SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm surprised the guy isn't advocating building a football stadium at I-29 and Highway 200. 

Having said that, "Siouan" please review the board/forum rules, specifically those about trolling. You're showing. 

In no way I am I agreeing with Siouan but I thought this was a "speculation" thread. How is his speculating different from a number of other posters' other than you don't like the potential outcome? He didn't attack anyone until he was attacked. Is he trolling? Maybe but then others have too with the difference being the audience they are fishing.

Welcome differing point of view. While Sioux fans may disagree on many topics, one also need not even be a Sioux fan to be interested in the Sioux and able to discuss them within the confines described.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, 3Putt said:

In no way I am I agreeing with Siouan but I thought this was a "speculation" thread. How is his speculating different from a number of other posters' other than you don't like the potential outcome? He didn't attack anyone until he was attacked. Is he trolling? Maybe but then others have too with the difference being the audience they are fishing.

•  

You are right how about cut all athletics at NDSU and turn that into a 2 year school and have everything at UND you know like it was from 1883-1889. It would be good for the state.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Siouan said:

I actually don't believe cutting the football program is that far fetched.  Sioux ID is with Hockey, not football.  With the current interim President, (former Gov), it is certainly possible he could see the state benefiting from Sioux = Hockey; Bison = Football.  Isn't that what sort of happened this year.... 2 national championships... 1 football, 1 hockey.  Cutting Sioux FB to reinforce Sioux hockey = 5 national hockey championships ....?  North Dakota, besides being the worlds 3d leading nuclear power, ... is also the nation's leading FB & Hockey powers.

UND won a NC in football in 2001 and at the same time the reigning NC UND was playing for their 2nd title in a row only to come up short against Boston College. So we can have hockey and football NC at the same school therefore cutting football is just stupid. Nice try Bison guy.

• Upvote 2

On April 17, 2016 at 6:21 PM, SiouxVolley said:

WVU's President announced that the Big 12 won't be expanding.  The P5 doesn't want to lose G5 schools as they lose cheaper home games and they were waiting if a Big12 expansion would open up spots for Idaho and NMSU and UMass.  Expect a rule change this summer to allow FCS conference with orphan FBS teams to move up to FBS.

So the P5 conferences are so worried about losing 3 bottom feeder FBS schools that they can beat up on theat they are willing to add 30+ FBS schools that have no business moving up? They would be willing to pull in another 30 schools to split up the revenue even further? It doesn't sound like the greedy P5 schools to me. The P5 conferences are encouraging scheduling other P5 schools to increase their strength of schedule anyway, I don't think losing 3 bottom feeder G5 schools will matter much when there have been more than 3 FCS schools to take their place in the last 2 or 3 years.

37 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

So the P5 conferences are so worried about losing 3 bottom feeder FBS schools that they can beat up on theat they are willing to add 30+ FBS schools that have no business moving up? They would be willing to pull in another 30 schools to split up the revenue even further? It doesn't sound like the greedy P5 schools to me. The P5 conferences are encouraging scheduling other P5 schools to increase their strength of schedule anyway, I don't think losing 3 bottom feeder G5 schools will matter much when there have been more than 3 FCS schools to take their place in the last 2 or 3 years.

Especially since Idaho and NMSU were-are thinking of dropping to FCS?  Like the B12 would consider them.?  :0

34 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

So why not kick out half the G5 teams that won't ever be good?  The P5 schools want the ability to schedule them and therefore avoid multi losses to P5 teams.  Two or three new FBS leagues would benefit P5 more than it would cost, as guarantee game costs would go through the roof.  Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Kansas schools secretly want another G5 league in their footprint, as they bring fans.  Eastern Big Ten and southern Big 12 schools have an advantage with the MAC and CUSA in their territories.

Been explaining this for more than a year, but bizon trolls deny the facts.

1 hour ago, nd1sufan said:

If the P5 schools create a rule about only scheduling G5 or higher there is a huge need for another G5 conference west of the Mississippi.   Right now there is only 1 G5 and 2 P5.  Anyone involved with with Big Sky that has discussed a Big Sky move up has talked about the void in the West.  

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

So why not kick out half the G5 teams that won't ever be good?  The P5 schools want the ability to schedule them and therefore avoid multi losses to P5 teams.  Two or three new FBS leagues would benefit P5 more than it would cost, as guarantee game costs would go through the roof.  Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Kansas schools secretly want another G5 league in their footprint, as they bring fans.  Eastern Big Ten and southern Big 12 schools have an advantage with the MAC and CUSA in their territories.

