SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

^^^^ THIS!!!!!!  Here in Fargo they are going to dig up my sidewalk and parts of my street for drainage when it rains because a lot of water collects and problems occur. Am i unhappy, no, and why because I know it is for the greater good of the city. I am getting assessed on my property for it, not thrilled about that, but I know its part of the solution to pay for it. Whatever helps the city is fine by me. Will I get inconvenienced, sure there will be times I can't use my driveway, but I will get over it and have alternate ideas to compensate this. Traffic sucks, we all don't want to be stuck in it, so why not find ways to elevate it....instead of ignoring it. 

I bought my house on a hill to avoid flooding problems.  It slopes a bit to the west...no issues.  In the street or elsewhere.  It just rolls downhill to the local reservoir.  

You should have bought your Fargo house on a hill.  You could have avoided....oh, never mind.  

(As a Colorado resident, I'm allowed one flat lander joke a year...I just used it up...)   ;)

Here's an interesting read from the GF MPO from 2000.

http://www.theforksmpo.org/PDFs/metroforks.pdf

They thought GF would have 60,000 by now.

I think it's more than just oil (Bismarck was already on its way to passing), but unfortunately it looks like GF could go from (formerly) being 2nd largest in ND to possibly 5th.

They thought in 2010 it would be 55,570, they fell about 2700 short (52,838). In 2020 they project 66,458, may not get there.

Oh yeah !?!?!

OH YEAH !?!?!

Well in Fargo they never have to worry about what's sneaking up on them from behind that hill ... except for maybe the city dump ...

:D

Yuck, between that, the sewer plant here in north Fargo, and the NDSU animal research farms near I-29 by the airport. The city of Fargo has some interesting smells!!

I bought my house on a hill to avoid flooding problems.  It slopes a bit to the west...no issues.  In the street or elsewhere.  It just rolls downhill to the local reservoir.  

You should have bought your Fargo house on a hill.  You could have avoided....oh, never mind.  

(As a Colorado resident, I'm allowed one flat lander joke a year...I just used it up...)   ;)

Actually I don't have to worry about flooding where my house is, its 6 blocks from the biggest dike in Fargo (the VA dike).  Nice and dry here, while all the rich homes to the south are the ones with problems.

Yuck, between that, the sewer plant here in north Fargo, and the NDSU animal research farms near I-29 by the airport. The city of Fargo has some interesting smells!!

I  don't know why, but ... that's funny. Cow Pie U?

Edited by Goon

Simplot and Crystal Sugar don't exactly smell like roses....

The animal research farms actually make Simplot and Crystal Sugar smell like roses. It is horrid and I drive by there every night on my way to work cause it's next to the interstate. Pewwww!!!!!

Have a city vote, that way everyone has a voice. Yes people on the northside would vote yes for a bridge, southside would vote no, but it wouldn't be so clearly cut as everyone in the whole city is impacted by traffic. And if you locate it south enough like say the Merrifield Road the southside neighborhoods shouldn't be impacted quite as much as if it was located on 17th Ave or 32nd Ave.

You'd need a vote in both gf county and Polk co since it's crossing the river. Look how long it took to replace the Thompson bridge. Which 2 days before the 35w bridge was structurally sufficient a day after 35w and emergency inspections it was structurally obsolete and in need of immediate replacement.

You'd need a vote in both gf county and Polk co since it's crossing the river. Look how long it took to replace the Thompson bridge. Which 2 days before the 35w bridge was structurally sufficient a day after 35w and emergency inspections it was structurally obsolete and in need of immediate replacement.

I have lived in Grand Forks, ND, since 1993, and I don't really recall a ground swell for a new bridge on the south side of town. 

I have lived in Grand Forks, ND, since 1993, and I don't really recall a ground swell for a new bridge on the south side of town. 

I have not lived in GF for many years.  Enlighten me - what is on the MN side of the river where a southside bridge may be built?l

Trees

The bridge will facilitate a bypass around GF for truck traffic, namely, the endless convoy of trucks that 'beet' a path down Washington and Demers every year during the harvest.

It will also connect the current growth area / retail economic engine of GF (32nd Ave corridor) to residents of EGF and vicinity, possibly even spurring further development to the south on the Minnesota side of the river.  People who wouldn't even think of buying/building in MN now might reconsider if there were better access to the parts of GF where they wanted to go.

Have some vision, and you will see the forest and those trees.

The bridge will facilitate a bypass around GF for truck traffic, namely, the endless convoy of trucks that 'beet' a path down Washington and Demers every year during the harvest.

It will also connect the current growth area / retail economic engine of GF (32nd Ave corridor) to residents of EGF and vicinity, possibly even spurring further development to the south on the Minnesota side of the river.  People who wouldn't even think of buying/building in MN now might reconsider if there were better access to the parts of GF where they wanted to go.

Have some vision, and you will see the forest and those trees.

If we truly want a truck bypass it should be north of town, not south where all the residential and retail construction is happening (or will be soon enough).  I'm not against a south side bridge, but don't block off another direction of growth with a truck bypass.

• Upvote 1

There is a bridge/bypass up north so that doesn't make any sense to build a new one.

And by not having one on the South end you're taking all the trucks from the south and forcing them all the way through town increasing congestion.

Quite the opposite of blocking off growth, a bridge would help growth.

I'd also be willing to bet simonson would love it. Considering hed knock down the house he bought and expand on his 32nd ave store.

Probably, but I think that Archie lives around there too, I see him walking on the Greenway in that area. 

I would be willing to bet, just a hunch, that Rydell and Hanson aren't going to want a influx of traffic past their houses on 32nd street.

I can't see them putting in the bridge/bypass that far north.  That would defeat the purpose.  Safest bet seems to be pulling traffic off of I-29 at Merrifield, running along the elevated dike with interchanges at Columbia and Washington, and then crossing the Red near the Country Club.  There is already at least one 'future bridge' advisory sign out there.