SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA & Denver - Friday

AZSIOUX

One thing I did notice with Loney is that when he went down one of his skates got caught on top of ones of Ausmus' skates and he wasn't able to get control of himself before he went into the boards. He obviously then proceeded to act like he broke every bone in his body.

I noticed the same thing....either way at first glance it was 2....that's the first thing I said when it happened live. My buddy the. Proceeded to say watch this guy he's gonna lay there for a few minutes and draw a five. Just because there's a loud boom doesn't mean you automatically call five. Sorry I watch a ton of nhl hockey so watching college officiating is almost mind boggling. Worst part about college officiating is the lack of officiating talent.

If this team continues to play a full sixty minutes of in-your-face hockey with speed like they did last night, they could go far. Then the outcome could come down to a lucky bounce or two. The goaltending will need to remain solid and they need to avoid the injury bug. Guys are stepping up and doing the job. Rodwell is becoming a beast. His combination of size, toughness, tenacity, and high end speed have become a real asset and helped to make the Pattyn line something special.

I thought that this was addressed in the off season by the NCAA. Obviously, there is a need to look at this play. NBA gave the refs and the league the ability to call fouls and give fines for diving. It's time NCAA looks at penalties for embellishment up to 1 game suspensions. Yes, there are serious injuries but this is ridiculous, UND has been affected 2 times because of embellishment now and it will continue if the NCAA does not look at this seriously.

Rodwell is becoming a beast. His combination of size, toughness, tenacity, and high end speed have become a real asset and helped to make the Pattyn line something special.

I noticed Rodwell a ton last night. Every shift he was out there causing some sort of pressure with his relentless speed.

Certainly is good to see after he wasn't even in the lineup during the start of the year.

I hope we're not being unfair to Loney and he just got checked out and ok'd, but I agree with everyone else that the way he flopped around on the ice and appeared to be seriously injured was concerning at the time. To find out that apparently didn't have a concussion, didn't hurt his neck, and didn't apparently do any significant damage to his shoulder and could come back within a few minutes and continue to play without any apparent limitations leads one to question his "act". Generally guys who have head injuries don't go flopping around on the ice, nor do those with back injuries. If he was in SO much pain that it looked like something was broken, and then could function normally shortly thereafter is a bit hard to swallow.

I noticed the same thing....either way at first glance it was 2....that's the first thing I said when it happened live. My buddy the. Proceeded to say watch this guy he's gonna lay there for a few minutes and draw a five. Just because there's a loud boom doesn't mean you automatically call five. Sorry I watch a ton of nhl hockey so watching college officiating is almost mind boggling. Worst part about college officiating is the lack of officiating talent.

Right or wrong, this type of hit is going to draw a 5 every time, and it wasn't even a hit. Loney was falling and Ausmus just pushed him, but since it was into the boards it got called a 5. Of course the near-death experience helped the ref make the call.

I hope we're not being unfair to Loney and he just got checked out and ok'd, but I agree with everyone else that the way he flopped around on the ice and appeared to be seriously injured was concerning at the time. To find out that apparently didn't have a concussion, didn't hurt his neck, and didn't apparently do any significant damage to his shoulder and could come back within a few minutes and continue to play without any apparent limitations leads one to question his "act". Generally guys who have head injuries don't go flopping around on the ice, nor do those with back injuries. If he was in SO much pain that it looked like something was broken, and then could function normally shortly thereafter is a bit hard to swallow.

Evidently the horrific injury didn't affect his eyesight as he was the only one to see the puck come off the boards at that strange angle.

If this team continues to play a full sixty minutes of in-your-face hockey with speed like they did last night, they could go far. Then the outcome could come down to a lucky bounce or two. The goaltending will need to remain solid and they need to avoid the injury bug. Guys are stepping up and doing the job. Rodwell is becoming a beast. His combination of size, toughness, tenacity, and high end speed have become a real asset and helped to make the Pattyn line something special.

I thought that was the best game so far this season for the boys and Rodwell has been awesome sicne being back in the line up. This is the Fghting Sioux hockey we all know and love! Go Fighting Sioux!!!

The Sioux may not have the bruising defensemen of the past, but the mobility of the defensive corps seemed to make it easy to break out of the zone last night. While they have had some mobile defensemen in the past, the mobility of this entire group could bring an asset the Sioux have not had in the past.

