SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. BEMIDJI STATE - Saturday SENIOR NIGHT

AZSIOUX

I thought the boys worked very hard last night and played well overall. The second Beaver goal was not a softie and it wasn't a fluke--just a good sensible decision on the blue line by their D and a good tip. We didn't finish some of the good chances we had and came up with a tie. Had they scored on the breakaway, we'd all be feeling a deeper shade of blue.

I love Rocco. Dynamic player and generous with the puck now too. Great vision. Sometimes he dishes the puck so quickly others aren't quite ready. He's not ready to go up the ladder, though. Rubbed out on the boards too easily to be ready to deal with the big boys. Not that he isn't physical and intense--he just has to develop some techniques, I guess. Some of you more experienced hockey experts here will have a better assessment of that. He'll have to be a Kane-type player, relying on his quickness and vision. The Kane who is playiing this year and showing more defensive responsibility.

I love that so many teams are in the mix going into the last weekend of the soon-to-be old WCHA. It's been such a pleasure being in this conference. They better do a tribute of some kind at the Fin Five.

Felt better yesterday when the team had control of its own destiny for second place. Now they do not; it's now 3rd place. IMO the first place team will end up in St. Paul, but not all of 2 through 6 will.

Slept on it, and I still feel the same. Efforts like what happened against SCSU and Holy Cross are unacceptable. That isn't what happened last night. Many here have played the game in some fashion and playing a team like Bemidji isn't easy when they are playing their systems well.

You can't carry the puck in with any speed, you have to dump it hard or soft enough so the goaltender can't play it for their defense. If they get the puck first they chip it out, and its try again. If you get it you wear a guy around the zone and try to get the puck to the net with five guys stacked below the circles after they collapse. And of course when Bemidji is breaking every obstruction rule in college hockey it makes it that much easier.

Ohh, add to that a goaltender that played pretty well. I'll take the point in that scenario.

I think they'll win one game in the NCAA's and lose on a poor effort. I had real high hopes at the start of the season but this team comes to play very infrequently. They can hang with any team in the country....but they could always lose to any team in the country too. Watch, next weekend BSU won't come within 3 goals either night to the Goofs....at home. We had a chance to win the Cup and now it's almost 0% as MN will sweep BSU (bad). It's lapses like the Sioux have that will cost them a Nat'l title. They have the talent to win one....but no way they will. Not sure what the problem is....their loaded with talent.

Slept on it, and I still feel the same. Efforts like what happened against SCSU and Holy Cross are unacceptable. That isn't what happened last night. Many here have played the game in some fashion and playing a team like Bemidji isn't easy when they are playing their systems well.

You can't carry the puck in with any speed, you have to dump it hard or soft enough so the goaltender can't play it for their defense. If they get the puck first they chip it out, and its try again. If you get it you wear a guy around the zone and try to get the puck to the net with five guys stacked below the circles after they collapse. And of course when Bemidji is breaking every obstruction rule in college hockey it makes it that much easier.

Ohh, add to that a goaltender that played pretty well. I'll take the point in that scenario.

Sorry I don't agree with you whatsoever....check out what happens to BSU next weekend. The Sioux laid down at one of the most important times of the season to one of the worst teams in the country (edit: at home).

• Upvote 1

I think they'll win one game in the NCAA's and lose on a poor effort. I had real high hopes at the start of the season but this team comes to play very infrequently. They can hang with any team in the country....but they could always lose to any team in the country too. Watch, next weekend BSU won't come within 3 goals either night to the Goofs....at home. We had a chance to win the Cup and now it's almost 0% as MN will sweep BSU (bad). It's lapses like the Sioux have that will cost them a Nat'l title. They have the talent to win one....but no way they will. Not sure what the problem is....their loaded with talent.

Minnesota may very well swep BSU but if we sweep Mankato we would still be tied and in terms of the cup I believe there are no tiebreakers and the cup would just be shared. If I remember right the tiebreakers only apply for the seeding purposes and not to determine a champion. Wisconsin needs to take at least 2pts from St.Cloud for anyone else to get a share of the cup.

Minnesota may very well swep BSU but if we sweep Mankato we would still be tied and in terms of the cup I believe there are no tiebreakers and the cup would just be shared. If I remember right the tiebreakers only apply for the seeding purposes and not to determine a champion. Wisconsin needs to take at least 2pts from St.Cloud for anyone else to get a share of the cup.

Really? That is surprising. I would be pissed if I were the Goofs.

Really? That is surprising. I would be pissed if I were the Goofs.

Why is that? UND was swept at CC on the last weekend of the 1997 season and Minnesota swept to earn a share of the MacNaughton Cup. Both teams have 1997 WCHA Champions banners hanging from their rafters. What's there to be 'pissed' about?

You're probably right.

Why is that? UND was swept at CC on the last weekend of the 1997 season and Minnesota swept to earn a share of the MacNaughton Cup. Both teams have 1997 WCHA Champions banners hanging from their rafters. What's there to be 'pissed' about?

Look at these guys coming out of the wood works.

Sorry I don't agree with you whatsoever....check out what happens to BSU next weekend. The Sioux laid down at one of the most important times of the season to one of the worst teams in the country (edit: at home).

We will have to agree to disagree. The effort was there. Coach serratore said it best. Look at both benches at the end of the game. They were gassed. They should beat that team 9 out of 10 times. But that's hockey.

Didn't bury their chances you bet. Laid down? Come on.

