SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

4 hours ago, darell1976 said:

No one gave a chance for UND to join the MVFC back in 2010 why would they give us a chance now. The SL visit gave no indication the MVFC was offering an invite (like they did to USD) so we passed and took the offer from the BSC that gave UND football a home. It was either Big Sky or FCS Indy ball. 

No one gave SD Anything.  They negotiated their own chance because they had leverage, just like ND has.

5 hours ago, Herd said:

No one gave SD Anything.  They negotiated their own chance because they had leverage, just like ND has.

USD had the SL to help them, being a member already, UND has no desire to join unless travel expenses are the next to be on the chopping block which makes the SL attractive. It's not like UND couldn't be a football only member in the BSC like UC Davis and Cal Poly. 

7 hours ago, darell1976 said:

USD had the SL to help them, being a member already, UND has no desire to join unless travel expenses are the next to be on the chopping block which makes the SL attractive. It's not like UND couldn't be a football only member in the BSC like UC Davis and Cal Poly. 

Except that UC Davis and Cal Poly were never full members. There may be resistance if UND wanted to leave football in the BSC and move the rest. idk. 

2 hours ago, zonadub said:

Except that UC Davis and Cal Poly were never full members. There may be resistance if UND wanted to leave football in the BSC and move the rest. idk. 

Yeah.  I don't think for a minute that UND would get an affiliate Big Sky position in football if we went to the Slummit.

The Big Sky gave Davis and Poly affiliate memberships, which accomplished two things:  it forced USD and UND to later make a Big Sky full membership decision, and it kept the California schools from dropping football or keeping them from the WAC.  They were in a time of major budget cuts.

19 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

My Heavenly Father can deliver anything and He is not a tooth fairy.

Given the context, you seem to be suggesting that your "Heavenly Father" will deliver on the claims you've made in this thread. I trust that's not what you meant...   

12 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

Given the context, you seem to be suggesting that your "Heavenly Father" will deliver on the claims you've made in this thread. I trust that's not what you meant...   

He can deliver whatever He wills as it will be good.  The tooth fairy won't.  We perpetually underestimate what He can do, so we don't ask extravagant things, like the oil bonanza in the Bakken for the past seven years.  The Heavenly Father gives extravagantly, but too often that isn't prayed.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

He can deliver whatever He wills as it will be good.  The tooth fairy won't.  We perpetually underestimate what He can do, so we don't ask extravagant things, like the oil bonanza in the Bakken for the past seven years.  The Heavenly Father gives extravagantly, but too often that isn't prayed.

God expects humility, integrity and honesty.  While I sometimes fall short, this is Something to ponder.

WVU's President announced that the Big 12 won't be expanding.  The P5 doesn't want to lose G5 schools as they lose cheaper home games and they were waiting if a Big12 expansion would open up spots for Idaho and NMSU and UMass.  Expect a rule change this summer to allow FCS conference with orphan FBS teams to move up to FBS.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

WVU's President announced that the Big 12 won't be expanding.  The P5 doesn't want to lose G5 schools as they lose cheaper home games and they were waiting if a Big12 expansion would open up spots for Idaho and NMSU and UMass.  Expect a rule change this summer to allow FCS conference with orphan FBS teams to move up to FBS.

Do you have a reference for that? Last I saw he was in favor of expansion.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/19/west-virginia-president-in-favor-of-big-12-expansion/

More recently, the ESPN writer who covers the Big 12 seemed to think that they will expand.

Yes, it's been rather quiet lately regarding expansion, but that is about to change with spring meetings coming in May. A few things to point out: The Big 12 could vote to expand this summer but wait months to decide on who to add.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/111263/big-12-mailbag-expansion-buzz-cfp-format-leagues-best-names

Do have a source for the FBS rule change?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, 3Putt said:

Do you have a reference for that? Last I saw he was in favor of expansion.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/19/west-virginia-president-in-favor-of-big-12-expansion/

More recently, the ESPN writer who covers the Big 12 seemed to think that they will expand.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/111263/big-12-mailbag-expansion-buzz-cfp-format-leagues-best-names

So much for that.  See above.

5 hours ago, southpaw said:

I'm just really excited for this summer when this alleged rule passes and gets things in motion.  Or will it be kicked down the road when it doesn't happen?

What year does it go down then SV?

Seems to me you were one of the scoffers that went along with the bizon troll crowd when I said that UND will get in the Big Sky before we even announced going to DI.  The troll crowd was apoplectic with laughter and many Sioux fans were embarrassed that I had such a bold prediction.  Stood by that thought even through the long transition and flirtations with Double and the Slummit. 

Those messages here seem to be forgotten, so just wanted to remind you all of history.

This summer there will be a call from P5 schools to change the FBS moveup rules.  Don't know the date.

13 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Seems to me you were one of the scoffers that went along with the bizon troll crowd when I said that UND will get in the Big Sky before we even announced going to DI.  The troll crowd was apoplectic with laughter and many Sioux fans were embarrassed that I had such a bold prediction.  Stood by that thought even through the long transition and flirtations with Double and the Slummit. 

Those messages here seem to be forgotten, so just wanted to remind you all of history.

This summer there will be a call from P5 schools to change the FBS moveup rules.  Don't know the date.

I didn't follow any of the conference stuff when it was happening, so no I was not part of this alleged massive group of haters. 

I'm one of the recent people who has seen numerous statements of yours not come true and thus I don't believe anything you say. Throw enough stuff at the wall and eventually something will stick, I guess. 

16 minutes ago, southpaw said:

I didn't follow any of the conference stuff when it was happening, so no I was not part of this alleged massive group of haters. 

I'm one of the recent people who has seen numerous statements of yours not come true and thus I don't believe anything you say. Throw enough stuff at the wall and eventually something will stick, I guess. 

Exact stuff as said on bisonville.  Figures.

16 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

What SD did to get into the Summit/MVFC was a much more impressive feat than UND's move to the BSC.  SD had the same offer as UND, everyone with  a pulse at that time had a BSC offer.  If SDSU, SD or NDSU had wanted to be in the BSC at that time, they would have moved.  They did not.  Predicting that UND was going to the BSC was a low bar, as the BSC opened the doors to a lot of schools at that time.

SD used their BSC offer to leverage the MVFC and get what they truly wanted.  They got the gold star for negotiating, while und followed the path of least resistance to the BSC.

In 2003, predicting a Dakota school to the BSC was bold, in 2007 it was not.

• Downvote 2

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2014 at 6:11 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Here's the MAC in 2012:

Ohio 21,844

Northern Illinois 20,877

Toledo 20,552

Kent State 17,880

Central Michigan 16,036

Bowling Green 15,632

Miami (OH) 15,333

------- below the unenforced line

Western Michigan 14,579

Buffalo 13,242

Ball State 12,930

Massachusetts 10,901

Akron 9,275

Eastern Michigan 3,923

Fullerton has often stated that the Big Sky doesn't look different from the profile of a conference like the MAC and Sun Belt. UND should be at the level of competition with a Ball St, Bowling Green, Kent St, W Michigan, and C Michigan. The cities those schools are in are not significantly more capable for hosting FBS than Grand Forks.

I have been to an MU, or Miami (OH), HOMECOMING game and I can tell you that without some serious trickery there is no way they have 15,000 people. So, I am sure that we could use some trickery to if we needed to hit a line.

5 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Exact stuff as said on bisonville.  Figures.

Same tactic you use every time some one questions your predictions. Just like clock work you deflect by trying to lump them in to the BV crowd and then bring up one of the predictions that you actually got right out of the thousands youve made.. Of course we cant forget the patting yourself on the back all the while.  So predictable.