SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 Recruiting

Hambone

Ernst tore ACL in late Feb.  Might have been waiting for high major offer. Has a nice group of Mid Major offers, doubt if UND coming in late could sign him unless other schools back out due to ACL. Tyler leaving would be strange, no shortage of PT for him.

Ernst tore ACL in late Feb.  Might have been waiting for high major offer. Has a nice group of Mid Major offers, doubt if UND coming in late could sign him unless other schools back out due to ACL. Tyler leaving would be strange, no shortage of PT for him.

Kind of killed your credibility on the insider knowledge thing.

Do not expect any players to leave this spring/summer. Do not see Shanks,Shields and Cashman happily sharing the 5 for the next 3 years so if one of those does not get solid  PT. at the 4 the 3rd option at the 5 likely will look elsewhere or take a Redshirt here.

418 straight days of fruitless whining is a pipe dream....With respect to Mens basketball we will look at the body of his Big Sky work at the end of next season. We have pleased with Jones work prior to this season.  We evaluate coaches based on internal not external expectations. For example the Mens Basketball program evaluation his heavily weighted on conference play. Most fans do not understand that... We expected a down year this season and we had zero interest in letting Brian go this year.

• Upvote 3

If this ends up being true, they are going to need to balance out the classes for scholarship purposes. My guess would be Hobaugh gets one next year so they can use it on a HS kid in the 2016 class and then they find a JR College player to bring in to play the next 2 years. That would mean they could sign 3 HS kids next year (Coleman, Benton, Hobaugh) and 2 the year after (Hooker, JC player they bring in).

A few JC names to consider. (I haven't heard any of these kids signing yet, but they may have)

Houston Lavachek from Williston State - 6'8 ND kid that can shoot the 3 really well (35-40%). Could really help UND stretch the floor a little.

http://www.wsctetons.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=475&path=mens_basketball

Diallo Powell - Lake Region (Strong guard built a lot like Hooker. Decent shooter, but more of just a tough hard nose player. Good athlete too)

http://www.lrsc.edu/athletics/mens-basketball/diallo-powell

Johnny Woodard - NDSCS - vey talented and can do it all. I thought I heard there were a lot of big schools after him but I'm not sure where that sits now. 

http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2013-14/div1/players/johnnywoodardtwz2

I think Powell has been on both UNDs and NDSUs campuses so it would no shock me if he ended up at UND. 

If this ends up being true, they are going to need to balance out the classes for scholarship purposes. My guess would be Hobaugh gets one next year so they can use it on a HS kid in the 2016 class and then they find a JR College player to bring in to play the next 2 years. That would mean they could sign 3 HS kids next year (Coleman, Benton, Hobaugh) and 2 the year after (Hooker, JC player they bring in).

A few JC names to consider. (I haven't heard any of these kids signing yet, but they may have)

Houston Lavachek from Williston State - 6'8 ND kid that can shoot the 3 really well (35-40%). Could really help UND stretch the floor a little.

Diallo Powell - Lake Region (Strong guard built a lot like Hooker. Decent shooter, but more of just a tough hard nose player. Good athlete too)

Johnny Woodard - NDSCS - vey talented and can do it all. I thought I heard there were a lot of big schools after him but I'm not sure where that sits now. 

I think Powell has been on both UNDs and NDSUs campuses so it would no shock me if he ended up at UND. 

With Hooker, Seales, and Crandall creating space, it'd be nice to have a 3-point shooter.

Do you know anything about Austin Lee from Berthold? I've never seen him play, and have no idea what level of college basketball he might be able to play, but I've heard he might be one of those under-the-radar types who could potentially end up being pretty good. I believe he shared the region player of the year award with Heidlebaugh, but I'm not certain on that.

Do you know anything about Austin Lee from Berthold? I've never seen him play, and have no idea what level of college basketball he might be able to play, but I've heard he might be one of those under-the-radar types who could potentially end up being pretty good. I believe he shared the region player of the year award with Heidlebaugh, but I'm not certain on that.

Not a Division 1 player.  Fun as hell to watch in high school though.  Hear he might go to BSC and play baseball and basketball.

