SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

What thread are we in?

you asked when does UND win the national championship when they do not have the best team. I simply answered 1997 as michigan was by far and away the best team in the land that season. UND had the best team on paper in 2004 and 2011 and came up short both of those years with different coaches.

1997, michigan was the best team in the land

you asked when does UND win the national championship when they do not have the best team. I simply answered 1997 as michigan was by far and away the best team in the land that season.

FAR AND AWAY is an understatement. That team was LOADED.

Sioux83, you asked when has UND ever won a title by not being the 'best team' (on paper, I'm assuming)...well, there's your answer: 1997.

Does anyone here REALLY think Minnesota-Duluth was the 'best team' in 2011?

FAR AND AWAY is an understatement. That team was LOADED.

Sioux83, you asked when has UND ever won a title by not being the 'best team' (on paper, I'm assuming)...well, there's your answer: 1997.

Does anyone here REALLY think Minnesota-Duluth was the 'best team' in 2011?

Sorry, I guess I assumed people would understand I meant during Dave Hakstol's time at UND, being we are in a Dave Hakstol thread.

Sorry, I guess I assumed people would understand I meant during Dave Hakstol's time at UND, being we are in a Dave Hakstol thread.

Haha! There aren't many threads around here that stay on topic, so that wasn't a safe assumption!

OK, so I will ask this: When does UND ever win the National Championship in a year where they "do not have the best team"? I keep hearing it is not the best team that always wins, blah blah. Well, we have all agreed that UND has rarely had the best team on paper in the last 10 years - so why can't it be them if the "best team doesn't usually win it"?

Because the moon was only in the 6th house and Jupiter failed to align with Mars and peace failed to guide the planets...

Gwoz's NCAA Record at Denver

95' 1-1

96' DNQ

97' 1-1

98' DNQ

99' 0-1

00' DNQ

01' DNQ

02' 0-1 (#1 Seed)

03' DNQ

04' 4-0 (National Title)

05' 4-0 (National Title) (#1 Seed)

06' DNQ

07' DNQ

08' 0-1

09' 0-1 (#1 Seed)

10' 0-1 (#1 Seed)

11' 1-1

12' 0-1

13' 0-1

So, aside from the 55 week stretch from the end of March in 04' and Early April of 05' Gwoz's teams really haven't had "it". Gwoz was 8-0 between 04' and 05' riding a very hot goalie in 04'. The other 17 years of his career his team was 3-10 in the ncaa tourney with 7 years of not qualifying for the tourney and 7 years of losing in their first game of the tourney (3 of those first game losses as a #1 Seed). Please explain to me how this makes his teams have "it". I would take Hak's consistency over this any day. Only 5 out of Gwoz's 19 seasons at Denver he was able to win a game at the NCAA tourney. Again, he and his teams sure have "it".

Sorry, but I want NC's , Gwoz has them, woog (i mean hakstol) doesn't. If you ask the players every year what their #1 goal is they would tell you a NC and everything else is secondary. I'd bet a month's salary if you asked Kristo, Knight, McWilliams or any underclassmen for that matter (or Hakstol for that matter) if they would take 1 NC and 3 years of average (like a .500 record and no McNaughton or Broadmoor trophies), over what they actually had the last 4 years, they would say hell yes in a heartbeat.

Does that mean Hakstol is a bad coach, heck no, but you can't argue that he and his teams have struggled mightily to get the ultimate prize. To Hakstol and his teams credit they have found a way to get there 9 times in 9 years, and that is quite an accomplishment, but getting there is not the goal. That doesn't mean the team has played bad, they just haven't found the pot of gold.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know - other than Woog has any coach been to the NCAA's more than Hakstol without winning a NC?

Sorry, but I want NC's , Gwoz has them, woog (i mean hakstol) doesn't. If you ask the players every year what their #1 goal is they would tell you a NC and everything else is secondary. I'd bet a month's salary if you asked Kristo, Knight, McWilliams or any underclassmen for that matter (or Hakstol for that matter) if they would take 1 NC and 3 years of average (like a .500 record and no McNaughton or Broadmoor trophies), over what they actually had the last 4 years, they would say hell yes in a heartbeat.

Does that mean Hakstol is a bad coach, heck no, but you can't argue that he and his teams have struggled mightily to get the ultimate prize. To Hakstol and his teams credit they have found a way to get there 9 times in 9 years, and that is quite an accomplishment, but getting there is not the goal. That doesn't mean the team has played bad, they just haven't found the pot of gold.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know - other than Woog has any coach been to the NCAA's more than Hakstol without winning a NC?

Let me get this straight. If we could go back in time and change who won the 05' title game out of UND and Denver (Hakstol's first year as head coach), then have UND miss two consecutive NCAA tourneys (06' and 07'), and then have UND win 1 game in their next 6 NCAA tourneys, you would be happier today with Hakstol as our head coach? That is absolutely nuts. Gwoz's resume during Hakstol's era isn't even on the same level.

