Seven juniors:

- a late summer add after a surprise non-arrival

- MacMillan

- a defenseman who has never really taken off

- a forward who shows flashes, then gets hurt

- a sixth or seventh defenseman

- a forward who missed most of last season

- a grind-line center

Throw in seven sophomores and eight freshmen.

College hockey has become an upperclassman's game. I'm not seeing them with this group. Please stand by.

• Upvote 2

Maybe instead of blaming the coaching how about taking a look at the execution. I saw a flaw or two...

I'm sure you are right... Hak bears no blame for any problems that the hockey team faces. We should be happy with whatever we get as fans, do not question the coaching. I mean, it's the players on the ice right? Hak and company can only do so much. It is just a strange coincidence that most (if not all) teams under the hakstol rule have under-performed compared to their talent level. If you don't like it, you can kiss off...

hakstol_bird.jpg

• Upvote 1

Four seniors:

- a transfer goalie

- a transfer third-liner from SCSU

- a forward who can't stick in the line-up

- a captain who is younger that one of the freshmen defensemen beside him

Seven juniors:

- a late summer add after a surprise non-arrival

- MacMillan

- a defenseman who has never really taken off

- a forward who shows flashes, then gets hurt

- a sixth or seventh defenseman

- a forward who missed most of last season

- a grind-line center

Throw in seven sophomores and eight freshmen.

College hockey has become an upperclassman's game. I'm not seeing them with this group. Please stand by.

Has hockey ever been otherwise? I figure(I know very very very little about this sport) if the best players can only be on the ice around 1/3 of the time it should come down to experience, no?

Fire Blasi, Miami blitzed by UNO

Fire Motzko, loses shootout to CC

Fire Sandelin, wiped out by Minnesota

Heck, fire every coach that lost

two of the guys you called out have won titles in the last three years, with the third guy being in the title game in the same time period

• Upvote 1

two of the guys you called out have won titles in the last three years, with the third guy being in the title game in the same time period

Didn't call anyone out; firing is addictive around here.

Sandelin's record at MDU has been poor for many of his seasons, but he does have the natty. I'd have a tough time trading the success Hak and UND have had for Sandelin's bad years and one natty. One natty for Hak just doesn't trump several years of poor seasons.

And if Hak lost a national championship game in the manner that Blasi did vs. BU, it would get totally brutal in here. And I don't really think Sandelin, Motzko, or Blasi will or should be fired.

Bring back the two line pass call. Maybe then we'd see more support the puck short passing game up the ice that was so effective during that era, and has since been lost with more and more stretch and cross ice pass attempts, and it's not just the Sioux.

False. Blasi has not won a title in the last three years at Miami (or in his entire tenure at Miami, for that matter) and St Cloud was not in the title game last year in its first Frozen Four appearance in school history.

And if Hak lost a national championship game in the manner that Blasi did vs. BU, it would get totally brutal in here.

I have researched this for quite some time now and have yet to discover another game in college OR professional history where a team scored an empty net goal in a championship-deciding game and went on to LOSE the game. What happened with Miami vs BU a few years ago was a one in a million freak of nature event. And you're 100% correct, sprig. Had DH been at the helm and that been UND losing to BU in similar fashion, I cannot imagine the hate that would be spewed on this site.

Think Minnesota and its knee-jerk reaction to firing Glen Mason a few years ago after the Gophers blew a 40something point lead and lost to Texas Tech in their bowl game. They fired a coach who had beaten #1 or #2 ranked Penn State in Happy Valley AND a highly-ranked Ohio State team in Columbus and replaced him with Tim Brewster, an epic fail that trumps all epic fails.

Michigan had a down year with Red last season...Jack Parker had a few with BU...Lucia had a couple with Minnesota...Sandelin has had plenty of them in Duluth...hell, Dean Blais had one in 2002 and a bad one at that...perhaps this is Hakstol's time...we'll find out.

I, for one, am tired of reading how 'talented' this team is and how the blame is all Hakstol's. Talent on paper should mean titles, right? Take a look at the NFL Atlanta Falcons who, on paper, looked like Super Bowl favorites in August. How are they doing now? San Francisco won the World Series last year...and had a disastrous season this year. If NHL-caliber talent alone decided college hockey championships, I suggest someone give Yale a call and find out their secret to last year's success. How many NHL guys were on UND's last national championship team in 2000? Hmnnnn...

• Upvote 1

False. Blasi has not won a title in the last three years at Miami (or in his entire tenure at Miami, for that matter) and St Cloud was not in the title game last year in its first Frozen Four appearance in school history.

You're right. I was still shaking off last night's cobwebs. What I meant to say was Bobby Motzko is coming off SCSU's best season ever, Miami was in the title game three years ago, and Sandy won a title two years ago.