The thing I don't understand in regards to the Loney hit is why injury or time spent on the ice is a factor in determining the severity of the penalty. Just because someone is able to pop back up after a check from behind doesn't mean it isn't worthy of a major and game misconduct. Likewise, just because someone is in (apparent) extreme agony doesn't make a little shove a major.

If there's debate on the severity, it should be discussed/reviewed right away with no weight given to the extent of injury.

• Upvote 2

The thing I don't understand in regards to the Loney hit is why injury or time spent on the ice is a factor in determining the severity of the penalty. Just because someone is able to pop back up after a check from behind doesn't mean it isn't worthy of a major and game misconduct. Likewise, just because someone is in (apparent) extreme agony doesn't make a little shove a major.

Funny that you mention this...Don Lucia went on record yesterday saying he would like to see instant replay used in reviewing penalties. I can't recall which Gopher player got a game DQ last Saturday night for "contact to the head" but the center-ice hit was shoulder-to-shoulder but the Bulldog player went down like a tons of bricks afterward and immediately grabbed his head. I happen to agree with Don on this one...but how do you implement something like this without slowing down the pace of the game? Goal reviews are bad enough the way it is...

Funny that you mention this...Don Lucia went on record yesterday saying he would like to see instant replay used in reviewing penalties. I can't recall which Gopher player got a game DQ last Saturday night for "contact to the head" but the center-ice hit was shoulder-to-shoulder but the Bulldog player went down like a tons of bricks afterward and immediately grabbed his head. I happen to agree with Don on this one...but how do you implement something like this without slowing down the pace of the game? Goal reviews are bad enough the way it is...

Just what hockey needs...more stoppages in play...cripes...

Just what hockey needs...more stoppages in play...cripes...

Like I said, I agree with Don. However, should this be implemented and we see Kyle Rau giggling on the bench like a giddy schoolgirl after drawing a 5:00 major penalty on an opponent, I think that video review should also be allowed to take a look at that and toss him in the bin for acting. :lol:

I definitely agree that it would slow the game down, which is not ideal. But I still think it's necessary as having to kill a 5min major (and losing the player if it's CFB) can be just as or more significant than a goal in terms of changing the course of a game. That being said, if a player is going to writhe around on the ice for 20 minutes, you could easily do the review simulataneously.*

Take Andrew MacWilliam, for example. If I recall correctly, during his senior year, he got ejected for 2 CFB. Had he gotten a 3rd CFB penatly, it would have resulted in a greater DQ than just the rest of that game (I think it's one extra game). But upon replay, all but the most biased of reviewers would have admitted that neither penalty actually warranted the CFB penalty. That's a pretty big deal, because it's not like those penalties can be scourged from his record after the game.

*I mean this in absolutely no disrespect to players who are legitimately hurt and struggling to get off the ice. I remember snapping at a CC fan for yelling at Genoway to 'get his pathetic ass off the ice' after getting injured. Considering Genoway didn't play the next night (and certainly didn't score on the ensuing power play), he wasn't faking it.

I definitely agree that it would slow the game down, which is not ideal. But I still think it's necessary as having to kill a 5min major (and losing the player if it's CFB) can be just as or more significant than a goal in terms of changing the course of a game. That being said, if a player is going to writhe around on the ice for 20 minutes, you could easily do the review simulataneously.*

Take Andrew MacWilliam, for example. If I recall correctly, during his senior year, he got ejected for 2 CFB. Had he gotten a 3rd CFB penatly, it would have resulted in a greater DQ than just the rest of that game (I think it's one extra game). But upon replay, all but the most biased of reviewers would have admitted that neither penalty actually warranted the CFB penalty. That's a pretty big deal, because it's not like those penalties can be scourged from his record after the game.

*I mean this in absolutely no disrespect to players who are legitimately hurt and struggling to get off the ice. I remember snapping at a CC fan for yelling at Genoway to 'get his pathetic ass off the ice' after getting injured. Considering Genoway didn't play the next night (and certainly didn't score on the ensuing power play), he wasn't faking it.

in fact genoway didn't play for the next month I believe.

I've brought it up before.... players who writhe around on the ice after getting hit to draw a 5 min major should have to sit out for a minimum of 10 minutes game time to undergo a concussion evaluation.

What if the injury is to their leg or shoulder? :p

I agree with the concept of the rule and have previously suggested if you need help to get off the ice, you shouldn't be promptly be allowed back out there on the ensuing PP. Cough, cough, Kyle, cough, Rau, cough cough.