I agree with you on this. You simply have to beat teams like this at home. Ties aren't good enough. Losses are unacceptable. Bemidji State is a bad team this year. If their system works so well, how come they don't win more games? Because they are a bad hockey team and should have been swept this weekend in one of the toughest places for visiting teams to play. We were outworked and outplayed in the overtime period and should have lost. And yes, I know we had that flurry right before the horn went off, but before that, we were getting worked in the D zone and should thank God over and over that we didn't give up a goal.

Next weekend we are on the road against a much better team (Minnesota State) and if we aren't on top of our game, we risk sliding down to 5th or 6th place and having a much tougher road to St. Paul and beyond.

They can hang with any team in the country....but they could always lose to any team in the country too. Watch, next weekend BSU won't come within 3 goals either night to the Goofs....at home. We had a chance to win the Cup and now it's almost 0% as MN will sweep BSU (bad). It's lapses like the Sioux have that will cost them a Nat'l title. They have the talent to win one....but no way they will. Not sure what the problem is....their loaded with talent.

I differ from you as follows:

1. Any team can hang with and beat, or be beaten by, any team in the country.

2. I agree the chance to win the cup is almost 0.

3. I think the Gophers will take 4 from Bemidji, because, although Bemidji will pack the neutral zone and the front of the net, when the Gophers get through and Bemidji holds and takes down Gophers, they'll get the deserved PP's.

4. I didn't see major lapses last night, just a lot of effort, and lots of Bemidji tackles and stick take downs, uncalled.

It was Denver. I was at the ND State Hockey Tournament that Saturday night and I was in the hospitality room in the loft of the old Ralph. They used to have someone at the bottom of the stairs with a radio and a chalkboard with out-of-town scores of interest on it that he kept up-to-date. I also remember the Sioux women's BB team losing to NDSU that night. It wasn't a good night at all. But we all know where both of those teams ended the year.....ON TOP!!! :)

I agree with you on this. You simply have to beat teams like this at home. Ties aren't good enough. Losses are unacceptable. Bemidji State is a bad team this year. If their system works so well, how come they don't win more games? Because they are a bad hockey team and should have been swept this weekend in one of the toughest places for visiting teams to play. We were outworked and outplayed in the overtime period and should have lost. And yes, I know we had that flurry right before the horn went off, but before that, we were getting worked in the D zone and should thank God over and over that we didn't give up a goal.

Next weekend we are on the road against a much better team (Minnesota State) and if we aren't on top of our game, we risk sliding down to 5th or 6th place and having a much tougher road to St. Paul and beyond.

I'll agree with the OT getting worked for several minutes, wish they had tackled and used stick take downs to recover the puck, like was going on for the whole third period when the Sioux were working Bemidji

Bemidji's system keeps scoring low, they are not a skilled or very good team, just hard working. If they could have added holding and stick take downs to their game throughout the season and not get called, their record would be way better than it is.

And look at you with a SIOUX head for your avatar and being the most pessimistic, sarcastic, goofer supporting SIOUX "fan" here. Go back to GPL where you would fit in nicely.

As many have pointed out, good effort, average execution, and poor finishing led to 3 points. Time to move on to the purple cows.

As for your bitching and moaning about the nc$$ tourney, all you have to do is get in. Anything can happen from there. Just look at dull-uth two years ago. Written off, fans calling for Sandelins head due to a collapse toward the end of the regular season. They get in, reel off four straight, and raise the trophy. Yep we could be one and done, one win, and done, or win the whole effin things. Who knows? That's what makes this journey so awesome.

I for one will support this team all the way through, even if they fail again. I hate to lose, just like anyone else, and I have been known to bitch too. But your pretended support and backstabbing gets a little freakin old.

So there you go ; )

• Upvote 3

LOL. Don't take the cyanide pill just yet. Is Minnesota shutting down the season because they lost to Denver on Friday night? I suppose being ranked #1 and overwhelming NCAA favorite to win the title is the way to go, right? Just as the 97 Sioux...or 98 Michigan...or 06 Michigan State...or 11 UMD...

Oh, wait, you mean there STILL might be a chance for the Sioux THIS year?

And look at you with a SIOUX head for your avatar and being the most pessimistic, sarcastic, goofer supporting SIOUX "fan" here. Go back to GPL where you would fit in nicely.

As many have pointed out, good effort, average execution, and poor finishing led to 3 points. Time to move on to the purple cows.

As for your bitching and moaning about the nc$$ tourney, all you have to do is get in. Anything can happen from there. Just look at dull-uth two years ago. Written off, fans calling for Sandelins head due to a collapse toward the end of the regular season. They get in, reel off four straight, and raise the trophy. Yep we could be one and done, one win, and done, or win the whole effin things. Who knows? That's what makes this journey so awesome.

I for one will support this team all the way through, even if they fail again. I hate to lose, just like anyone else, and I have been known to bitch too. But your pretended support and backstabbing gets a little freakin old.

So there you go ; )

Very well said.

You said it better than I did. I am simply throwing out comments in disgust. BSU is terrible! Go check out their schedule and results.

• Upvote 1

LOL. Don't take the cyanide pill just yet. Is Minnesota shutting down the season because they lost to Denver on Friday night?

And people were giving Minnesota the WCHA and NCAA titles back in January because they had "the greatest goaltender in the world" and "we don't match up well with them" and blah, blah, blah. Sure, they are a top 3 team in the league this year, but they long ago shed their invincibility.

So there you go ; )

Haha...settle down I'm just pissed they tied such a terrible team. I'm not a MN fan.

So there you go ; )

He is just pointing out that struggling to tie Bemidji State at home is unacceptable at this point in the season. Calling a spade a spade doesn't mean you "aren't a real fan". Honestly, the "ducky and bunny, sunshine and smiles" syndrome that has infected our hockey (and football) programs is sickening.