SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ Miami - FRIDAY GAMEDAY

AZSIOUX

If Mattson OD and Parks continue to play at a consistent level like they did last night this team will be tough to beat night in and out. The Fr. have all looked good and will continue to get better but the Jr class is the key to the season IMO.

Agreed. Most of us saw a very bright upside with that class early their freshman year. Now we will see if they have leadership qualities.

We have a nice 1/2 line combo. I expect both to get better as the year progresses.

I then love the idea of 3/4 where we alternate scoring with some youngsters or grit with the General.

We did stand around a few times- resulted in a goal for Miami too- that will improve.

Very nice win

We have a nice 1/2 line combo. I expect both to get better as the year progresses.

I then love the idea of 3/4 where we alternate scoring with some youngsters or grit with the General.

You seem to know hockey better than most including me but that 4th line is not your normal college 4th line and IMO the addition of Chyzyk with his speed and skill set to Johnson and Murphy really has potential moving forward. Your thoughts?

You seem to know hockey better than most including me but that 4th line is not your normal college 4th line and IMO the addition of Chyzyk with his speed and skill set to Johnson and Murphy really has potential moving forward. Your thoughts?

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night :). Hockey is really a simple, kids' game. Adults over complicate it and kinda wreck it every chance they get.

I liked that third line- Johnson and Murphy (aren't those shoes?) are really smart hockey players for their "green-ness". Chyzyk for all intents and purposes is also a rookie- limited game experience last year. Freshmen usually get in trouble for two things-

1. Thinking too much. They are concerned about playing Hak's system and not screwing up- you play your best hockey when your mind is clear (think no helmet, favorite music pumping through the PA) and you just react. Take your guy, keep your feet moving, good passes, get space, give and go, finish your check.

2. Being physically outmatched- a 23 year old man is stronger than an 18 year old boy. Just gotta stay with it and remember the basics of puck protection and leverage.

I do like that line. I usually try and balance the risks of rookies together with the long term benefits of helping them build chemistry. The adjustment is hardest for centers and dmen. So, usually, I'd play freshmen centers at wing for awhile and keep upper classmen in the middle. Johnson appears to be comfortable though, so let him go.

I think some of the pp issues have to do with personnel...we have grinders on the pp unit...makes ZERO sense.

For the record, you don't cycle on a pp- the cycle is a five on five offensive zone approach for wearing down dmen over the course of a game, and generating pressure by keeping the puck 200 feet from your goalie.

On the powerplay you generally are trying to use your points to rotate the puck hopefully until your number advantage creates a good look. Often times that is on the weakside.

My issue with the powerplay is that they always dump the puck on zone entry. And they dump it hard. You see teams like Minnesota carry the zone with numbers, gain the line and then boom....its set up and they're moving it around the perimeter looking for a shot. Dumping a puck isn't the worst thing, but we see the same hard ring every single time to the weak side, then its a 50/50 puck.

I guess if they are going to dump the puck I'd like to see a soft cross ice play (like a lob shot in golf) into the weakside corner where you have the weakside wing going with speed to get to it first.

Seems like every team runs an umbrella now. UND is no different. They try to get a body in front and get a one timer from somebody to make the goaltender move which creates a better chance for a rebound. Last nights powerplay goal was pretty lucky. But then again you can't ever be mad at a guy for getting the puck to the net.

Freshmen usually get in trouble for two things-

1. Thinking too much. They are concerned about playing Hak's system and not screwing up- you play your best hockey when your mind is clear (think no helmet, favorite music pumping through the PA) and you just react. Take your guy, keep your feet moving, good passes, get space, give and go, finish your check.

I thought Miami really pushed the pace early, and I was worried if UND would be able to match it. After that early PK they stepped it up and played to Miami's pace. I think this really helped our guys do what you described above - play without over-thinking things. I noticed a lot of good, instinctive play out there last night.

My issue with the powerplay is that they always dump the puck on zone entry. And they dump it hard. You see teams like Minnesota carry the zone with numbers, gain the line and then boom....its set up and they're moving it around the perimeter looking for a shot. Dumping a puck isn't the worst thing, but we see the same hard ring every single time to the weak side, then its a 50/50 puck.

I guess if they are going to dump the puck I'd like to see a soft cross ice play (like a lob shot in golf) into the weakside corner where you have the weakside wing going with speed to get to it first.

Seems like every team runs an umbrella now. UND is no different. They try to get a body in front and get a one timer from somebody to make the goaltender move which creates a better chance for a rebound. Last nights powerplay goal was pretty lucky. But then again you can't ever be mad at a guy for getting the puck to the net.

No entry, no powerplay...agree.

I think Rocco's line will be a bit trumped tonight, but I'd love to be surprised. So I'll go with the "depth" guys ;)

Mark Mac, Parks, OD

And with the homer score pick... 3-2 good guys

Those are some pretty stellar prediction skills you have there, Tupa.

They ring it around the boards hoping to hit the far man.....that is how almost all nhl teams run the pp. The thinking is that two men will be there. Didn't look overly pretty last night...they'll figure it out.

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night :). Hockey is really a simple, kids' game. Adults over complicate it and kinda wreck it every chance they get.

I liked that third line- Johnson and Murphy (aren't those shoes?) are really smart hockey players for their "green-ness". Chyzyk for all intents and purposes is also a rookie- limited game experience last year. Freshmen usually get in trouble for two things-

2. Being physically outmatched- a 23 year old man is stronger than an 18 year old boy. Just gotta stay with it and remember the basics of puck protection and leverage.

I do like that line. I usually try and balance the risks of rookies together with the long term benefits of helping them build chemistry. The adjustment is hardest for centers and dmen. So, usually, I'd play freshmen centers at wing for awhile and keep upper classmen in the middle. Johnson appears to be comfortable though, so let him go.

Being a coach of the game for nearly 30 years you hit the nail on the head. Hockey is not a complicated game. Hard work will beat talent if talent doesn't work hard.