SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. Wisconsin

UND-FB-FAN

Today's game day and the first test for our senior laden team. I know the Mussman firing is getting a lot of the attention right now, but hopefully people don't forget about this game. So what do posters think? Does UND have a legit shot at an upset? The Badgers are always tough at home. I would like to think we can keep it close with a chance to win at the end but since moving to DI, we haven't ever been close to an upset/signature win...at least that I can recall.

Almost nobody goes in to Madison and comes away with a win so if we somehow pull this one out it would put us on the map. I think this game will be a good barometer for how the non-conference portion of the season is going to go. If Wisconsin runs us out of the gym we may be looking at a 2 or 3 win non-conference. If we stay competitive then I'd be more comfortable betting on us to pull of a few road wins before we get into Big Sky play. If we beat them on their floor then it may be the beginning of a truly special run for this team. I'm excited for this game tonight and hope it gives us some confidence and momentum coming back for the game against NDSU.

Today's game day and the first test for our senior laden team. I know the Mussman firing is getting a lot of the attention right now, but hopefully people don't forget about this game. So what do posters think? Does UND have a legit shot at an upset? The Badgers are always tough at home. I would like to think we can keep it close with a chance to win at the end but since moving to DI, we haven't ever been close to an upset/signature win...at least that I can recall.

Realistically with Brekke I would say we could keep this game close. However, we don't have Brekke and with what we saw from our posts and barely out rebounding a D3 school we have a major issue on the inside. Teams like Wisconsin, Oregon, NDSU and Butler will dominate us on the inside and make it very difficult for our guards to make up the difference. Jones and company will have to figure things out in a hurry who to play and how to handle the post positions. By the time we get to the Big Sky hopefully things will be figured out but until then it may be a bumpy road. I can see us going with a 4 guard offense rarely quickly and this may be our best way to go. We played our best last year with this same type of offense. Beating Wisconsin at home will be a huge task for this team but there is a reason you play the game out, anything can happen. Go Sioux

I know nothing about basketball, but seeing that Montana got blown out by Minnesota does not make me optimistic that UND has a chance against Wisconsin.

If UND can defend the post efficiently without Brekke, I think that the OOC schedule will be entertaining. If they struggle to keep teams from pounding it down low and dominating the boards, conference play won't come soon enough. Tough to get a read on the team from only one game so far against a team from a lower level.

Also, I expect big things from Huff tonight playing in his home state and a little over an hour from home.

Our best bet is for Nash to be effective guarding Dekker. Dekker has some weight on Nash but hopefully Jaron's athleticism allows him to make some plays. We also need our rotation of big guys to work their asses off boxing out their 7 footer. Huff is going to be the X-factor as Wisco goes primarily with 3 guards and if Dekker is matched up on Nash Troy should be able to make some things happen offensively against a smaller defender.

• Upvote 1

UND needs to play an efficient game tonight to have a good chance. Which means: they play within their offense, little to any forcing of shots. 2nd chance opportunities are going to be key, we need to win that stat tonight. We also need to keep turnovers low, so our guard need to take care of the ball. Huff and Anderson need to be big and hit the big shots when we need them. If they go on a run, do not get discouraged and fight back. You have nothing to lose so play loose and put all the pressure on them. Defensively... ONE AND DONE possessions

I think our athleticism defensively might surprise them a little, but if we can't get the rebound it won't matter. Hopefully we can push the pace a little with this smaller lineup. Ill take Wisconsin by 13, but we play with them most of the game. Another thing that might work to our advantage is the hand checking rule change..

Having Wisconsin and FU back to back games will be nice for UND. Both teams play the same type of slower pace offense and will play very good defense.

If UND can be efficient on the offensive end and not commit a bunch of turnovers, we will be in the game at the end. Last year we were not 100% healthy in our early non conference schedule so I am looking forward to what a fully healthy bunch (minus Brekke) can do in this early season stretch. I'm excited for the game tonight and wish I had the Big10 network to watch the game.