SiouxSports.com Forum

2013 Early Departures

AZSIOUX

Maybe and no on those 2

Merrill and trouba such good players. Trouba is probably NHL ready!

Trouba will probably play with the Jets this year if he signs. I would be surprised if Simpson signed. I think Forbs is the Wild Card.

If Forbort is sick of school, he'll sign for the money. He'd be really dumb to sign though in the off-season. He needs another year to round out his game and establish himself. He won't be cracking the Kings lineup anytime soon. He'll more or less be in the AHL for quite sometime.

Might as well come back nexy year, play on another good UND team and build some confidence and produce offensively while tightening his defensive game.

• Upvote 1

let's not worry about that for a few more weeks. ;)

Not worried ... just curious. We have some strong players that should be returning, but no one to the caliber of Oshie, Toews, Nelson that I can see really being an early departure threat. Sure wish we still had Nelson about now, Dell too!

If Forbort is sick of school, he'll sign for the money. He'd be really dumb to sign though in the off-season. He needs another year to round out his game and establish himself. He won't be cracking the Kings lineup anytime soon. He'll more or less be in the AHL for quite sometime.

Might as well come back nexy year, play on another good UND team and build some confidence and produce offensively while tightening his defensive game.

That might be best for him, but if you are the Kings and think he is a viable prospect with a good future, do you let him finish out his senior season and open up the possibility of him becoming a free agent?

That might be best for him, but if you are the Kings and think he is a viable prospect with a good future, do you let him finish out his senior season and open up the possibility of him becoming a free agent?

Its not the Kings' decision though. Forbort can do whatever he thinks is best for himself. I am sure the Kings will try and influence it to what they think is best, but ultimately its Forbort's call. I personally don't think it is worth it to jump early and spend a long time in the AHL. But each player is different and has his own needs and goals. I can't imagine how difficult the decision must be. What with college people pulling for him to stay in college, Kings trying to get him signed for any number of reasons (they think he'll develop better in their system, they are afraid of losing him after he graduates, etc.), other NHL sources telling him other stuff, family pressures and friends too plus ex Sioux players saying their stuff. I wish the best for everyone who is trying to make that decision this year.

Any thoughts on Forbort or Simpson leaving this year?

I think there may have been a hint in the through these doors before senior weekend. One of the seniors said that Forbort had been hanging out with them a lot. I would put it at 60/40 he is going to sign

Its not the Kings' decision though. Forbort can do whatever he thinks is best for himself. I am sure the Kings will try and influence it to what they think is best, but ultimately its Forbort's call. I personally don't think it is worth it to jump early and spend a long time in the AHL. But each player is different and has his own needs and goals. I can't imagine how difficult the decision must be. What with college people pulling for him to stay in college, Kings trying to get him signed for any number of reasons (they think he'll develop better in their system, they are afraid of losing him after he graduates, etc.), other NHL sources telling him other stuff, family pressures and friends too plus ex Sioux players saying their stuff. I wish the best for everyone who is trying to make that decision this year.

and every ex-sioux player says STAY! i would think those words coming from ex players carry more weight than anyone else's.

Johnny CASH's word carries the most weight.

And that cash differential between being in the AHL and the NHL is astronomical. Say you get a max rookie deal if you are Forbert...so that's what about $280k to sign, which after paying taxes and your agent is really like $100k. Then you make $70k per in the AHL...now this isn't terrible, but at the same time, it isn't great either, considering it has a short life. What do you do when you're done??

And that cash differential between being in the AHL and the NHL is astronomical. Say you get a max rookie deal if you are Forbert...so that's what about $280k to sign, which after paying taxes and your agent is really like $100k. Then you make $70k per in the AHL...now this isn't terrible, but at the same time, it isn't great either, considering it has a short life. What do you do when you're done??

Go back to your college town and sell insurance, or open a restaurant? Assuming that you stayed all four years and brought home some quality team hardware during your career . . . . Most of these kids are never going to sniff the NHL. Sure, the AHL is fine. Not as fine as selling insurance in the town where you were once king.

I think there may have been a hint in the through these doors before senior weekend. One of the seniors said that Forbort had been hanging out with them a lot. I would put it at 60/40 he is going to sign

what difference would it make if he hung out with them alot in him signing? if anything they might tell him to stay, just as they did.

Go back to your college town and sell insurance, or open a restaurant? Assuming that you stayed all four years and brought home some quality team hardware during your career . . . . Most of these kids are never going to sniff the NHL. Sure, the AHL is fine. Not as fine as selling insurance in the town where you were once king.

I was thinking early departure so no degree.

I agree that there are worse fates than what you describe...again that usually requires the piece of paper on the insurance side or investments side. Restaurants are the singular lowest probability of success entrepreneurial ventures, so that probably is rolling the dice...

Seems like Bjugstad, Haula and Schmidt are all but gone from Minnesota. Lucia also said Nashville wants to sign Budish but Budish said he was staying. So I guess we'll see how that one goes..

Have all three signed already, or just speculation still?

Have all three signed already, or just speculation still?

On Lucia's radio show tonight he said that for those three "the decision is up to them." And then he mentioned the Budish thing. Haula is probably the most gone actually. The Wild want to sign him and if they don't they lose his rights. After their last home game when the team went to the locker room Haula came back out and saluted the crowd that was still there and started signing autographs and stuff for kids too. Schmidt will more than likely get a maximum contract offer from someone since he's an undrafted free agent. Florida sucks again, so I'm sure they'll want Bjugstad more now.

I'll be more surprised if any of them stay than if they leave.

On Lucia's radio show tonight he said that for those three "the decision is up to them." And then he mentioned the Budish thing. Haula is probably the most gone actually. The Wild want to sign him and if they don't they lose his rights. After their last home game when the team went to the locker room Haula came back out and saluted the crowd that was still there and started signing autographs and stuff for kids too. Schmidt will more than likely get a maximum contract offer from someone since he's an undrafted free agent. Florida sucks again, so I'm sure they'll want Bjugstad more now.

I'll be more surprised if any of them stay than if they leave.

The Wild only lose Haula's rights if he withdraws from school and waits until July 1 to become a free agent. If he stays in school, the Wild retain his rights just like Montreal with Kristo this year.

Seems like Bjugstad, Haula and Schmidt are all but gone from Minnesota.

Yikes. So much for the great expectations of this season and next season for Minnesota. If everyone for Minny came back next year, wow...that team would be absolutely LOADED.