SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

I should've had the disclaimer as well. Despite the record of some of those early 90s teams, that's where I really grew into my love for Sioux hockey and I look back on those years very fondly.

Hey, Snake, do you happen to remember the 5-5 or 6-6 tie with Northern Michigan in either 1990, 1991, or 1992?

Combined, that is, in 17 years, 7 League titles, 6 league playoff titles, and 2 National Titles, and 8 trips to the frozen four along with 16 trips to the NCAAs...pretty impressive.

I know this is all a debate about what people define as successful, but I like what's written there. That's a pretty strong 17 years. Even if you break it down to Hakstol alone, it's still strong, in my opinion.

Hey, Snake, do you happen to remember the 5-5 or 6-6 tie with Northern Michigan in either 1990, 1991, or 1992?

I can't say that I do. I regularly started attending games probably in the '91-'92 or '92-'93 seasons. I was just starting HS then, and it was an extremely cheap thing to do on the weekends when you could walk up to the old Ralph and basically have a ticket given to you! Despite the results on the ice we always had a great time at those games.

I can't say that I do. I regularly started attending games probably in the '91-'92 or '92-'93 seasons. I was just starting HS then, and it was an extremely cheap thing to do on the weekends when you could walk up to the old Ralph and basically have a ticket given to you! Despite the results on the ice we always had a great time at those games.

I will have to look it up myself...one of my top three Sioux games of all-time. NMU punched in a goal with about 12 minutes left to make the score 5-0 or 6-0. About 1/2 of the fans immediately got up and left. The student section stood up and started chanting "let's go Sioux" loudly. 12 minutes later, the scoreboard read 0:00...but it also showed a tie score. Each team had a breakaway in OT that was stopped and the game ended a tie. NMU skated off like they had just lost the NCAA title game...North Dakota celebrated like it was the 1980 USA/Soviet game and they were wearing red, white, and blue. The team skated over to the student section and gave us a salute. One of the greatest memories I have of Sioux hockey...and the reason why I NEVER leave a game early.

I will have to look it up myself...one of my top three Sioux games of all-time. NMU punched in a goal with about 12 minutes left to make the score 5-0 or 6-0. About 1/2 of the fans immediately got up and left. The student section stood up and started chanting "let's go Sioux" loudly. 12 minutes later, the scoreboard read 0:00...but it also showed a tie score. Each team had a breakaway in OT that was stopped and the game ended a tie. NMU skated off like they had just lost the NCAA title game...North Dakota celebrated like it was the 1980 USA/Soviet game and they were wearing red, white, and blue. The team skated over to the student section and gave us a salute. One of the greatest memories I have of Sioux hockey...and the reason why I NEVER leave a game early.

UND Media Guide lists a 10/20/90 5-5 OT tie against NMU and a 1-11-92 6-6 OT tie against NMU in the all-time records against section. I am pretty certain the game was my sophomore year, which would be the 10/20/90 game. Problem is...the media guide lists this as an away series...it also shows the Sioux getting swept at home two months later that season...I think they're backwards and the team was at home for the October series and on the road in December.

I was just perusing the success of college hockey programs over the last 17 years...I would like everyone to be clear on the following facts:

1. Nobody has won more league regular season titles in any league than UND (tied with Michigan)

2. Only Michigan and BC have won more league playoff titles than UND

3. Nobody has more NCAA tourney appearances (tied with Michigan)

4. Only BC has more Frozen Four appearances

5. Only BC has more NCAA titles

Now you might say it is convenient to look at the last 17 years. I am starting from that point based on the turnaround of the program following that rough patch.

So, sure, you can say that BC had the best last 17 years, but an objective person would say the top 3 performers are BC, Michigan, and UND. Minnesota, Denver, BU. Michigan State right behind. New Hampshire with everything but the NCAA.

Matt Morelli called...he concurs as well.

Disclaimer: (I mean this with absolutely NO disrespect to Todd Jones, Darren Bear, or Matt Morelli, who are all far better hockey players than I could ever hope to be...)

How dare you rip on a former Minot High School alum like myself!!! How dare you!!! :lol:

We will see Morelli part 3 in a few years when his son Mason suits up for the Sioux.