Been explaining this for more than a year, but bizon trolls deny the facts.

Facts? Opinion--may be. Or as you posted earlier---speculation?

1 hour ago, bison73 said:

Facts? Opinion--may be. Or as you posted earlier---speculation?

All the bizon troll postings in this thread are because they are really nervous that this is true.  If it was false, they'd leave it alone.

In their simple minds, FBS will only be granted to those who earned it.  Like Coastal Carolina or Texas St!

15 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

All the bizon troll postings in this thread are because they are really nervous that this is true.  If it was false, they'd leave it alone.

In their simple minds, FBS will only be granted to those who earned it.  Like Coastal Carolina or Texas St!

Whats there to be nervous about? Your fairy tales? You have UND fans question you on the same subjects. Are they nervous also?:lol:

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

If the Big Sky moves up wouldn't other upper conferences move or merge like have a BSC/MVFC FBS conference then have a couple other conferences on the east coast merge. Or does the presence of Idaho and NMSU enter the equation.

5 hours ago, darell1976 said:

If the Big Sky moves up wouldn't other upper conferences move or merge like have a BSC/MVFC FBS conference then have a couple other conferences on the east coast merge. Or does the presence of Idaho and NMSU enter the equation.

Given our financial position right now there is no way we are moving up to FBS.   I'm just glad steps are being taken to hang on to what we can and no way can we afford to expand any programs.   

1 hour ago, TRex said:

Given our financial position right now there is no way we are moving up to FBS.   I'm just glad steps are being taken to hang on to what we can and no way can we afford to expand any programs.   

Not necessarily true. Cuts are being made in part to set UND up for a future in which it will eventually be able to fully fund priorities, rather than half-a$$ing everything outside of hockey. For some areas, the budget is simply a convenient excuse.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Not necessarily true. Cuts are being made in part to set UND up for a future in which it will eventually be able to fully fund priorities, rather than half-a$$ing everything outside of hockey. For some areas, the budget is simply a convenient excuse.

Wouldn't UND have enough money in the budget if we had the DI minimum number of sports? Lacrosse is a better choice with our spring weather than baseball. But too bad conference affiliation sucks.

16 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Wouldn't UND have enough money in the budget if we had the DI minimum number of sports? Lacrosse is a better choice with our spring weather than baseball. But too bad conference affiliation sucks.

Tough to say as it depends on which sports are cut and how UND chooses to fund all its programs. Adding lacrosse, a sport not even sponsored by any high schools in the state, certainly wouldn't save the school any money. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

Forget about adding sports.  There are several others that should be cut.  Baseball and golf are a good start.

• Upvote 2

if and when the big sky/wac split happens i would hope the new big sky is more "like minded" and tries to shed some of the excessive extra non-core sports that each schools would have...each school plays a core 15 sports and each school gets two mens/womens free bees or add on...obviously at und it would be mens/womens hockey and msu would mens/womens skiing and so forth...it would strengthen the new conference and like sica said above do them exceptionally well at the highest level.

sac state does 21 sports...you would think if they move up with und, um, msu, idaho and so forth you would think they could drop rowing, baseball, and or soccer

45 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

if and when the big sky/wac split happens i would hope the new big sky is more "like minded" and tries to shed some of the excessive extra non-core sports that each schools would have...each school plays a core 15 sports and each school gets two mens/womens free bees or add on...obviously at und it would be mens/womens hockey and msu would mens/womens skiing and so forth...it would strengthen the new conference and like sica said above do them exceptionally well at the highest level.

sac state does 21 sports...you would think if they move up with und, um, msu, idaho and so forth you would think they could drop rowing, baseball, and or soccer

Sac St should be good at baseball, so they won't drop it or men's soccer.  Rowing is needed to counteract those for Title IX.  Just like MSU won't drop skiing.  Idaho had to add sports to make 200 scholarships, like womens swimming, especially on the Title IX side.  NDSU would have to add two to three women's sports if they ever moved up.  Women's hockey makes the 200 slots easier to attain and helps Title IX.

Many schools are nearly 60% women / 40 % men, so Title IX is really hard for those schools like South Dakota, Sac St etc.  Others are majority male, like UND, MSU, and NDSU, which all have engineering programs and in UND's case aerospace.