SiouxSports.com Forum

FROZEN 4 - Philadelphia - UND-MN-BC-UNION

AZSIOUX

Does anyone have a guess as to which of the four programs will have the most support in Philly next Thursday? I'm really curious to see which team's fans make the most noise.

And will the winner of the early game (Boston College vs. Union) cheer for North Dakota, thinking that they want the Gophers knocked out before the final?

For what it's worth, here are the drive times to Philadelphia...

From Grand Forks, ND (University of North Dakota): 23 hours

From Minneapolis, MN (University of Minnesota): 19 hours

From Chestnut Hill, MA (Boston College): 5.5 hours

From Schenectady, NY (Union College): 4 hours

Discuss. :)

Dave

i disagree this is one of the most talented teams weve had in a while top to bottom were strong from the net out, the rodents are already looking past the sioux saying they got the easier draw (nanny). Gophers have a solid team too but the difference is we have way more heart, the rodents expect to win just by showing up and were gonna put a 2 spot on them before they know what hit them, wilcox is inferior to goth in my opinion.

Heart won't get you much. Look at Robert Morris. They had plenty of heart but didn't make it. I am curious as to what makes Wilcox , the Hobey finalist (who we all know won't likely win but he's still in the final 10), inferior in your opinion. If it was any other team than UND maybe you'd have an argument about expecting to win by showing up. That's the theory about what happened in the B1G. But obviously it didn't happen at the regionals and this is the frozen 4. Everyone should know nothing at this point is easy.

Heart won't get you much. Look at Robert Morris. They had plenty of heart but didn't make it. I am curious as to what makes Wilcox , the Hobey finalist (who we all know won't likely win but he's still in the final 10), inferior in your opinion. If it was any other team than UND maybe you'd have an argument about expecting to win by showing up. That's the theory about what happened in the B1G. But obviously it didn't happen at the regionals and this is the frozen 4. Everyone should know nothing at this point is easy.

i honestly believe goth is better, wilcox is good dont get me wrong. Our forwards are better than people think, we are fast, i think our speed surprises teams. Like you say heart only gets you so far

Just my opinion, but Gothberg's inconsistency is largely a thing of the past. I'm sure there are numbers to back it up, but I don't have time to track them down right now. He has stolen games all year long, from the trip to Western Michigan, where he pilfered six points, to last Saturday. Has he let in the occasional soft goal? Yes, as even the best goalies do from time to time. But it is not regular anymore. What is a regular occurence is letting in very few goals, stopping the easy ones and the hard ones, and giving his team a chance to win.

I think he's closing in on the transtition from good to great goalie.

Just my opinion, but Gothberg's inconsistency is largely a thing of the past. I'm sure there are numbers to back it up, but I don't have time to track them down right now. He has stolen games all year long, from the trip to Western Michigan, where he pilfered six points, to last Saturday. Has he let in the occasional soft goal? Yes, as even the best goalies do from time to time. But it is not regular anymore. What is a regular occurence is letting in very few goals, stopping the easy ones and the hard ones, and giving his team a chance to win.

I think he's closing in on the transtition from good to great goalie.

very well articulated, goth is 3-0 in ncaa play soon to be 5-0, beat two hobey nom. Goalies and about to beat a third hobey nom. Goalie, not too shabby

Here are a few numbers RE: the four starting goaltenders. UND and Gothberg both got off to rocky starts this season, but here is how Goth's & the other three FF starting goalies' numbers rank nationally in games played since Nov 30th:

Gothberg: 1.71 GAA (1st Nationally), .934 Save % (6th), 18 Wins (2nd), .804 Win % (2nd), 3 Shutouts (T-6th)

Stevens (Union): 1.92 GAA (6th), .936 Save % (5th), 21 Wins (1st), .846 Win % (1st), 5 Shutouts (T-1st)

Wilcox (UM): 1.76 GAA (2nd), .937 Save % (T-2nd), 16 Wins (6th), .771 Win % (4th), 3 Shutouts (T-6th)