You're right. I was still shaking off last night's cobwebs. What I meant to say was Bobby Motzko is coming off SCSU's best season ever, Miami was in the title game three years ago, and Sandy won a title two years ago.

and if I am off by a year, it doesn't matter- point remains the same

Even then gayphers are younger and #1u and have gotten 2 nattys since our last.

I'm stunned a moderator hasn't given you a time-out yet with the slur you keep throwing around at Minnesota...I can only assume its a matter of time before one finds it though...

Yea, Minnesota has two natties since UND's last...and those are pretty stale in the memories of Gopher fans now too since they're over ten years old! Not a lot of difference between 2000 and 2003 in my mind.

and if I am off by a year, it doesn't matter- point remains the same

No, your point was that two of those three coaches had won national titles with the third coach having made a title game appearance and that statement was completely wrong.

Besides, had UND beaten Yale to advance to the Frozen Four and then promptly lost to UMass-Lowell in the semi-finals, people here wouldn't be any less happy on this board than they are today. Hell, if UND had lost last year's national championship game, the firestorm would be even worse today.

Do u you like being an average team mafiaman?

As a und alum and gf resident unlike you i happen to think we should be way above avaerage with the resources we pump into our hockey program.

Money doesn't always buy success, gfhockey. Walking on granite floors inside REA doesn't automatically mean better hockey players.

Sandelin's record at MDU has been poor for many of his seasons, but he does have the natty. I'd have a tough time trading the success Hak and UND have had for Sandelin's bad years and one natty. One natty for Hak just doesn't trump several years of poor seasons.

It is an interesting question. I wrote this in my UND/Minnesota-Duluth preview:

51-20-12. That’s the record that Minnesota-Duluth compiled from 2010-2012. In 2010-11, the Bulldogs won the national title, and they followed that up with a berth in the Northeast Regional final at the end of the 2012 campaign (falling to Boston College).

But last season was a different story. UMD won only 14 games (14-19-5) and finished ninth in the last season of the WCHA as it used to be. Despite a national championship to his credit, head coach Scott Sandelin is only three games over .500 (236-233-64, .503) during his tenure at Duluth. Now in his 14th season behind the bench, Sandelin has notched 20 or more victories six times, claimed one WCHA playoff championship, led Duluth to the national tournament four times, and brought his teams to two Frozen Fours.

By contrast, UND head coach Dave Hakstol, now in his tenth season coaching at his alma mater, already has 239 wins to his credit (239-125-38, .642). In each of his nine campaigns, Hakstol has won at least 20 games and brought UND to the NCAA tournament. He boasts two MacNaughton Cups (WCHA regular season title), four Broadmoor trophies (WCHA playoff title), and five Frozen Four appearances.

One could argue that North Dakota should have more success than Minnesota-Duluth, due to tradition/facilities/etc., but it is an interesting discussion.

Dave

Money doesn't always buy success, gfhockey. Walking on granite floors inside REA doesn't automatically mean better hockey players.

I thought the tiles were marble. Besides that MafiaMan you seem to be jumping all over others that you do not agree with. You know if you were such a great fan you really should have season tickets and make the drive to GF every game. I have friends who drive in from Bismarck for all the games.
  • Upvote 1

51-20-12. That’s the record that Minnesota-Duluth compiled from 2010-2012. In 2010-11, the Bulldogs won the national title, and they followed that up with a berth in the Northeast Regional final at the end of the 2012 campaign (falling to Boston College).

But last season was a different story. UMD won only 14 games (14-19-5) and finished ninth in the last season of the WCHA as it used to be. Despite a national championship to his credit, head coach Scott Sandelin is only three games over .500 (236-233-64, .503) during his tenure at Duluth. Now in his 14th season behind the bench, Sandelin has notched 20 or more victories six times, claimed one WCHA playoff championship, led Duluth to the national tournament four times, and brought his teams to two Frozen Fours.

By contrast, UND head coach Dave Hakstol, now in his tenth season coaching at his alma mater, already has 239 wins to his credit (239-125-38, .642). In each of his nine campaigns, Hakstol has won at least 20 games and brought UND to the NCAA tournament. He boasts two MacNaughton Cups (WCHA regular season title), four Broadmoor trophies (WCHA playoff title), and five Frozen Four appearances.

One could argue that North Dakota should have more success than Minnesota-Duluth, due to tradition/facilities/etc., but it is an interesting discussion.

Dave

Dave, Could you break it down taking out what Dean had left Hak. Then compare the two.

Dave

Dave Hakstol is the only active head coach in Division I to have a winning record every year that he’s coached. He’s made the NCAA tourney ever year that he’s coached. His only crime is that his teams have never won an NCAA title.

Do u you like being an average team mafiaman?

As a und alum and gf resident unlike you i happen to think we should be way above avaerage with the resources we pump into our hockey program.

How can you be a "gf resident" if you're an "oil guy roughneck"???

I have to say even though Mafia is getting pounced on for his defense of Hak and this team, I couldn't agree more with him.