SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2014-15 season

Frozen4sioux

As a fan who has seen games at both the old and new Mariucci Arenas, I can tell you that the atmosphere at the old arena was incredible. It really was an intimidating place for opposing teams and fans.

As a fan I was intimidated attending games at the old Mariucci arena.  I was pretty sure the boy scouts would help maroon /gold clad fans first, and I'd never make it out of the fire.

Too soon?

When it was announced that UND was going with a full-time national anthem singer at REA this year, I didn't think much of it.  However, a few weeks in, and with all due respect to the talented Mark J. Lindquist, the lack of variety is starting to grate.

Sometimes you just need a bunch of little kids screaming off-key into the mike, or the lead singer of some forgotten 80's-90's metal band, or the Pride of the North, or Roseanne, or a world-renowned kazooist, or a pretty co-ed, or several pretty co-eds.

Am I crazy for even caring?

When it was announced that UND was going with a full-time national anthem singer at REA this year, I didn't think much of it.  However, a few weeks in, and with all due respect to the talented Mark J. Lindquist, the lack of variety is starting to grate.

Sometimes you just need a bunch of little kids screaming off-key into the mike, or the lead singer of some forgotten 80's-90's metal band, or the Pride of the North, or Roseanne, or a world-renowned kazooist, or a pretty co-ed, or several pretty co-eds.

I recall a game at the old arena back in the eighties when they brought the Oak Ridge Boys over from "the Fritz" to sing the anthem at the game before their 8 o'clock show.  No one told them about the "...home of the Sioux".  I think they almost fell over on the ice.  Good memories.  

And yes, bring back the variety.

When it was announced that UND was going with a full-time national anthem singer at REA this year, I didn't think much of it. However, a few weeks in, and with all due respect to the talented Mark J. Lindquist, the lack of variety is starting to grate.

I agree. He's good, but it seems very corporate to have one full-time singer. I like giving other local singers/groups and UND bards singers a chance to shine.

I recall a game at the old arena back in the eighties when they brought the Oak Ridge Boys over from "the Fritz" to sing the anthem at the game before their 8 o'clock show. No one told them about the "...home of the Sioux". I think they almost fell over on the ice. Good memories.

Actually, the Oak Ridge Boys invited THEMSELVES over to REA! They were in their bus en route to the Chester Fritz and noticed a large crowd walking the opposite direction. Assuming that they'd be the only event in town that night, they thought the driver was going the wrong way. When informed that 6,000 or so fans would be watching the Sioux play that same night at the opposite end of campus, the ORB asked the driver to turn around and take them to the game. They literally walked into the arena and were led to someone who asked them if they'd like to sing the national anthem before heading back to the CF for their show. The fans at REA got a real treat that night. Great memory from the old Ralph!

• Upvote 1

I recall a game at the old arena back in the eighties when they brought the Oak Ridge Boys over from "the Fritz" to sing the anthem at the game before their 8 o'clock show.  No one told them about the "...home of the Sioux".  I think they almost fell over on the ice.  Good memories.  

And yes, bring back the variety.

Mark is pretty accomplished.

Mark co-founded Breath Is Limited Motivational Speaking, LLC as his way of bringing a message of hope, passion, perseverance, and joy to people all over the world.  www.BreathIsLimited.com   Mark is also a Partner at The 7 Mindsets, a Managing Partner at the financial planning firm Retirement Turning Point as well as the Founder of Heel Kicks Around the World, an organization that hosts high-energy flash mobs at college campuses and town squares all over the nation.  Mark is a former Sergeant in the United States Air Force and an Afghanistan War Veteran who grew up in Ortonville, Minnesota.

Mark currently lives in Fargo, North Dakota.

Keep Mark. I HATE the "this is my version in case a talent scout is in the building" crap we used to get. The song and music and timing of our national anthem should not be subject to some whim or audition for American Idol.

I like him too. I was sick and tired of the "American Idol" tryouts of the national anthem that no one could sing along with. I started emailing The Ralph several years ago that they needed to upgrade the national anthem. I did not suggest going with one person, but just that they stick with people who could sing the national anthem in a manner so that people could sing along.

• Upvote 2

Likely us or Mankato up top- don't like the #1 target playing a mediocre WCHA team in Lake State- recipe for bad loss.

We won last night despite a couple huge mistakes at the end of the game- hopefully the lesson is learned even without the pain of a loss

Agreed.

Yeah, I forgot about Mankato.  Tops in PW but did play a terrible opponent.  Could make sense though.

Suppose we could do like Chicago fans and cheer instead of sing along, the Madhouse gets crazy loud.

we already use their goal song, so why not do this as well.  that truly is a remarkable thing to experience it in person.  I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

Keep Mark. I HATE the "this is my version in case a talent scout is in the building" crap we used to get. The song and music and timing of our national anthem should not be subject to some whim or audition for American Idol.

Thanks to Mark, we don't have to put up with all those "glee clubs" butchering the national anthem anymore.  If we are going to sing it at the start of every game, let's do it right.

Stick with Mark.