SiouxSports.com Forum

Preference for new coach

SiouxVolley

Within reason, who do you choose?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Choice for new coach (monetary restraints - no Saban)

• Lennon - bring him back
    • Schweighert - DC SIU
    • DeBoer - OC SIU
    • Hazelton - DC Nevada
    • Leipod - HC Wisconsin-Whitewater
    • Tibesar - LB coach, Chicago Bears
    • Bollinger - QB coach, Pitt
    • Caruso - HC, St Thomas
    • Nielson - HC, WIU
    • Other

Haven't spent many fall Saturdays in Fargo the past few years have you? ;):p

It is a well known fact that those that earn a lower wage tend to engage in criminal activities.

I would suspect that those "scholar-athletes" are just preparing for life after they earn their needlepoint certificates from the college of home economics at the University of Agriculture and Applied Science.

I think the whole "Big Sky recruiting area connections" thing is overrated. If there is one thing we have found its that the majority of the California kids that UND has gotten did not pan out, due to attitude, lifestyle difference, etc. They really don't recruit anywhere else in "Big Sky" country. They dabbled in Washington, Nevada, and Oregon but nothing big.

Get a guy who can win battles in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, and Nebraska. Then reach out further for skill positions.

I think the whole "Big Sky recruiting area connections" thing is overrated. If there is one thing we have found its that the majority of the California kids that UND has gotten did not pan out, due to attitude, lifestyle difference, etc. They really don't recruit anywhere else in "Big Sky" country. They dabbled in Washington, Nevada, and Oregon but nothing big.

Get a guy who can win battles in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, and Nebraska. Then reach out further for skill positions.

Good point. That's kind of a Cornhusker tradition. Get the big guys and linebackers from Nebraska...skill players wherever you can find them.

Good point. That's kind of a Cornhusker tradition. Get the big guys and linebackers from Nebraska...skill players wherever you can find them.

Same as Barry Alvarez at Wisconsin. Linemen and linebackers from Wisconsin and skill positions from Florida. Oh, and quarterbacks from North Dakota...

• Upvote 2

Very interesting. Minimum salary will be $150,000, which is already more than Mussman made. Plus it emphasizes NFL experience. Really looks like Tibesar and/or Bollinger are in play here.

When they posted the assistant hockey coach position, it really seemed to tailor Brad Berry, suggesting it was a forgone conclusion. Maybe they are hinting here too.

Hinting may be the wrong term, but putting the fix in for their guy.

Then how about this guy:

http://www.iupathlet...7&path=football

-Over 25 years as a D-I assistant and was the recruiting coordinator at NC State when they had two top 10 recruiting classes in the early 00's.

-WR coach and recruiting coordinator at Alabama for four years under Nick Saban.

-Currently head coach at D2 IUP (28-7 record over three seasons)

-Father was one of the most successful coaches in D2 history at IUP, brother has also been very successful and is a position coach for the STL Rams (reminds me of the Harbaugh family)

-Mirrors his program after Saban (build from lines out, I believe he has certain minimum "measurables" for every position on the field)

-Named one of the top 25 recruiters in the country by Rivals.com

-Has recruiting contacts all over the country/ would have the ability to bring in FBS transfers

The only negative is that he doesn't have any experience in this area of the country, but I bet he'd be smart enough to hire some assistants that do.

What's not to like?

I'd take anyone whose worked with Saban. I'd consider his shoe shiner.

If we get a Saban protege, you can say goodbye to opening drive*. It'll be business and a tight ship, no feel good stuff.

Same as Barry Alvarez at Wisconsin. Linemen and linebackers from Wisconsin and skill positions from Florida. Oh, and quarterbacks from North Dakota...

Agreed about Alvarez, with the exception of the skill players from Florida. Speed guys like Lee Evans and Chris Chambers were found in Ohio, Michael Bennett from Milwaukee and Jamar Fletcher was a Missouri kid. Their best WR right now (Abbrederis) is a former walk-on I believe from in-state. In my opinion, you can find the requisite skill guys in the upper midwest (ND, MN, WI, IA, NE, etc....even IL) They're there to be had, we just havent been getting them (in MN and WI). We need the new guy, whomever it may be, to get them. I realize the skill guys in a state like ND are few and far between, but when they are there, you have to have a chance at getting them.