Let me get this straight. If we could go back in time and change who won the 05' title game out of UND and Denver (Hakstol's first year as head coach), then have UND miss two consecutive NCAA tourneys (06' and 07'), and then have UND win 1 game in their next 6 NCAA tourneys, you would be happier today with Hakstol as our head coach? That is absolutely nuts. Gwoz's resume during Hakstol's era isn't even on the same level.

Nuts is right. He'd be screaming for Hakstol's head!

I'm sure If Hak would've won in '05 and things played out as you've listed, he'd still definitely be on the hot seat because the expectations would be a title every 5 years instead of the current standard of 10! :)

FIrst of all I'm not talking about who the coach is (in this case it just happens to be Hakstol). I don't care who's coaching and I don't care if the NC came 05, 07, 09, 11 or this year. I value NC's more than just being there. If you want participation banners that's fine and your choice. Would I rather be in the NCAA's than not, of course. Would I trade being there every year for winning it once every 9 years or whatever, absolutely. To that end, if you asked coach Hakstol if he would trade his 8 other appearances for 1 NC over the last 9 years what do you think he would say. If you don't think the answer to that is yes then you are nutsI So he is most likely of the same opinion as I am.

So I just hope he and his team can get over the hump next year, nothing more nothing less.

would rather have 1 NC in the last 9 years than 9 appearances ; I want NC's.

• Upvote 1

FIrst of all I'm not talking about who the coach is (in this case it just happens to be Hakstol). I don't care who's coaching and I don't care if the NC came 05, 07, 09, 11 or this year. I value NC's more than just being there. If you want participation banners that's fine and your choice. Would I rather be in the NCAA's than not, of course. Would I trade being there every year for winning it once every 9 years or whatever, absolutely. To that end, if you asked coach Hakstol if he would trade his 8 other appearances for 1 NC over the last 9 years what do you think he would say. If you don't think the answer to that is yes then you are nutsI So he is most likely of the same opinion as I am.

So I just hope he and his team can get over the hump next year, nothing more nothing less.

would rather have 1 NC in the last 9 years than 9 appearances ; I want NC's.

If Hakstol had 1 National Championship and missed the tournament the other 8 years, he wouldn't have a job at UND. If UND missed the NCAA tournament 8 times out of 9 years they wouldn't be able to recruit the talent that they are getting now, therefore they wouldn't even be in the upper tier of teams competing for National Championships year in and year out. I know alot of nutso fans have a belief that the arena and tradition recruits itself, but that is far from reality. Hakstol is a great coach and a great recruiter that will get a title one of these years. For those of you who can't enjoy the ride until we get that title, get off of the bus.

Do you live in Hakstol's brain, or how else do you know his answers to your questions since he is "most likely of the same opinion as I am." I have a hard time not laughing at some of the material that is posted on this board. Do people truly think like this?

• Upvote 3

If Hakstol had 1 National Championship and missed the tournament the other 8 years, he wouldn't have a job at UND. If UND missed the NCAA tournament 8 times out of 9 years they wouldn't be able to recruit the talent that they are getting now, therefore they wouldn't even be in the upper tier of teams competing for National Championships year in and year out. I know alot of nutso fans have a belief that the arena and tradition recruits itself, but that is far from reality. Hakstol is a great coach and a great recruiter that will get a title one of these years. For those of you who can't enjoy the ride until we get that title, get off of the bus.

Do you live in Hakstol's brain, or how else do you know his answers to your questions since he is "most likely of the same opinion as I am." I have a hard time not laughing at some of the material that is posted on this board. Do people truly think like this?

Because I am clearly much more intelligent than you and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that Coach Hakstol wants to win NC's. And I have no doubt that he would trade multiple appearances for winning a NC.

Is it your position that he is perfectly happy appearing every year but not winning? I have a hard time not laughing at such a postion. Do you truly think like that? Do you think at all?

I know alot of nutso fans have a belief that the arena and tradition recruits itself, but that is far from reality.

So you're saying that leather seats and marble floors DON'T sway recruits in their decision-making? Who knew?

Because I am clearly much more intelligent than you and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that Coach Hakstol wants to win NC's. And I have no doubt that he would trade multiple appearances for winning a NC.

Is it your position that he is perfectly happy appearing every year but not winning? I have a hard time not laughing at such a postion. Do you truly think like that? Do you think at all?

Since you're a new poster, I'll give you a friendly piece of advice...condescension doesn't go over very well. If you want to make your point (and have anyone actually pay attention to you), try doing it without belittling everyone else. Thanks.

• Upvote 2

Since you're a new poster, I'll give you a friendly piece of advice...condescension doesn't go over very well. If you want to make your point (and have anyone actually pay attention to you), try doing it without belittling everyone else. Thanks.

and i'll give you a friendly piece of advice, read the post i responded to jack. i only gave back what i got.

and i'll give you a friendly piece of advice, read the post i responded to jack. i only gave back what i got.

Oh, I know. I just try to convince the newbies not to digress to a habit that's all too common around here.