SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

So, according to your definition, neither UND nor Michigan nor Minnesota are great hockey programs. Minnesota won their last title a decade ago, and the others are longer ago.

I'm saying that until recently most Sioux fans felt superior to the Gophs and Michigan and took great delight in pointing out the Woog curse to Gopher fans. Not saying they aren't good programs, just saying that we used to be better than them. Any Sioux fan that has ever said the name Woog to a Gopher fan knows what I am talking about.

• Upvote 2

I'm saying that until recently most Sioux fans felt superior to the Gophs and Michigan and took great delight in pointing out the Woog curse to Gopher fans. Not saying they aren't good programs, just saying that we used to be better than them. Any Sioux fan that has ever said the name Woog to a Gopher fan knows what I am talking about.

So on one hand, you chide the Sioux for lack of titles in recent history...and on the other you poke fun at Minnesota over a guy who hasn't coached there in almost 15 years?

Having personally met Doug Woog several times, I can tell you that he has great respect for Fighting Sioux hockey. Hell, he was even gracious enough to sign my son's Sioux jersey, laughing as he wrote his name, saying "I gotta be honest...I don't sign many of THESE".

So on one hand, you chide the Sioux for lack of titles in recent history...and on the other you poke fun at Minnesota over a guy who hasn't coached there in almost 15 years?

Yes I am - when you are a fan of the team that brought home the titles while your rivals did not and now you don't it's a hard adjustment.

And I never believed that Woog was a bad coach because he didn't win a national title. The weak seasons at the end of his run were more of a factor in him being replaced than the run of not winning titles in my mind. I never thought that UND was significantly better than either Michigan or Minnesota as a program, other than the fact that UND was my favorite. I knew that it was probably going to be a close game when UND played either one. All 3 schools normally had a lot of talented players. Which one was better depended on the season, and usually didn't matter a whole lot when the teams met on the ice.

And I never believed that Woog was a bad coach because he didn't win a national title. The weak seasons at the end of his run were more of a factor in him being replaced than the run of not winning titles in my mind. I never thought that UND was significantly better than either Michigan or Minnesota as a program, other than the fact that UND was my favorite. I knew that it was probably going to be a close game when UND played either one. All 3 schools normally had a lot of talented players. Which one was better depended on the season, and usually didn't matter a whole lot when the teams met on the ice.

Except we won it all and they didn't - In my book a huge difference

Yes I am - when you are a fan of the team that brought home the titles while your rivals did not and now you don't it's a hard adjustment.

I find it much harder to tease Gopher fans about their lack of NCAA title success under Woog since they went back-to-back under Lucia.

Sucks to start to follow UND HOCKEY in the "golden days" (championships). 2000. I got spoiled. And the simple point is I don't really buy the parity issue.

I started following UND hockey in the early 1970s, listening to games on the radio. They played in 3 national title games during the 4 years I was in school at UND, winning 2 out of the 3. I've watched them go up and down more than once, and watched them win 5 national titles. It all goes in cycles. And whether you believe it or not, there are more talented hockey players in college hockey right now than there ever have been in the past. American players don't just come from a few states along the Canadian border any more. There are college hockey players from California, Arizona, Nevada, Missouri, Georgia, North Carolina and a lot of other states that didn't have hockey 10 or 15 years ago. That is a big reason for the increased parity in college hockey.

Except we won it all and they didn't - In my book a huge difference

Michigan 96 and 98...Minnesota 02 and 03...what time frame are you referring to since UND's last titles were smack-dab in between those years?

Michigan 96 and 98...Minnesota 02 and 03...what time frame are you referring to since UND's last titles were smack-dab in between those years?

My time frame is 80-2000 - this is a time when we were the best program in college hockey - count em 5 titles. While others won some, we were a force for 20 years.

• Upvote 1

My time frame is 80-2000 - this is a time when we were the best program in college hockey - count em 5 titles. While others won some, we were a force for 20 years.

Your point was Michigan and Minnesota won nothing, which is not correct. And if you make your time frame 1975-2005, suddenly Minnesota is a player.

And with the new ralph after back to back title game appearances. Expectations were sky high!!! Much more than 0.

• Upvote 1

And with the new ralph after back to back title game appearances. Expectations were sky high!!! Much more than 0.

So with that logic, the Miami Marlins should win the World Series, right? After all, they have a new stadium...

So with that logic, the Miami Marlins should win the World Series, right? After all, they have a new stadium...

I've enjoyed our conversation tonight, but this is the dumbest thing I have heard tonight. We were the best team in the country moving into a state of the art stadium. How does that relate to the Marlins in any way.

• Upvote 1

What's the World Series?

Not sure, but expectations were probably high if they got got off back to back title game appearances and had the nicest arena of any other team.

Your point was Michigan and Minnesota won nothing, which is not correct. And if you make your time frame 1975-2005, suddenly Minnesota is a player.

If you want to cherry pick time periods, how about 1973-1990 when Wisconsin won 5 (or 4 in 11 years from 1973-1983 or 6 in 24 years from 1973-2006). Wisconsin should be on the list. They have won more than Minnesota and more recently than Michigan, Minnesota or North Dakota.