SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

As long as Hak brings in the fans (which were #1 in DI..again), Hak's job is safe. At least with Hak we know UND will be there in the playoffs. We are not UAA or Michigan Tech. UND went from 1963-1980 without a title, and 87-97 without a title. We are now at 13 years....its frustrating but title droughts aren't a rare thing.

As long as Hak brings in the fans (which were #1 in DI..again), Hak's job is safe. At least with Hak we know UND will be there in the playoffs. We are not UAA or Michigan Tech. UND went from 1963-1980 without a title, and 87-97 without a title. We are now at 13 years....its frustrating but title droughts aren't a rare thing.

That's a very good point. But I am retiring this year after 40 years in education, and if someone had told me in 2000 I would be a retiree before they won another one, I would not have believed them. As I think I have said before on here in the past, I just hope they win one more before I die.
  • Upvote 1

That's a very good point. But I am retiring this year after 40 years in education, and if someone had told me in 2000 I would be a retiree before they won another one, I would not have believed them. As I think I have said before on here in the past, I just hope they win one more before I die.

Congrats and best luck in retirement! Perhaps with 40 years in, you might've even been my teacher somewhere along the line. Noble profession! I thank all of my teachers for setting me up to succeed in undergrad, business school, professional life, and personal life #fuller richer life thanks to teachers

I sure hope your not a Chicago Cub fan too.

Go Sox. Go Sioux.

Throughout the whole 'Fire Hak' conversation, I keep thinking of Nebraska football...probably because I lived there in the Callahan years. It's not always safe to assume that the replacement will be better.

Correct.

I've said it before...the only semi-realistic option out there that I'd even consider replacing Hak with is Mike Cavanaugh.

(and by semi-realistic, I mean people like Mike Babcock aren't options)

What current/recently former NHL coaches would come to UND? Andy Murray went to Western Mich, so it's not unheard of. A coach who is tired of the business of the NHL and wants to enjoy the college atmosphere, albeit in North Dakota, could be a good replacement hire for Hak once he moves on (likely of his own choice and not because he is fired.)

What current/recently former NHL coaches would come to UND? Andy Murray went to Western Mich, so it's not unheard of. A coach who is tired of the business of the NHL and wants to enjoy the college atmosphere, albeit in North Dakota, could be a good replacement hire for Hak once he moves on (likely of his own choice and not because he is fired.)

But the pro to college transition isn't always a successful one...also a lesson learned from Callahan during his Nebraska football days.

Throughout the whole 'Fire Hak' conversation, I keep thinking of Nebraska football...probably because I lived there in the Callahan years. It's not always safe to assume that the replacement will be better.

As a Husker fan, that's always the example I use to deter "Fire Hak"ers. We're still not back to the level we were before Solich was fired and that was 10 years ago.

But the pro to college transition isn't always a successful one...also a lesson learned from Callahan during his Nebraska football days.

And when you are unsuccessful at Nebraska, you join the Big 10. :ohmy:

As a Husker fan, that's always the example I use to deter "Fire Hak"ers. We're still not back to the level we were before Solich was fired and that was 10 years ago.

Nebraska deserves everything it gets for the way it used to run up the score on oppenents in the 1990's not to mention the fact that Michigan is the only team EVER to be ranked #1 in the coaches poll prior to its bowl game to FALL in the poll after a bowl WIN. Here's your Lifetime Achievement Award, Coach Osborne!

Great article...fan expectations are beyond insane these days.

Good points above.

People assume if you fire Hak, BOOM! National title comes next. (by the way, how many years would the new guy get before we call for his head?) What if you hire a new guy... and things get worse? The grass isn't always greener folks.

So if someone replaced Hak tomorrow and they won a title next year, we could all agree that it was accomplished with Hak's recruits. I just remember when Hak took the team to the title game about a decade ago, and wasn't given full credit because they were Dean's recruits. The whole thing absurd. We all want to win a title, but it isn't an easy task. It hasn't been an easy task for any coach. Look at the droughts all of the top tier coaches in DI hockey have experienced. You could have the best team ever assembled, but nothing is guarunteed in a one and done scenario. Hak could just as easily have three titles by now if posts weren't hit, and opposing goalies didn't play out of their mind. S&^t happems. Period. Fire Hak when we stop making the tourney and the quality of our recruits decline. Until then we have one of the best coaches in college hockey, and we would be foolish to part ways.

