SiouxSports.com Forum

Preference for new coach

SiouxVolley

Within reason, who do you choose?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Choice for new coach (monetary restraints - no Saban)

• Lennon - bring him back
    • Schweighert - DC SIU
    • DeBoer - OC SIU
    • Hazelton - DC Nevada
    • Leipod - HC Wisconsin-Whitewater
    • Tibesar - LB coach, Chicago Bears
    • Bollinger - QB coach, Pitt
    • Caruso - HC, St Thomas
    • Nielson - HC, WIU
    • Other

http://siouxfb.areavoices.com/2013/11/21/profiling-potential-candidates/

I like the names on this list. And I am not married to the idea of having to have FCS or FBS experience. Every coach (head or assistant) started somewhere, often times in lower division programs. If somebody can turn around a D-II or III program with limited resources and, on top of that, win championships, it is an indication that they are good at being the CEO of a football team (which is what the head coach essentially is). Being a coordinator or position coach is a totally different job and those skills don't always translate to head coaching (we just got a crash course in that with Mussman).

Whatever Faison decides, I have confidence that he will do what is right for our FB program and the institution as a whole.

• Upvote 2

Haven't stepped out of the valley much, eh?

I think you appreciate the mountains more when you live in a contrasting environment. Bet you people in Colorado and Montana can sometimes take the beauty for granted. Look forward to the trips to the mountains all the time. Where do people that live in the mountains look forward to going? Sioux hockey games?

http://siouxfb.areav...ial-candidates/

I like the names on this list. And I am not married to the idea of having to have FCS or FBS experience. Every coach (head or assistant) started somewhere, often times in lower division programs. If somebody can turn around a D-II or III program with limited resources and, on top of that, win championships, it is an indication that they are good at being the CEO of a football team (which is what the head coach essentially is). Being a coordinator or position coach is a totally different job and those skills don't always translate to head coaching (we just got a crash course in that with Mussman).

Whatever Faison decides, I have confidence that he will do what is right for our FB program and the institution as a whole.

Throwing realism out the window, I rank them as follows:

1. Tibesar

2. Hazelton

3. Klieman

4. Caruso

5. DeBoer

6. Bollinger

7. Pflugrad

8. Wristen

9. Liepold

10. Schweigert

11. Van Diest

• Upvote 1

I think you appreciate the mountains more when you live in a contrasting environment. Bet you people in Colorado and Montana can sometimes take the beauty for granted. Look forward to the trips to the mountains all the time. Where do people that live in the mountains look forward to going? Sioux hockey games?

It certainly isn't Greeley!

Sounds like the Harvey Hick's family prefers it out east now, not that he'd be a serious candidate anyway.

Don't dis Harvey. Nice little town that loves football.

Haven't stepped out of the valley much, eh?

Born in the valley.... Spent most of my short life outside of the valley, including in GASP! Colorado Springs... Hills and mountains and trees suck.

You know, the mountains are beautiful.

But, when I visit North Dakota, I always try to come in mid-August...closer to harvest time. Beautiful time of year. TR National Park...very nice. The bluffs along the Missouri.. Hey, my favorite place to go is the Turtle Mountains and the International Peace Garden. Drive a bit east of GF and you have some beautiful lake country in Minnesota. Nice places all over the country.

But, still, Greeley is a s#%$hole.

Don't dis Harvey. Nice little town that loves football.

Born in the valley.... Spent most of my short life outside of the valley, including in GASP! Colorado Springs... Hills and mountains and trees suck.

I love the mountains...but like I said just before...lots of beauty in our country. Not just hills and mountains.

Hey, I'm your quote!

I am honored...somewhat! ;o)

I look at guys like Brian Kelly and Jerry Kill and want to get a guy who's on a track like that. Keep winning and keep moving up a level. If Caruso or Wristen are on a similar career path I'd be completely ok with UND being one of their stops along the way.

Speaking of Kill, it's actually kind of surprising he ever got the SIU job in the first place, given his 49-25 record at Saginaw Valley St. and Emporia St. By comparison, Lennon was 90-24 as a dII coach. Now Kill is making seven figures, and Lennon is fighting just to keep his job. It's hard to explain.

Throwing realism out the window, I rank them as follows:

1. Tibesar

2. Hazelton

3. Klieman

4. Caruso

5. DeBoer

6. Bollinger

7. Pflugrad

8. Wristen

9. Liepold

10. Schweigert

11. Van Diest

Outside of Tibesar, I don't think your list is all that unrealistic, and I basically agree. Personally, for my wish list, I'd put Pflugard ahead of Bollinger, and swap DeBoer and Schweigert on your list.

....................... and Lennon is fighting just to keep his job. It's hard to explain.

I'm really surprised with how Lennon has struggled at SIU. When he left here, I always felt he was going to be on a similar path as Brian Kelly. Maybe not ending up at a place like Notre Dame, but I really felt strongly that Dale would wind up with the head job at a FBS, possibly a BCS program by now.

I want a head coach that recruits a senior class like the Bizen have this year....Just watched their little pregame senior introduction thing, and I couldn't believe the amount of seniors they have.....wow.

That class had a ton of success for them. Guess the point is getting the right guys into your program. Minus the legal stuff.

Ashlee Hardee just finished another 20 win season his 4th in 5 years at UND, and he has no ties to UND, so I think needing a guy from UND is not necessary. He came from New Mexico St, so I wonder if Faison will look to his old school for possible candidates.