I'll be honest I have never seen Lee play. Heard good things, but also heard he is very small. Don't know if he would be a D1 player.

Maybe someone like Balla45 can speak to Lee's game. 

Corey Evans

@coreyevans_10

Roundball Rundown Report Director & East Coast Contributing Editor for NY2LA Sports Email: roundballrundown@hotmail.com

Pittsburgh, PA · ny2lasports.com.....Cortez Seales is a HM guy. This kid can ball. 2015 guard has a polished scoring arsenal. Lefty is smooth on breakdown, not afraid of contact....Tweet from recruiting analyst Corey Evans:

"Just can't get over it. Cortez Seales is a top 150 guy. No questions asked. Scoring off the baseline and below the arc is tremendous."

ADAM MCDERMOTT (Cedar Rapids Xavier) — University of North Dakota may have gotten a bargain with the 6-foot-4 shooting guard. Averaged 17.9 points and 6.2 rebounds for a Xavier team that finished fourth in 3A. Also shot 46.3 percent from 3-point range.  Cedar Rapids Gazette all area team.

So with scholarships opening left and right what's the plan? I'm confident we land Wheeler Baker but know nothing.

I'm hopeful in getting Baker and hope niouxsioux knows something we all don't, but I have a feeling USD and SDSU are also courting Baker hard. 

I'm hopeful in getting Baker and hope niouxsioux knows something we all don't, but I have a feeling USD and SDSU are also courting Baker hard. 

The Jacks do have a scholarship available with Anders Broman transferring. Wheeler Baker is a former HS teammate of current SDSU big, Ian Theisen. Another person to look out for is Jake Wright. He is from Hopkins, MN and is transferring from Citadel. I would be surprised if SDSU doesn't land one of these players. 

The Jacks do have a scholarship available with Anders Broman transferring. Wheeler Baker is a former HS teammate of current SDSU big, Ian Theisen. Another person to look out for is Jake Wright. He is from Hopkins, MN and is transferring from Citadel. I would be surprised if SDSU doesn't land one of these players. 

Jake Wright is a great player as well..... Being SDSU recruited Baker out of HS and Ian Theisen was there was the reason I figured they would be going after him hard. It will be interesting to see where he lands. I think he's all conference caliber in either the Big Sky or Summit.

I don't see how Seales would hurt Baker's recruitment? If anything it should help being he'd be playing with high end talent. UND runs an offense where you can easily play 3 guards at once. Crandall is more of a true PG, Baker is kind of a combo PG/SG, Seales can play the 1 2 or 3, and McDemott looks like a 2-3 kind of player from what i have seen. Seems like a good combo. 

• Upvote 1

The Wheeler kid would be all good and all.... but that helps us in 16-17

say we bring him into the fold, and Hobaugh takes the last scholarship since he is a senior and a walkon. 

Depending on what happens with De Rouen and Tyler we have 1 or two left. 

We need to some help at the 4.  We may need help at the 2, maybe the 3.  We need someone that can come in and help out now.

Jake Wright is a great player as well..... Being SDSU recruited Baker out of HS and Ian Theisen was there was the reason I figured they would be going after him hard. It will be interesting to see where he lands. I think he's all conference caliber in either the Big Sky or Summit.

I don't see how Seales would hurt Baker's recruitment? If anything it should help being he'd be playing with high end talent. UND runs an offense where you can easily play 3 guards at once. Crandall is more of a true PG, Baker is kind of a combo PG/SG, Seales can play the 1 2 or 3, and McDemott looks like a 2-3 kind of player from what i have seen. Seems like a good combo.  Both play the 2, Both will be in same class.  Seales would need to play front court/3 spot.   Cortezz may prefer to play the 2 at D1 level  before is career is  done as he has a shot at playing the 2 spot at the pro level... Baker is a straight up  2 guard.

The Wheeler kid would be all good and all.... but that helps us in 16-17

say we bring him into the fold, and Hobaugh takes the last scholarship since he is a senior and a walkon. 

Depending on what happens with De Rouen and Tyler we have 1 or two left. 

We need to some help at the 4.  We may need help at the 2, maybe the 3.  We need someone that can come in and help out now.

I just do not think you pass up Wheeler Baker if the opportunity comes up.