SiouxSports.com Forum

Viewing options for Sioux hockey games this season

fightingsiouxfan86

So I was saw that Midco is picking p the feed for Saturdays game at UNO on Saturday. Which got me thinking. Why can't they pick up every away feed if that is possible? And then it aslo got me thinking why Dan and Kobber can't haul the Midco truck to all UND hockey away games? Mazako and Woog did it all the time for Gopher games back in the day. I hope Midco can sign up a bunch of subscribers in Fargo and grow their revenue stream so they can make this happen. Just a pipe dream I guess, but hey, snythings possible!

FSN had a significantly larger viewership than Midco, which means more money from advertisers. It costs a lot of money to rent a legit full-HD truck.  It costs a lot of money to hire a freelance crew.  Most national networks just rent trucks around the country and also rent a Sat uplink truck to send their feed to the heavens and back to earth.  If the money was there, they would do it.  Unfortunately, PS Doors and American Tire don't pay enough of the bills.

Well for starters midco isn't using satellite trucks for uplinks at the ralph....they are now using fiber. I don't know if they have the capability to send their feed from anywhere outside of town via fiber. To downlink away games they've simply been using a dish for downlink and sharing the away team's feed. This method is much less expensive than sending a crew and a truck and possibly renting a satellite truck.

Midco growing into anything other than a small regional is a pipe dream

Every arena that is built now has the fiber available.  Southpaw hit it on the head.  Until midco starts to pick up the major advertisers, there will not be the money available for the road games.  I would love to see Hammer and Kober going to every game too.  Then we hit on another note, would Kober go out of town?  Be happy with what we are getting for out of town coverage and hopefully we can sync Hennesey with the tv.

So I live in Minneapolis and I've got directv so I'll be able to get the handful of games that'll be broadcast this season but I'm a diehard fan so that's not enough. Previously I've subscribed to Fox college sports but that's obviously not an option anymore. I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on the UND Insider webcasts for this season? I've bought the webcasts for home games in the past and they were not great quality; really grainy and in my opinion not worth the money. I see they're offering UND insider for $63 which gives you access to all 17 home games in HD. What I want to know is what all did they upgrade? If it's in HD I'm assuming that means the cameras at the Ralph have been upgraded? For me it's totally worth the money if the webcasts have been improved but I haven't really heard anything on that so I'm curious if anyone else has?? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

I'm the same way, and try to watch as much as I can. As long as the computer you run the webcast through works well, the game comes through pretty well. I have had hiccups in the games where I've watched it at a delay to avoid buffering, or glitches, and there have been times where my image has appeared to change from HD to Standard. Though it is definitely better that it has been in the past, and some of the issue I have had may be attributed to my internet connection having some issues.

I think the package was well worth the purchase this year, though I believe there are 10 games left in the regular season 8 of which will be on CBS Sports, NBC Sports, of Fox College Sports.

Any chance I don't have to listen to Hammer and & Koberinski, I'm pretty pumped. Hammer's gotten better (he started at a 0 on a 1-10 and is now a 3) but Koberinski is brutal. The CBS team blew their doors off. I usually DVR and start a little late when they're on CBS or FCS, otherwise the Hennessey sync would be money. 

Any chance I don't have to listen to Hammer and & Koberinski, I'm pretty pumped. Hammer's gotten better (he started at a 0 on a 1-10 and is now a 3) but Koberinski is brutal. The CBS team blew their doors off. I usually DVR and start a little late when they're on CBS or FCS, otherwise the Hennessey sync would be money. 

Agreed, Kober is brutal, but Hammer has improved. We haven't really had a good color commentary recently. Jim Scanlan was terrible too.

Agree the CBS broadcast makes the midco broadcast look very cheap.

When did hammer learn the term "gives chase" I think it started last season and why does he use the term 20 plus times per game ?

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone in the englewood denver area know where to watch the game tonight?

Welcome to Colorado Siouxper187.  You better get that internet up and running and order the sports package on Directv cause that is the only way you are going to get to see any Sioux game in this state unless it is on CBSSN or live in person. 

Cowley is a Ginger!!!!!!

I know....just a jab at cable prices....Midco is much better than any provider I've ever had.....but daaaaaaammmmn those fees!

The combination of midco cable internet and tv, with a dvr, is way cheaper than I currently pay for dishnetwork plus my adsl internet (kind of slow at times). 

The combination of midco cable internet and tv, with a dvr, is way cheaper than I currently pay for dishnetwork plus my adsl internet (kind of slow at times). 

Really?  I have pretty much that exact setup with Midco and its about $140.  One DVR and no other cable boxes with no movie channels or any other add-ons (did just add the Sports/Variety pack a month ago but haven't paid that bill yet).

Really?  I have pretty much that exact setup with Midco and its about $140.  One DVR and no other cable boxes with no movie channels or any other add-ons (did just add the Sports/Variety pack a month ago but haven't paid that bill yet).

Mine's a little over $140 with 2 DVRs, the sports pack, the internet, and a land-line telephone.

I'm literally getting mine setup for the 1st time on Monday.

For a Tivo(better, more intuitive version of DVR) in our living room and 2 "Tivo Minis" in 2 other rooms plus the preferred channel package and sports variety my monthly bill comes to $118. 

I'm literally getting mine setup for the 1st time on Monday.

For a Tivo(better, more intuitive version of DVR) in our living room and 2 "Tivo Minis" in 2 other rooms plus the preferred channel package and sports variety my monthly bill comes to $118. 

I assume that the rate for the first 6 or 12 months?  I had a great rate like originally but once that promotional period runs out and you're a customer, there isn't much they'll do for you on the price.  Have gotten minor discounts occasionally but nothing that was really worth the time.