SiouxSports.com Forum

Frozen Four

Sioux-cia

Everyone and I mean everyone knew zpar was going to be a star. I would say he's the most herald recruit in UND history the last ten years and he did not disappoint.

I would say that Toews was even more heralded than Zach. Both were very talented and both have had great careers since leaving UND.

If you want that award, create it yourself. The people that created the Hobey Baker award wanted to honor his memory. They are allowed to create the award that they want to give. Hobey was the best player in the country, and he was more. Character is very important, I don't see any problem with making that a consideration in giving an award.

All of these things are great characteristics in an award winner and should be honored with a prestigious award. I am also saying that the greatest individual honor in NCAA hockey should not be constrained to hockey humanitarians on successful teams. The greatest individual honor should go to the greatest individual hockey player in the NCAA.

During Sports Center yesterday, they made some reference to the fact that this is the first time in X number of years that the Frozen Four hasn't contained at least one of the "big six" schools (not the actual term they used, just can't remember the details). They didn't name the six schools. I assume they include BC, BU, Michigan, North Dakota, & Minnesota. Anybody know the sixth team included in this? I assume it's either Denver or Wisconsin. If it's Denver, you have to go back to 1970. If it's Wisconsin, you have to go to 1969.

Also interesting that there's never been a Frozen Four in history until this year that hasn't included at least one of those 7 teams.

Bob says it best..

Come gather 'round people

Wherever you roam

And admit that the waters

Around you have grown

And accept it that soon

You'll be drenched to the bone

If your time to you

Is worth savin'

Then you better start swimmin'

Or you'll sink like a stone

For the times they are a-changin'.

Come writers and critics

Who prophesize with your pen

And keep your eyes wide

The chance won't come again

And don't speak too soon

For the wheel's still in spin

And there's no tellin' who

That it's namin'

For the loser now

Will be later to win

For the times they are a-changin'.

If you want that award, create it yourself. The people that created the Hobey Baker award wanted to honor his memory. They are allowed to create the award that they want to give. Hobey was the best player in the country, and he was more. Character is very important, I don't see any problem with making that a consideration in giving an award.

That's all fine and good, but if this is an award sanctioned by the NCAA (who I would suggest is a shady organization themselves), there is a huge possibility in this day and age of social media to buy into the innuendo and gossip that is prevalent in society today, as witnessed on message boards across the country. I don't necessarily think the voters are able to sort through those things fairly, and if a player is branded a certain way early on, he might not have any chance. There were prevalent rumors about Neal Broten, that had social media been around might have caused voters to question their votes. I have no idea if those rumors were true or not, but sometimes if you hear them often, could lead you to not give him the benefit of the doubt. Character is indeed a good qualification for being honored, but sometimes character can be skewed, and that goes both ways.

That's all fine and good, but if this is an award sanctioned by the NCAA (who I would suggest is a shady organization themselves), there is a huge possibility in this day and age of social media to buy into the innuendo and gossip that is prevalent in society today, as witnessed on message boards across the country. I don't necessarily think the voters are able to sort through those things fairly, and if a player is branded a certain way early on, he might not have any chance. There were prevalent rumors about Neal Broten, that had social media been around might have caused voters to question their votes. I have no idea if those rumors were true or not, but sometimes if you hear them often, could lead you to not give him the benefit of the doubt. Character is indeed a good qualification for being honored, but sometimes character can be skewed, and that goes both ways.

The Hobey Baker Award is awarded by the Hobey Baker Award Foundation, and not the NCAA.

The Hobey Baker Award is awarded by the Hobey Baker Award Foundation, and not the NCAA.

Yeah, I suppose it is like the Heisman with the Downtown Athletic Club, but basically if the NCAA lets them use the image of "their" players, they are sanctioning it.

The can't come up with a newer picture? Interesting that his agent had him sign only a one year deal.

Its probably all he could get...he is not a big-time NHL prospect. Not meant to rip him, but much like Duncs, he had a great year in college, but isn't destined for a Parise or Toews NHL career.

Yeah, I suppose it is like the Heisman with the Downtown Athletic Club, but basically if the NCAA lets them use the image of "their" players, they are sanctioning it.

And if they are presenting the award, they get to choose the criteria for the award. If you want to determine the criteria for an award, create your own award. Or support the College Hockey News award. The Hobey Baker Award, given in honor of Hobey Baker, based on the life of Hobey Baker, is based on criteria set up by the Hobey Baker Award Foundation. The Foundation can use any criteria they want. They have chosen to give an award for the college hockey player that most closely lives up to the standards that Hobey Baker lived and played by. If you don't like it, don't pay attention to it.

And if they are presenting the award, they get to choose the criteria for the award. If you want to determine the criteria for an award, create your own award. Or support the College Hockey News award. The Hobey Baker Award, given in honor of Hobey Baker, based on the life of Hobey Baker, is based on criteria set up by the Hobey Baker Award Foundation. The Foundation can use any criteria they want. They have chosen to give an award for the college hockey player that most closely lives up to the standards that Hobey Baker lived and played by. If you don't like it, don't pay attention to it.

Never said I don't like it, just that it is more subject to the whims of social media.

Neither is your hero Kristo.

After your dead wrong comment about how he would toil in the ECHL, not sold on your judge of talent. But I don't think anyone was comparing Kristo to Toews or Parise so not sure what your comment was all about.

Neither is your hero Kristo.

NEVER have I posted that Danny Kristo is my "hero"- and I'd actually agree with you that Kristo will never be Parise or Toews at the next level- Where I disagree with you is around him toiling around in the ECHL-

If you are talking pro-prospect, Danny's a 2nd round pick, which, with his skill set, probably gives him about a 33% chance of making it as a career NHLer...

Okay I'm going to get yelled at for this, Kristo and Knight were good they weren't great. Kristo head sparks of being really good but he needed to be set up. He had a hard time beating defenders to the net against the wall. I don't think he was game changer I would have taken Oshie over him any day. Not saying Kristo wasn't good but I don't think he's good is everyone says he is.

Knight was awesome at faceoffs but I wasn't going to count on him to score the game winning goal.

If Oshie and Toews were still on the team Kristo and Knight wouldv been on the second line, not saying they wernt good at all.

Okay I'm going to get yelled at for this, Kristo and Knight were good they weren't great. Kristo head sparks of being really good but he needed to be set up. He had a hard time beating defenders to the net against the wall. I don't think he was game changer I would have taken Oshie over him any day. Not saying Kristo wasn't good but I don't think he's good is everyone says he is.

Knight was awesome at faceoffs but I wasn't going to count on him to score the game winning goal.

If Oshie and Toews were still on the team Kristo and Knight wouldv been on the second line, not saying they wernt good at all.

no doubt- Toews is probably the best 2-way center in the WORLD

Osh never spent a minute in the AHL- he went to the NHL as a top-6 forward, and scores 18 goals and makes some big checks

I have compared Danny's skill set to Drew Stafford- but Drew was a first rounder and is big...

Danny put up solid numbers at the WJC which generally translates very well to the pro game.

If you don't even go back to the two super stars you brought up, Danny and Corban were second line on the Pony Express team...