SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

And with the new ralph after back to back title game appearances. Expectations were sky high!!! Much more than 0.

Couldn't agree more - Many people including me thought we would be what BC has become. To win 0 titles is very frustrating

I've enjoyed our conversation tonight, but this is the dumbest thing I have heard tonight. We were the best team in the country moving into a state of the art stadium. How does that relate to the Marlins in any way.

Denver, CC, Minnesota, BU, UMD, and BC all have new arenas too...that's no guarantee of success.

Oh wait a minute - they have all won titles

Unless I missed something, CC's last title was in 1957. I don't think they've won since they opened their new rink. BC opened their rink in 1988, and didn't win a title until 2001. Minnesota opened the new Mariucci in 1993 and didn't win a title until 2002. It doesn't look like opening a new arena guarantees winning a national title any time soon.

Unless I missed something, CC's last title was in 1957. I don't think they've won since they opened their new rink. BC opened their rink in 1988, and didn't win a title until 2001. Minnesota opened the new Mariucci in 1993 and didn't win a title until 2002. It doesn't look like opening a new arena guarantees winning a national title any time soon.

If I told you before the season began that both Kristo and Knight would be HOBY finalists and that we just had to hold a 1 goal lead in the third against Yale (the number 4 seed) in order to get into a frozen 4 with Quinipinnac, St. Cloud State, and U Mass- Lowell, what would your reaction be?

If I told you before the season began that both Kristo and Knight would be HOBY finalists and that we just had to hold a 1 goal lead in the third against Yale (the number 4 seed) in order to get into a frozen 4 with Quinipinnac, St. Cloud State, and U Mass- Lowell, what would your reaction be?

I would think that UND had a pretty good chance to make it to another Frozen Four if the goaltending held up (since goaltending was a question mark before the season). I would remember that Yale beat UND in the tournament not that many years ago. But I would also know that nothing is guaranteed, and that the other 3 teams must have had a pretty good year to make it to the Frozen Four. I rarely go into a game positive that UND is going to win.

Wondering if the regional final site had Dippin Dots or not.

It is, after all, the ice cream of the future.

• Upvote 2

If I told you that a Hockey East team that was swept by UNH in December has gone 24-3-1 since then and asked you to name that team, what would your answer be?

Hint: It's not Boston College

Also, Yale: 4-0 against the WCHA this year. At some point, you have to admit to yourself that that's a pretty good hockey team.

Sucks to start to follow UND HOCKEY in the "golden days" (championships). 2000. I got spoiled. And the simple point is I don't really buy the parity issue.

Everyone touts Hak's teams 2nd half records over his tenure but don't talk about his 1-5 FF record or some of the bad NCAA losses. Not sure I buy the parity issue especially when one looks at BC the last 5-6 years. IMO UND should have at minimum of 1 Natty banner hanging with the talented teams Hak had has. Puck luck...yes you need that but something needs to be said about being a big game coach or not being one.

If Michigan won 2 titles in 22 straight trips to the NCAA, UND should be "due". Berenson has 2 national titles under his belt in 30 years as the Wolverine's head coach - took him 12 years to get the first. But, the Wolverines are also 0 for the century.

Since 2008, here is a list of schools making first-ever Frozen Four appearances:

2008: Notre Dame

2009: Bemidji State, Miami

2010: Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT)

2012: Ferris State, Union

2013: St Cloud State, Quinnipiac, UMass-Lowell

That's 9 different schools reaching the Frozen Four for the first time ever in the last six seasons. Parity?

Remember also, there used to be D-II hockey until 2000. Teams like Bemifji State and Quinnipiac have only been D-1 since that time. St Cloud State and Minnesota State (amongst many others including RIT) have only been D-1 since the 1990's...yes, there has indeed been an increase in the number of teams in the field...

My time frame is 80-2000 - this is a time when we were the best program in college hockey - count em 5 titles. While others won some, we were a force for 20 years.

I think there were as many bad years as good in the time frame. Like from 83-86, 88-96 (edited wrong key).

What does not make sense? After the 82 championship they really did nothing until the 87 championship. Then nothing again until 97. I hit the wrong key, my bad.

The 79-82 teams were a force...

The 83-84 team lost a heartbreaker to UMD in the NCAAs...

Obviously 86-87 was amazing...

The 89-90 team won 28 games and went to the NCAAs...

The early 90's teams underwhelmed, then Blais got us to mediocrity his first couple years, then to the pinnacle

If you exclude the first two years of Blaiser's tenure as turnaround, he then went on to achieve 7 trips to the NCAAs in 8 years, 5 MacNaughtons, 2 Broadmoors, and 2 NCAAs, 3 trips to the frozen four

You can't give Dave any slack for having to turn around a program, so if you count all of his years, he went to the NCAAs 9 out of 9, 2 MAcNaughtons, 4 Broadmoors, and 0 NCAAs, 5 trips to Frozen Four

Combined, that is, in 17 years, 7 League titles, 6 league playoff titles, and 2 National Titles, and 8 trips to the frozen four along with 16 trips to the NCAAs...pretty impressive.

Todd Jones and Darren Bear will agree with you.

Matt Morelli called...he concurs as well.

Disclaimer: (I mean this with absolutely NO disrespect to Todd Jones, Darren Bear, or Matt Morelli, who are all far better hockey players than I could ever hope to be...)

Combined, that is, in 17 years, 7 League titles, 6 league playoff titles, and 2 National Titles, and 8 trips to the frozen four along with 16 trips to the NCAAs...pretty impressive.

Or, as some people like to look at it, 17 years, 7 ho-hum league titles, 6 zzzz league playoff titles, 2 national titles, and 15 epic failures of a season.

in this entire argument let's don't leave denver out. they have 7 national titles(same as us) and 2 more since, michigan, north dakota and minnesota have won their last. UND WILL one(or more) in the next five years. heck I wouldn't be surprised if next years team does as they seem to happen when no thinks they will. both 97 and 2000 were unexpected.

Matt Morelli called...he concurs as well.

Disclaimer: (I mean this with absolutely NO disrespect to Todd Jones, Darren Bear, or Matt Morelli, who are all far better hockey players than I could ever hope to be...)

I should've had the disclaimer as well. Despite the record of some of those early 90s teams, that's where I really grew into my love for Sioux hockey and I look back on those years very fondly.