Generally speaking, coastal kids and North Dakota are not and have not been a good match.

FWIW Barry Alvarez would "stand on the table" for a certain someone. 100% guarantee. Sorry, not trying to start another disagreement on that.

When they posted the assistant hockey coach position, it really seemed to tailor Brad Berry, suggesting it was a forgone conclusion. Maybe they are hinting here too.

Hinting may be the wrong term, but putting the fix in for their guy.

Could be but BB doesn't (quite) meet the first bullet of preferred qualifications as I believe he only has 1 year as a position coach. I don't think there are any qualifications that wouldn't be pretty standard on almost any FCS job opening.

1 season DI experience as head coach or offensive/defensive coordinator; or 2 seasons DI FBS/BCS experience as position coach; or 2 seasons experience as DII or DIII head coach or offensive/defensive coordinator is highly preferred.

We need to have someone on staff who can expand upon one of the successes of Mussman et al which is recruiting Illinois. We have a proximity advantage over all our Big Sky rivals to miwestern population centers like the Chicago metro area and can offer recruits routine trips to exotic destinations like Cal. and the Montana Rockies, something our midwestern (Summitt) competition cannot match.

• Upvote 1

Could be but BB doesn't (quite) meet the first bullet of preferred qualifications as I believe he only has 1 year as a position coach. I don't think there are any qualifications that wouldn't be pretty standard on almost any FCS job opening.

I believe 2013 is his second year as QB coach.

Then how about this guy:

http://www.iupathlet...7&path=football

-Over 25 years as a D-I assistant and was the recruiting coordinator at NC State when they had two top 10 recruiting classes in the early 00's.

-WR coach and recruiting coordinator at Alabama for four years under Nick Saban.

-Currently head coach at D2 IUP (28-7 record over three seasons)

-Father was one of the most successful coaches in D2 history at IUP, brother has also been very successful and is a position coach for the STL Rams (reminds me of the Harbaugh family)

-Mirrors his program after Saban (build from lines out, I believe he has certain minimum "measurables" for every position on the field)

-Named one of the top 25 recruiters in the country by Rivals.com

-Has recruiting contacts all over the country/ would have the ability to bring in FBS transfers

The only negative is that he doesn't have any experience in this area of the country, but I bet he'd be smart enough to hire some assistants that do.

What's not to like?

I could not disagree with this thought process more. Recruiting coordinator for Alabama? I am pretty sure a trained monkey could recruit for a program that has the tradition and championship rings that Alabama has. He family doesn't coach for him, so it doesn't matter what his dad and brother have done. He has zero connection in the midwest with HS coaches. Anyone can "mirror" there program after Nick Saben, but we aren't sitting in the middle of the SEC with tons of D-I players within shouting distance.

Remember this, Tim Brewster was a "recruiting genius" for Texas and had ties to the NFL, and look how that panned out for Minnesota.

I could not disagree with this thought process more. Recruiting coordinator for Alabama? I am pretty sure a trained monkey could recruit for a program that has the tradition and championship rings that Alabama has. He family doesn't coach for him, so it doesn't matter what his dad and brother have done. He has zero connection in the midwest with HS coaches. Anyone can "mirror" there program after Nick Saben, but we aren't sitting in the middle of the SEC with tons of D-I players within shouting distance.

Remember this, Tim Brewster was a "recruiting genius" for Texas and had ties to the NFL, and look how that panned out for Minnesota.

the other question about this guy... the same thing everyone is saying about how Bollinger is a UND guy - his dad was the IUP head coach for many years.

No NFL experience or DI experience. So, no.

Not advocating for Berg of course, but the NFL and DI experience criteria are "Preferred Qualifications".

The minimum requirement is Head Coaching or Coordinator experience at a DII or DIII school.

That makes the potential pool of candidates much broader than what we are all focusing in on....................