Demko (BC): 2.05 GAA (10th), .925 Save % (16th), 13 Wins (9th), .778 Win & (3rd), 2 Shutouts (T-14th)

Here are a few numbers RE: the four starting goaltenders. UND and Gothberg both got off to rocky starts this season, but here is how Goth's & the other three FF starting goalies' numbers rank nationally in games played since Nov 30th:

Gothberg: 1.71 GAA (1st Nationally), .934 Save % (6th), 18 Wins (2nd), .804 Win % (2nd), 3 Shutouts (T-6th)

Stevens (Union): 1.92 GAA (6th), .936 Save % (5th), 21 Wins (1st), .846 Win % (1st), 5 Shutouts (T-1st)

Wilcox (UM): 1.76 GAA (2nd), .937 Save % (T-2nd), 16 Wins (6th), .771 Win % (4th), 3 Shutouts (T-6th)

Demko (BC): 2.05 GAA (10th), .925 Save % (16th), 13 Wins (9th), .778 Win & (3rd), 2 Shutouts (T-14th)

I'd say if anyone is a possible weak link, it's Demko.

Has anyone done this charter thing before? Does it fill up and people get booted? Do they add another plane if there is a bunch of takers? Any idea what the numbers are that fit into a charter?

I'm thinking I should have a plan B?

I'm willing to bet that you should be safe for this as it probably hasn't sold out as they are still pushing it via twitter. I remember in 2005 it sold out like in one day and was all over the news that it did. have a great trip, wish I was able to go as well.

This is the position that was weak before with stud teams, not only a little shakey on UND's end, but stellar from the team that was supposed to lose to UND! The goalie won the game!

This is what makes me excited about the FF!

This is the position that was weak before with stud teams, not only a little shakey on UND's end, but stellar from the team that was supposed to lose to UND! The goalie won the game!

This is what makes me excited about the FF!

if you look at all 7 nattys the one thing they all have in common is a stellar goaltender. I see goth winnin multiple nattys before hes gone. Thats how good i believe he is especially under pressure

If Zane gives up only his usual 2 goals vs. MN I love our chances. More than 2 and UND will have to generate more offense than they probably would like.

Well put. I agree. Gotta keep their goals low. If we are going to win, I highly doubt it is going to be a 6-5 type of game.

Actually, I have been studying the numbers and Rau (14g-23a-37pts) has the most points for the Gophers. Rocco Grimaldi has 17g-22a-29pts). UND has 14 players with 10 or more points, so does the Gophers.... If anything UND mirrors the Gophers. Also, UND didn't have the luxury of playing MSU, Ohio State and PSU four times this season. UND has the nation high scoring defense corps in the nation averaging 2.76 points per game. Chad is right, UND's start killed them, but the season is a body of work. Like I told some of the Gopher and Bulldog fans earlier in the season, there's no trophy for having the most wins in October and November.

Goon you can reference PSU as much as you want, but then I could refer you to CC whose 51 PWR is just one spot ahead of PSU at 52. I could also point out that only half of the NCHC had an overall record > .500, that the average PWR for each team was 24 for the NCHC vs. 21 for the B1G, and that every B1G had a SOS that's top 15 in the country, the NCHC had two: (tallied before playoffs began)

TEAM PWR SOS

SCSU 9 21

UND 12 23

WMU 18 26

UMD 21 4

DU 26 36

UNO 29 22

Miami 32 16

CC 51 14

TEAM PWR SOS

UM 1 1

UW 5 15

UMi 11 9

OSU 21 13

MSU 37 11

PSU 52 3

Of course none of it will mean a hill of beans when these teams play next week.

While watching the BC vs Lowell game I noticed how disciplined BC is. Once the puck hit a certain line or space the players all went to designated positions. BC preys on the college games lack of passing execution . If they tried this style in the NHL they'd get trounced every game but it plays nicely for them in the college ranks. They are very beatable though. Norte Dame beat them twice in the east regional.