SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

10 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Indiana, like of the "we don't play FCS teams any more" Big Ten? 

Idaho only avoids the penalty with Indiana if the sport is dropped entirely.

The LSU game is the only one that can be cancelled without penalty if Idaho goes FCS.

So maybe $7 mill just for Idaho to go FCS.  It could build on to the Kibrie Dome for that price.

2 hours ago, Gothmog said:

For some reason, this quote from Monty Python's "The Holy Grail" seems particularly appropriate in this thread:

Sir Bedevere: ...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped.

King Arthur: This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how sheep's bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.

Naw.  The bizon troll presence is exceedingly low intelligence.

1 minute ago, The Hawk said:

Gene Taylor is a finalist for the Minnesota AD position.  Great, he will try to screw us over like he did when he was at NDSU if he gets position.   I wouldn't doubt if this was a NDSU plan all along. 

other than the wcha he would've have control over anything und will do or does...i hope he gets the job and faison can sen him snapchats of our natty trophy.

3 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

Gene Taylor is a finalist for the Minnesota AD position.  Great, he will try to screw us over like he did when he was at NDSU if he gets position.   I wouldn't doubt if this was a NDSU plan all along. 

Go away.  

5 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

We are going to play Pac 12 teams in football, we won a NC without playing them in hockey, him being at Minnesota has no barring on what we do. 

4 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

That why the whole moving to FCS is a ruse of a PR ploy.  Idaho can't afford to move down to FCS with those contracts.  The Indiana one was just signed recently.  Something is up with the NCAA rule changes.  Emmert knows Idaho's situation well since his previous job was at Washington, and he is rumored to want to help them.

It sure is. I can already feel the outrage across the country of "How can we let the Univ of Idaho move down to FCS".:cool:

Don't you have to actually have to have the public realize that you play FBS football to really try to play a PR move to get people outraged about moving down? 

Now it sounds like Fullerton is talking about separate Big Sky divisions for football, but both divisions FCS.

1 hour ago, The Hawk said:

This has nothing to do with anything in this thread. I'm left to assume you must be trolling....

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

The LSU game is the only one that can be cancelled without penalty if Idaho goes FCS.

So maybe $7 mill just for Idaho to go FCS.  It could build on to the Kibrie Dome for that price.

You're reading those contracts different than everyone else. Even the LSU contract, the only one that actually addresses the possibility of them being in the FCS, allows it to be cancelled by either party with no penalty. Idaho moving to FCS isn't a breach of contract. It is entirely possible (and likely in a few cases) that there will be mutual agreements that either cancel the contracts or amend the dollar amounts, but I have zero clue how you can come up with it costing Idaho $7 million.

16 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

That why the whole moving to FCS is a ruse of a PR ploy.  Idaho can't afford to move down to FCS with those contracts.  The Indiana one was just signed recently.  Something is up with the NCAA rule changes.  Emmert knows Idaho's situation well since his previous job was at Washington, and he is rumored to want to help them.

Probably by getting schools to show pity on them when it comes to buyouts.

Some of the contracts will probably be mutually agreed upon to cancel, but at this point, it's just going to be a really expensive FCS game for most teams.  Here's how it breaks down for the teams Idaho is playing in each year:

2018: Fresno only has Idaho

2018: Wyoming has Idaho and Wofford

2018: Northern Illinois only has Idaho

2018: Florida only has Idaho

2019: Wyoming has Idaho and Texas St

2019: Penn St only has Idaho

2019: San Jose St only has Idaho

2020: Temple only has Idaho

2020: San Jose St only has Idaho

2020: LSU only has Idaho (Note, this game has been removed from LSU's website)

2021: Indiana only has Idaho

2022: Indiana only has Idaho

2022: Old Dominion only has Idaho

2021 or 2022: Nevada only has Idaho

Looks like schedule-wise it will only affect Wyoming in 2018 and 2019, as they're the only school Idaho plays that has two FCS matchups in those years.  It could also affect the Big 10 teams (Penn St and Indiana) as the conference has a rule against playing FCS teams.  Those could mutually be canceled, or Idaho could collect some money in a buyout from PSU and Indiana.  Every other game could stay on the schedule as is and won't have a negative scheduling impact for those teams.

And yet Idaho is supposed to pay about $7 million to cancel the games?  

19 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

(1) Those contracts stipulate that Idaho must be an FBS team.  If it's nkt, there would be penalties that Idaho has to pay.

Most P5 teams want FCS teams that are within a state or two, as the visitors can bus and therefore be given less money.  Those teams are effectively paying for an FBS win which Idaho says it can't deliver after 2017.

(2) Most of those contracts can not be reduced to FCS games, as some already have an FCS game scheduled or is no longer allowed by the conference.  In addition, Idaho would WL record would be filled with FBS losses, which is not good for FCS unless they continue to reward good losses.

(1) It's already been shown by someone who has actually seen the contracts that Idaho doesn't have to be an FBS team to play Florida or Penn State.  It does have to be against LSU, however there is the mutually agreed cancellation policy which means no penalty for any of those three games you mentioned.

(2) Also untrue, unless by most you mean 5 of 16. The only ones it affects are Wyoming in 2018 & 19, Penn State in 2019, and Indiana in 2011 and 22.

15 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Or, Idaho doesn't have to pay a penalty for the Indiana games. There is the option to mutually cancel the games.  However, if Idaho wants to play hardball, they could force Indiana to cancel the games unilaterally. In that case, Idaho actually makes money for not playing the games.

Keep regurgitating your "facts."

33 minutes ago, southpaw said:

(1) It's already been shown by someone who has actually seen the contracts that Idaho doesn't have to be an FBS team to play Florida or Penn State.  It does have to be against LSU, however there is the mutually agreed cancellation policy which means no penalty for any of those three games you mentioned.

(2) Also untrue, unless by most you mean 5 of 16. The only ones it affects are Wyoming in 2018 & 19, Penn State in 2019, and Indiana in 2011 and 22.

Or, Idaho doesn't have to pay a penalty for the Indiana games. There is the option to mutually cancel the games.  However, if Idaho wants to play hardball, they could force Indiana to cancel the games unilaterally. In that case, Idaho actually makes money for not playing the games.

Keep regurgitating your "facts."

Some one who is an expert an contract law I guess.  How does playing a bunch of FBS games each year help an FCS team?  Idaho needs the break those contracts, but you deny those facts.  A bank shouldn't sign a mortgage with you.

7 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Some one who is an expert an contract law I guess.  How does playing a bunch of FBS games each year help an FCS team?  Idaho needs the break those contracts, but you deny those facts.  A bank shouldn't sign a mortgage with you.

Buckets of money.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

$$$$

Wyoming has a more pressing need to break the contracts than Idaho in '18 and '19.  However, it would be mutually beneficial so they will likely reach an agreement without any sort of fee for either school.  If that happens, Idaho then has nine FCS games in '18.

If Penn State cancels in '19, that means 11 FCS games that year.

Assume LSU is cancelling 2020, so that means they have 10 in '20.  Indiana will likely cancel '21 and '22, so that means 11 in '21 and 10 in '22.

It leaves them with less margin for error in FCS as it pertains to the playoffs but it also leaves them with a much bigger budget.  UNI scheduled 2 FBS games in '12 and '14 as a way to make up some budgetary issues.  Despite those two losses in '14, they made the playoffs with an FCS record of 9-3.

33 minutes ago, Texas rancher said:

Enough of the logical thinking, you're all bison trolls if you disagree with the great and powerful oz!  I mean siouxvolley.  Pay no attention to that dimwit behind the curtain.

Please debate the topic, not attack other posters. Thanks.

• Upvote 4