Those of you who are bitching are the same ones that would be bitching if Hak had won a title against DU in his first year and hadn't won one since.

I agree with SiouxAlum01, But I Have One Additional Point! Why do we not find a goalie who will play out of his mind come tournament time? Food For Thought! :lol::whistling: I was wondering if Karl G. is involved in goalie recruiting or not or just coaching?

I agree with SiouxAlum01, But I Have One Additional Point! Why do we not find a goalie who will play out of his mind come tournament time? Food For Thought! :lol::whistling: I was wondering if Karl G. is involved in goalie recruiting or not or just coaching?

I believe he is their primary goalie recruiter. I know he was at a Force game a couple months ago to scout a goalie on the visiting team.

So if someone replaced Hak tomorrow and they won a title next year, we could all agree that it was accomplished with Hak's recruits. I just remember when Hak took the team to the title game about a decade ago, and wasn't given full credit because they were Dean's recruits. The whole thing absurd. We all want to win a title, but it isn't an easy task. It hasn't been an easy task for any coach. Look at the droughts all of the top tier coaches in DI hockey have experienced. You could have the best team ever assembled, but nothing is guarunteed in a one and done scenario. Hak could just as easily have three titles by now if posts weren't hit, and opposing goalies didn't play out of their mind. S&^t happems. Period. Fire Hak when we stop making the tourney and the quality of our recruits decline. Until then we have one of the best coaches in college hockey, and we would be foolish to part ways.

Those of you who are bitching are the same ones that would be bitching if Hak had won a title against DU in his first year and hadn't won one since.

But would not have Hak contributed a lot in the recruiting of these guys to start with? OK Lucifer did it with some of Woog's boys because he had not been there when they were recruited. But Hak was there so they really could be said to be his recruits also.

No one has brought this up and I have been thinking about this. To win a national all the stars have to align properly. A groove as a team has to be found. I do not think no matter how hard one tries the groove comes on its own. When something is going right it is just that way. You can not control or make this groove no matter how hard one tries to create more or less a feeling. Yale just got into a groove for 2 games. Are they going to have that groove still 2 weeks later? I guess we will find out tomorrow.

Better words Hak has only so much control or influence and then fate takes over. Look at 87, 97, and 2000. I don't think it was talent so much but the groove the talent that was there put together. As most of you know I do not like Hak but I can not see any reason to fire him. Even if he was and then next coach took a title with Haks guys I still would not give the new guy credit. Too much of it all falls on the luck of the day. Hence how people have mentioned all the pipes that were hit against Yale and the entire season. Probably why I believe in fate so much. Look at how one chance meeting can change one's life.

But would not have Hak contributed a lot in the recruiting of these guys to start with? OK Lucifer did it with some of Woog's boys because he had not been there when they were recruited. But Hak was there so they really could be said to be his recruits also.

No one has brought this up and I have been thinking about this. To win a national all the stars have to align properly. A groove as a team has to be found. I do not think no matter how hard one tries the groove comes on its own. When something is going right it is just that way. You can not control or make this groove no matter how hard one tries to create more or less a feeling. Yale just got into a groove for 2 games. Are they going to have that groove still 2 weeks later? I guess we will find out tomorrow.

Better words Hak has only so much control or influence and then fate takes over. Look at 87, 97, and 2000. I don't think it was talent so much but the groove the talent that was there put together. As most of you know I do not like Hak but I can not see any reason to fire him. Even if he was and then next coach took a title with Haks guys I still would not give the new guy credit. Too much of it all falls on the luck of the day. Hence how people have mentioned all the pipes that were hit against Yale and the entire season. Probably why I believe in fate so much. Look at how one chance meeting can change one's life.

watchmaker49, your SiouxSports.com account has been hacked!

• Upvote 2

I have to agree with most of this post. The 87 team certainly had what I would call "It". They had talent and everything went their way. The 10-11 team had "It" but still fell short. This year's team did not have "It". They were a good team but were missing "It". A few posts hit, a defenseman fall down at an inopportune time, a soft goal too often. Lots of fate involved in winning the NC.

The best team doesn't always win the F4. We've had some of the best players in the country and, yet they fell short. They're not automatons and the game is played on ice, not on a monitor. I've been disappointed with the outcome of a game many times but rarely has the team disappointed me.

• Upvote 1