SiouxSports.com Forum

FROZEN 4 - Philadelphia - UND-MN-BC-UNION

AZSIOUX

Not icing because Union got to the dot of the face off circle first. Not high sticking because it wasn't touched.

So college icing is the same as the new NHL rule as well? Didn't know that if that's the case. I assumed college stayed the same with no touch icing regardless of whomever is closer. Announcer did say something about a player being on the other side of the blue line...so I'm assuming he was referring to the Union player.

Boy if BC had scored there Union could have had issues with the officials. I don't know who it was, but one of the BC forwards just about tackled the Union defenseman on the blue line which allowed Johnny to get the shot off behind him.

Congrats to Union. One of the two evil empires is down.....now for the other.....

Boy if BC had scored there Union could have had issues with the officials. I don't know who it was, but one of the BC forwards just about tackled the Union defenseman on the blue line which allowed Johnny to get the shot off behind him.

Totally saw that!

So college icing is the same as the new NHL rule as well? Didn't know that if that's the case. I assumed college stayed the same with no touch icing regardless of whomever is closer. Announcer did say something about a player being on the other side of the blue line...so I'm assuming he was referring to the Union player.

It is called hybrid icing. It is still no touch icing, but it is triggered by the first player to get to the faceoff dot in the zone. If it is a defensive player, the whistle is blown for icing. If it is a tie, the whistle is blown for icing. If the offensive player gets to the dot first, icing is waived off and play continues. Please note that sometimes the officials don't see quite straight and whistles are blown when they shouldn't be.

It is called hybrid icing. It is still no touch icing, but it is triggered by the first player to get to the faceoff dot in the zone. If it is a defensive player, the whistle is blown for icing. If it is a tie, the whistle is blown for icing. If the offensive player gets to the dot first, icing is waived off and play continues. Please note that sometimes the officials don't see quite straight and whistles are blown when they shouldn't be.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm familiar with how it works having seen it a plenty at the NHL level. I was apparently in the dark about the fact it was done this way in the college game now too. I like the change!!

Congrats to Union. One of the two evil empires is down.....now for the other.....

I thought he was offsides.