SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

An NFL player just essentially got tossed from his team for a two-word tweet regarding the NFL draft. "Inappropriate"? "Racist?" Who determines that? Who do you think, Oxbow6? The academic "elite" who are here to enlighten all of us. If that doesn't work, I'm sure somewhere down the road, re-education camps will help do the job.

http://www.infowars....al-institution/

These types of people really do exist...and they're essentially half of the US population...

I love "smart" people................... :glare:

Maybe you guys are right...they couldn't POSSIBLY ban the wearing of Sioux hockey jerseys on campus or in REA. Next thing you know, you'll be telling me that kids in the US can't wear clothing with the American flag on it in AMERICAN schools...we all know that that's simply not going to happen ever, right?

http://www.nationalr...-andrew-johnson

Maybe you guys are right...they couldn't POSSIBLY ban the wearing of Sioux hockey jerseys on campus or in REA. Next thing you know, you'll be telling me that kids in the US can't wear clothing with the American flag on it in AMERICAN schools...we all know that that's simply not going to happen ever, right?

http://www.nationalr...-andrew-johnson

So this is suppose to make sense yet just read where a Muslim collegiate wrestler was granted an exception to have faical hair because having him remove it per NCAA policy would violate his religious freedom.

Now it is all making sense.........................

Whether UND has the right to prevent entry to a UND function based on what a person is wearing (or not wearing) is a different issue than UND punishing students for what they wear. If kids wearing these shirts would have been denied entry to a UND event, I don't think anyone would argue about it. But punishing them after-the-fact (by suspension, expulsion, or re-education) is an entirely different manner. Regardless of whether these kids are UND students or where the pictures were taken, I don't think UND - as a public institution - should have a right to punish them. Nobody even seems to acknowledge anymore that, in a free society, the government has no business punishing people for wearing distasteful or offensive clothing. The remedy for this kind of speech is more speech -- and there has been plenty of that. That should be the end of it.

• Upvote 2

So this is suppose to make sense yet just read where a Muslim collegiate wrestler was granted an exception to have faical hair because having him remove it per NCAA policy would violate his religious freedom.

Now it is all making sense.........................

Oh, come on, Oxbow6, if this kid were Amish, I'm sure the same exemption would have been granted...

Yea...that's sarcasm. We all know that that Amish kid would be shaving his beard quicker than you can say "Norelco."

Oh, come on, Oxbow6, if this kid were Amish, I'm sure the same exemption would have been granted...

Yea...that's sarcasm. We all know that that Amish kid would be shaving his beard quicker than you can say "Norelco."

I seriously doubt that, but let's stick to the issue at hand.

While I think it is extremely unlikely that Fighting Sioux gear will be banned from UND sanctioned events, it is important for us to remain vigilant and aware of the situation. If we sense that it is being considered, that is our cue to write letters or e-mails to Kelley, Faison and REA and inform them what will happen if they do that. Until then, let's just wait and see if something happens.

• Upvote 1

I seriously doubt that, but let's stick to the issue at hand.

While I think it is extremely unlikely that Fighting Sioux gear will be banned from UND sanctioned events, it is important for us to remain vigilant and aware of the situation. If we sense that it is being considered, that is our cue to write letters or e-mails to Kelley, Faison and REA and inform them what will happen if they do that. Until then, let's just wait and see if something happens.

Yes, let's wait and see if something happens, then when the hammer drops, we'll try to get UND to back-pedal.

No MafiaMan, there will be hints and signals that will alert us before it happens. That is when we strike. :devil:

While I'd like to say you're right, I think you under-estimate the extreme PC zealots of this country who seek to "fundamentally change" it. Sounds familiar...but I just can't put my finger on where I've heard that expression before...

Knew I shouldn't have put so much trust in the Herald to get things right:

That’s why it’s so appalling to see a crowd of what appear to be UND students

From what has been told here, that does not appear to be the case.

Photos that appeared to be taken at Saturday’s Springfest festival in Grand Forks showed young people wearing the T-shirts

Pictures definitely weren't taken at the park and the people in question claim the shirts weren't worn to the park

And no mention that UND has no control of or relation to the event, therefore no standing to do anything about it. Not excusing the kids for a monumental lack in judgment, but if you are going to sit and criticize the situation, have your facts straight.

Knew I shouldn't have put so much trust in the Herald to get things right:

From what has been told here, that does not appear to be the case.

Pictures definitely weren't taken at the park and the people in question claim the shirts weren't worn to the park

And no mention that UND has no control of or relation to the event, therefore no standing to do anything about it. Not excusing the kids for a monumental lack in judgment, but if you are going to sit and criticize the situation, have your facts straight.

Did Ed Schultz guest write that piece for the Herald? ;) He always "solid" with his facts.....................

Any chance he gets wind of this situation and runs with it on his TV show...with the help of Sharpton of course?

Photos that appeared to be taken at Saturday’s Springfest festival in Grand Forks showed young people wearing the T-shirts...

There's the "out"...they "appeared to be" taken there. Oh wait, they weren't taken there? Cue the page 17 one-sentence correction typed in a font size about like this seven weeks from now...

I know for a fact that 8 of them aren't UND students. There might only be one that's actually a student at UND to be honest. I just don't know if there's anything UND can do. They can try kick the one out of school, but I have a feeling it would be a fairly easy legal battle to put them right back in since this was done in their free time off of campus and technically didn't refer to UND at all.

Don't get me wrong, UND has to try and think of something more than just saying sorry, but I don't think there's a whole lot they can do in this situation. This is a tough spot for them, which is probably why they haven't released a statement yet.

Edit: I guess UND did release some sort of statement? I haven't seen it

If these guys aren't UND students, and this isn't a UND event, I don't know what they can do? An apology seems like the most they can do.

Check out this #siouxperdrunk Checking out the updates today, They're not giving up and they're still trying to pin this on UND. Even though it's not a UND event.

Someone put out the names on the UND facebook page too. What did I do? Checked the names in the directory. Every current student in is this directory Guess how many showed up as UND students? maybe 1.