew Caito, Miami, Jr.

Andy Welinski, Minnesota Duluth, Jr.

Offensive Defenseman of the Year

Ian Brady, Omaha, So.

Jordan Schmaltz, North Dakota, Jr.

Jaccob Slavin, Colorado College, So.

Defensive Forward of the Year

Daniel Doremus, Denver, Sr.

Mark MacMillan, North Dakota, Sr.

These are all my picks too, can't argue that much with any of them.

Only reason I say Blais is they love to give it to coaches whose teams made a big improvement from the prior year and who outperformed preseason expectations.

Then Blasi should have been on the list. UND has no back to back losses Omaha and Duluth both do.

Then Blasi should have been on the list. UND has no back to back losses Omaha and Duluth both do.

Regardless of last year, Miami was picked to win the league this preseason. Omaha and UMD both improved and outperformed. All that said, Hak deserves it this year.

Regardless of last year, Miami was picked to win the league this preseason. Omaha and UMD both improved and outperformed. All that said, Hak deserves it this year.

Not in the league's pre-season poll. UND was picked to win in the NCHC preseason poll. 

I think both USCHO writers picked Miami to win though. 

It bugs me to see guys that are clearly offensive defensemen win "Defenseman of the Year." Especially when the NCHC has a category tailor made for them in the "Offensive Defenseman of the Year." Why not give it to the best shut-down d-man or best all-around d-man in the league? I don't think time on ice is tracked in NCAA, so it would be hard to gauge some of these players without really watching the games.

The NHL has that issue with the Norris trophy as well, putting way too much stock in defenseman points. When guys like Nick Lidstrom or Zdeno Chara win it, that's one thing, but when Mike Green is a finalist...

• Upvote 1

Only reason I say Blais is they love to give it to coaches whose teams made a big improvement from the prior year AND who outperformed preseason expectations.

Coaching in college is much more than just getting the most out of players. Recruiting and maintaining high level players is a huge part of college coaching. I think this is one of Haks strength, albeit he has more tools in his toolbox than most other programs with our facilities and tradition. Were I have been critical of Hak is his ability to win at the Frozen Four (please don't turn this into a fire Hak debate). That said, I believe Hak deserves to win coach of the year based on his body of work throughout the regular season.

Coaching in college is much more than just getting the most out of players. Recruiting and maintaining high level players is a huge part of college coaching. I think this is one of Haks strength, albeit he has more tools in his toolbox than most other programs with our facilities and tradition. Were I have been critical of Hak is his ability to win at the Frozen Four (please don't turn this into a fire Hak debate). That said, I believe Hak deserves to win coach of the year based on his body of work throughout the regular season.

FS4l likes this in 3-2-1

• Upvote 1