SiouxSports.com Forum

Frozen Four

Sioux-cia

If he means comparing player to player, he is comparing our best player to their best player and so on. So yes, I would say UND outmatches Yale player to player. Kristo is better than Agostino, Knight is better than Miller etc.

That's like lining up Tim Duncan vs Kobe Bryant and saying 'our best player is better than your best player.' Instead, I would go line by line and look at it head-to-head that way. No question that that Agostino would have filled in quite nicely on a line with Danny Kristo and solved a lot of UND's problems this season.

That's like lining up Tim Duncan vs Kobe Bryant and saying 'our best player is better than your best player.' I would go line by line and look at it head-to-head that way. I don't think there's any questions that Agostino would have filled in quite nicely on a line with Danny Kristo and solved a lot of UND's problems this season.

I agree line to line is a better way to look at things. UND's top line is better than Yale's, but was it in that game? Absolutely not.

No question that that Agostino would have filled in quite nicely on a line with Danny Kristo and solved a lot of UND's problems this season.

are you sure about that? hak tried what 20 different players on there including some nhl draft picks and never found one that worked. seems the only one that worked was playing in bridgeport this season.

are you sure about that? hak tried what 20 different players on there including some nhl draft picks and never found one that worked. seems the only one that worked was playing in bridgeport this season.

LOL...yea, that Brock Nelson guy would have worked out quite nicely too. :lol:

If he means comparing player to player, he is comparing our best player to their best player and so on. So yes, I would say UND outmatches Yale player to player. Kristo is better than Agostino, Knight is better than Miller etc.

I agree...there two things you are forgetting....team chemistry and team work ethic.

Having the best players doesn't always mean having the best team through no fault of the players or coaches, sometimes a group of athletes really gels and sometimes they don't. In all sports at all levels.

Just saying.

As a White Bear Lake youth hockey coach (we are forever WBL coaches even after we hang up our skates), I have to point out that three of the four teams in the frozen four have WBL skaters. As the WBL alum told me: "suck it, Shattuck". :-). Or as I would say "GO BEARS!!!"

There needs to be an award like the Heisman, an award for the nation's best player, period. LeBlanc is a great player, no doubt about that, but of the three finalists, Gaudreau is the best player and its not even close.

There needs to be an award like the Heisman, an award for the nation's best player, period. LeBlanc is a great player, no doubt about that, but of the three finalists, Gaudreau is the best player and its not even close.

If that were the case, I think Kristo would have been in the top three.

Since the voting among the top three takes place after the regionals, I'm a little surprised LeBlanc still won. He totally disappeared in the post-season.

If that were the case, I think Kristo would have been in the top three.

Since the voting among the top three takes place after the regionals, I'm a little surprised LeBlanc still won. He totally disappeared in the post-season.

Kristo would've absolutely been there. The Hobey is basically the following:

1) Must be a senior

2) On a team that is in the NCAA tournament

3) In the Top-20 in scoring

4) Who didn't get in trouble in his career

I think 1 and 4 are emphasized more than they should be.

LeBlancs season really wasn't that Hobeyish. It was a good season, but nothing too spectacular. I just don't get how Hartzell didn't win it, he's by far MVP on the "best" team in the nation and should've won.

In regard to the 4 steps 1) must be senior...etc etc, I feel goalies don't get nearly the credit they deserve. Without Hartzell OU isn't there in the finals, plain and simple.

LeBlancs season really wasn't that Hobeyish. It was a good season, but nothing too spectacular. I just don't get how Hartzell didn't win it, he's by far MVP on the "best" team in the nation and should've won.

In regard to the 4 steps 1) must be senior...etc etc, I feel goalies don't get nearly the credit they deserve. Without Hartzell OU isn't there in the finals, plain and simple.

Absolutely, this is the year I thought a goalie would win it. The leading scorer in the nation had 53 points, which is an abnormally low total. The other members of the Hobey Hattrick also had a things going against them, LeBlanc (not many goals), Gaudreau (underclassman), I thought Hartzell had all of the elements, best player, on the best team in the country, and is a senior.

Kristo would've absolutely been there. The Hobey is basically the following:

1) Must be a senior

2) On a team that is in the NCAA tournament

3) In the Top-20 in scoring

4) Who didn't get in trouble in his career

I think 1 and 4 are emphasized more than they should be.

Before tonight, 4 out of the last 10 have been underclassmen. That includes Ryan Duncan, who was the 3rd sophomore to win it, and 3 straight juniors. Seniors definitely win more often, but there are plenty of reasons for that. They are usually older, more mature, more physically mature, and have more name recognition. As far as the character issue goes, the award is named after someone that lived a very straight life. He worked hard and did things the right way. He was also the best player in college hockey, maybe all of hockey when he played. The award is meant to honor him. They are going to compare all candidates to him. The one that exemplifies him the most is who should win the award.
  • Upvote 1

Before tonight, 4 out of the last 10 have been underclassmen. That includes Ryan Duncan, who was the 3rd sophomore to win it, and 3 straight juniors. Seniors definitely win more often, but there are plenty of reasons for that. They are usually older, more mature, more physically mature, and have more name recognition. As far as the character issue goes, the award is named after someone that lived a very straight life. He worked hard and did things the right way. He was also the best player in college hockey, maybe all of hockey. The award is meant to honor him. They are going to compare all candidates to him. The one that exemplifies him the most is who should win the award.

The idea of the award seems to be finding the player that exemplifies Hobey Baker himself, rather than identifying the best player in the country. I would rather have an award for the best hockey player in the nation, regardless of class, position, or character (if his character is that bad, he probably won't be in a position to win the award anyway). The Heisman goes to the best football player in the country, hockey should have an award that goes to the best hockey player in the country.

The idea of the award seems to be finding the player that exemplifies Hobey Baker himself, rather than identifying the best player in the country. I would rather have an award for the best hockey player in the nation, regardless of class, position, or character (if his character is that bad, he probably won't be in a position to win the award anyway). The Heisman goes to the best football player in the country, hockey should have an award that goes to the best hockey player in the country.

If you want that award, create it yourself. The people that created the Hobey Baker award wanted to honor his memory. They are allowed to create the award that they want to give. Hobey was the best player in the country, and he was more. Character is very important, I don't see any problem with making that a consideration in giving an award.
  • Upvote 1