This is why I feel like something needs to be done with the post season format. Either play a best of 3 first round series, similar to NCAA baseball, or expand the field to 24 teams. It's just not fair to the teams that have been the best teams all year to have to play a single game elimination against a good team in a sport where bad bounces/officiating can have such a significant impact on the outcome. They play great all year but have NO advantage come playoff time, especially when the parity is as crazy as it is in college hockey.

Either:

1. Play a best of 3 series in the first round at a neutral site/home arena

2. Play single elimination at top seeds arena (like it used to be)

3. Expand field to 24 teams and choose option one or two. 24 teams may seem like a lot, but the tournament would probably be just as competitive as it is now due to the parity

-Also, stop messing with the seeding for "attendance" purposes. The only changes that should ever be made are if a team is hosting a regional and needs to be switched or if there's an inter-conference matchup.

Matt Morelli called...he concurs as well.

Disclaimer: (I mean this with absolutely NO disrespect to Todd Jones, Darren Bear, or Matt Morelli, who are all far better hockey players than I could ever hope to be...)

Morelli is the man. :)

I've said this time and again over the years...if a small school is the #1 overall seed in the tournament or even a higher seed overall, why is the 'reward' usually going to play someone else in their own backyard? This system is a joke and not only punishes the team, it punishes the fans.

The first round MUST go back to a best of three series in the top seed's barn. If Northern Michigan is the #8 seed and the #9 seed is Minnesota, so be it. It's 'hello Marquette' for the Gophers. If #1 is Quinnipiac, no problem. Enjoy the long trip #16 Denver. It's not rocket science.

I've said this time and again over the years...if a small school is the #1 overall seed in the tournament or even a higher seed overall, why is the 'reward' usually going to play someone else in their own backyard? This system is a joke and not only punishes the team, it punishes the fans.

The first round MUST go back to a best of three series in the top seed's barn. If Northern Michigan is the #8 seed and the #9 seed is Minnesota, so be it. It's 'hello Marquette' for the Gophers. If #1 is Quinnipiac, no problem. Enjoy the long trip #16 Denver. It's not rocket science.

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

True what you say though, the tournament has become somewhat of a joke. The regions should be set up long in advance as far as #1-4 seeds, and the teams should be placed as such from 1-16 based on the final PWR rankings...NO EXCEPTIONS. If BC is ranked to play in Denver than that's where they go, not shuffle everything to get them in Hartford, same with Minnesota or anybody else.

If you have the first round a best-of-three at the higher seeds home, would you make the finals an 8-team, 3 day tournament? I wouldn't mind that, the attendance numbers would be much higher for both the first round games and the Frozen 4 and 4 More or whatever.

• Upvote 1

True what you say though, the tournament has become somewhat of a joke. The regions should be set up long in advance as far as #1-4 seeds, and the teams should be placed as such from 1-16 based on the final PWR rankings...NO EXCEPTIONS. If BC is ranked to play in Denver than that's where they go, not shuffle everything to get them in Hartford, same with Minnesota or anybody else.

If you have the first round a best-of-three at the higher seeds home, would you make the finals an 8-team, 3 day tournament? I wouldn't mind that, the attendance numbers would be much higher for both the first round games and the Frozen 4 and 4 More or whatever.

Wouldn't mind seeing an eight team Final. Then it would make more sense to have the week in between the regionals and the finals. 3 games in three days isn't anything nobody is used to, especially if they have a week and a half of rest after the regionals. You're also more likely to be playing the finals in front of a full house, regardless where it's at.

Setting up the regions long in advance has done nothing to alleviate attendance issues. If only 1900 fans make the trip to Grand Rapids, how much worse would attendance have been had Boston College replaced North Dakota or Quinnipiac replaced Minnesota? It would have made minimal diffference. I simply don't believe it's good practice to have a small school (let's say Lake Superior State) have a good year and be a #1 seed only to wind up at a regional 1000 miles away from home in front of a good crowd of UNH fans. 1998 is a PERFECT example of what shouldn't happen...but it KEEPS happening. And the constant juggling to help out 'attendance' is getting old.

Maybe even take it further and only take the top 8 teams to start with. They way it is now finishing on top in your league and pairwise really benefits a team not very much. It is like they tried to take the bb model and extend it to hockey thinking it would make them more money. Don't expand, cut back. Top 8 teams with 1-4 having home ice, play a 2/3 series, with the winners going to the Frozen Four. The way it is now the bottom teams have to due to little to get to the semi-finals.