SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

26 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

So all the bizon trolls and their pals here are saying the new Big Sky  commish, who was an associate commish for the Big Ten for ten years, is not other circumstantial evidence the the Big Sky wants to go FBS.  Do I have that right?

Yes.

She only has experience in the SoCon, then straight to a P5 conference. Does that mean the Big Sky is going to be a P5 conference too?  Or are you implying that is just circumstantial? 

16 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Someone who has experience with negotiating national TV contracts.  Why would the Big Sky choose such a person?

Williams main duty was basketball and football operations. She may have had some knowledge of the TV contracts but Mark Rudner oversees the majority of the TV stuff for the B1G.

I'm sort of new to all this, but at a time when many schools are evaluating their athletic budgets and their commitment to big-time college sports, what's in it for the BSC or its member schools to make that leap to FBS?  

Many of the schools are in geographically isolated areas or small cities that just don't have a large corporate presence or a high population - both of which are critical to financial success. Many are also located in states where there are already big, established FBS programs - so "market share" might be tough to grow. In my ignorance is there something I'm missing?

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

Yes.

She only has experience in the SoCon, then straight to a P5 conference. Does that mean the Big Sky is going to be a P5 conference too?  Or are you implying that is just circumstantial? 

So she's doesn't know broadcasting executives, but just knows ground crews, security, and concessions people.

Interesting.

19 minutes ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

I'm sort of new to all this, but at a time when many schools are evaluating their athletic budgets and their commitment to big-time college sports, what's in it for the BSC or its member schools to make that leap to FBS?  

Many of the schools are in geographically isolated areas or small cities that just don't have a large corporate presence or a high population - both of which are critical to financial success. Many are also located in states where there are already big, established FBS programs - so "market share" might be tough to grow. In my ignorance is there something I'm missing?

All research schools that are not DIII have been working to get to FBS.  It's pretty simple, but bizon trolls and Southpaw will tell you differently.

17 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

All research schools that are not DIII have been working to get to FBS.  It's pretty simple, but bizon trolls and Southpaw will tell you differently.

I will?  Thank you for speaking on my behalf, but next time please try and be accurate.

Of course schools like UND should try and be FBS. It's your asinine way of them getting to FBS that I think is incorrect. It's tough to keep the moving target straight thoug . You'll have to give us a full summary on how this "PR move" by Idaho is part of the strategic master plan of the big Sky to go FBS. 

9 hours ago, southpaw said:

Some of the contracts will probably be mutually agreed upon to cancel, but at this point, it's just going to be a really expensive FCS game for most teams.  Here's how it breaks down for the teams Idaho is playing in each year:

2018: Fresno only has Idaho

2018: Wyoming has Idaho and Wofford

2018: Northern Illinois only has Idaho

2018: Florida only has Idaho

2019: Wyoming has Idaho and Texas St

Looks like schedule-wise it will only affect Wyoming in 2018 and 2019, as they're the only school Idaho plays that has two FCS matchups in those years. 

As also a Wyoming grad and season ticket holder, I'm sure coach Bohl is just happy that none of these FCS teams are the University of North Dakota.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, southpaw said:

I will?  Thank you for speaking on my behalf, but next time please try and be accurate.

Of course schools like UND should try and be FBS. It's your asinine way of them getting to FBS that I think is incorrect. It's tough to keep the moving target straight thoug . You'll have to give us a full summary on how this "PR move" by Idaho is part of the strategic master plan of the big Sky to go FBS. 

You and bizon trolls have been needlessly attacking me for years stating my posts about realignment are garbage.  Turnabout is fair play.

The Idaho announcement was a ruse for the NCAA to step in.

First, President Staben, if he wanted to keep his job for moving down to FCS, should have stated that Idaho needed x amount of dollars to stay FBS through 2023.  That would have put the onus on the fans.  Instead he's the bad guy, unless he knows what's coming.

Secondly, Idaho didn't cut sports or the budget to go FCS, even though they would see a massive revenue decline and have like 17 sports.  FCS only needs 14, so why isn't Idaho cutting non Big Sky mandated sports unless it intends to stay FBS?  Cutting women's swimming and men's golf could be justified right now if Staben was serious about FCS.

Thirdly, there are some rumors and reports that some Idaho alumni offered millions to keep the program at FBS.  Idaho didn't respond.

The NCAA will soon step in and adjust the rules for FBS, allowing Big Sky schools to move up if they choose.  Staben knows this and is just giving the NCAA a good play book for them to step in.

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

The Idaho announcement was a ruse for the NCAA to step in.

First, President Staben, if he wanted to keep his job for moving down to FCS, should have stated that Idaho needed x amount of dollars to stay FBS through 2023.  That would have put the onus on the fans.  Instead he's the bad guy, unless he knows what's coming.

Secondly, Idaho didn't cut sports or the budget to go FCS, even though they would see a massive revenue decline and have like 17 sports.  FCS only needs 14, so why isn't Idaho cutting non Big Sky mandated sports unless it intends to stay FBS?  Cutting women's swimming and men's golf could be justified right now if Staben was serious about FCS.

Thirdly, there are some rumors and reports that some Idaho alumni offered millions to keep the program at FBS.  Idaho didn't respond.

The NCAA will soon step in and adjust the rules for FBS, allowing Big Sky schools to move up if they choose.  Staben knows this and is just giving the NCAA a good play book for them to step in.

So we can expect this to start happening this summer? 

9 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Idaho's graduation ceremony in Moscow is May 14th.  The NCAA announcement will be before then.

Otherwise Staben will hear boos instead of  cheers.

And when there is no announcement this summer, let alone in two weeks, I'm assuming you'll stop posting this drivel?

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

I said this thread was a prediction, and the realignment thread had speculation.

You always find a way to distort what was written here.  But that's what trolls do.

So asking a question for clarification is now distortion? Got it.:blink:

18 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

I've heard something similar to that recently somewhere ... :silly: