SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

What's the University going to do though? They did nothing illegal, it was off campus and Spring Fest isn't a UND event. They didn't use a UND logo of any sort and basically none of them attend UND. I might be wrong, but I don't think UND can do much more than issue a statement basically saying sorry.

I agree with you on this one, GFG. What exactly does the University of North Dakota need to apologize for?

I don't know, I am not involved in this thing, but there's going to be a big push to take some kind of "meaningful" action against these students. Right or wrong, the shirts are tasteless and lack a bit sensibility. Death treats aren't cool either. This is just another incident that we don't need. Also, it seems like we've had more incidents like since the name was retired.

But @_RuthHopkins has 3000+ followers on Twitter and there's many major news people on this story right now. She's hitting it pretty hard, trying to pressure President Kelly to do something. They're going to keep the pressure on the UND President to do something. I don't know. I would tell your friends to lay low and stay off of social media for a while.

I know for a fact that 8 of them aren't UND students. There might only be one that's actually a student at UND to be honest. I just don't know if there's anything UND can do. They can try kick the one out of school, but I have a feeling it would be a fairly easy legal battle to put them right back in since this was done in their free time off of campus and technically didn't refer to UND at all.

Don't get me wrong, UND has to try and think of something more than just saying sorry, but I don't think there's a whole lot they can do in this situation. This is a tough spot for them, which is probably why they haven't released a statement yet.

Edit: I guess UND did release some sort of statement? I haven't seen it

What is UND going to do about it.. according to GFG none of them attend UND.

That's the thing, they've committed no crime... There's nothing UND can do. How do you punish someone for something they didn't do.

This isn't going to die down, there's a group of people that want the University of North Dakota to take action against the people that wore these shirts. Check out this #siouxperdrunk

I don't know, I am not involved in this thing, but there's going to be a big push to take some kind of "meaningful" action against these students. Right or wrong, the shirts are tasteless and lack a bit sensibility. Death treats aren't cool either. This is just another incident that we don't need. Also, it seems like we've had more incidents like since the name was retired.

But @_RuthHopkins has 3000+ followers on Twitter and there's many major news people on this story right now. She's hitting it pretty hard, trying to pressure President Kelly to do something. They're going to keep the pressure on the UND President to do something. I don't know. I would tell your friends to lay low and stay off of social media for a while.

Kelley already issued a statement and I think that his response is accurate. UND has no standing to act on this and could end opening themselves up to their own set of issue if they did.

I was appalled to learn this weekend that a group of individuals had the poor judgment and lack of awareness and understanding to create and then wear T-shirts that perpetuated a derogatory and harmful stereotype of American Indians. The message on the shirts demonstrated an unacceptable lack of sensitivity and a complete lack of respect for American Indians and all members of the community.

These T-shirts were not worn at a UND function -- in fact, the event they are associated with is NOT a university event. They don't appear to have been worn on UND property, and we are not aware that the group represents any UND organization. UND has a responsibility to promote respect and civility within the campus community, and we have the responsibility and right to speak out against hateful behavior. As a University, we teach respect for others. It is imperative that, through our actions, we demonstrate respect for all.

I want to remind students that the University Counseling Center is available for appointments at 777-2127(http://und.edu/healt...nseling-center/ ), and I want to remind faculty and staff that they can consult UND's Employee Assistance Plan (http://und.edu/finan...sources/eap.cfm ) as needed.

Robert O. Kelley, President

• Upvote 1

Don't get me wrong, UND has to try and think of something more than just saying sorry, but I don't think there's a whole lot they can do in this situation.

Again, what could UND do? This isn't a UND sponsored event. That's the thing, everyone is tying this to UND. This is in a city park in Grand Forks, and people come from all over the place to attend this. Maybe some of our site lawyers can fill us in on the details.

I know for a fact that 8 of them aren't UND students. There might only be one that's actually a student at UND to be honest. I just don't know if there's anything UND can do. They can try kick the one out of school, but I have a feeling it would be a fairly easy legal battle to put them right back in since this was done in their free time off of campus and technically didn't refer to UND at all.

Just curious if you're willing to share, what schools do the other 8 attend?

Just curious if you're willing to share, what schools do the other 8 attend?

I'd rather not share personal information, but I will tell you that this has nothing to do with trying to hurt UND's reputation if that's what you're thinking. Most of them are big UND fans, even the ones that attend school in Fargo.

Again, what could UND do? This isn't a UND sponsored event. That's the thing, everyone is tying this to UND. This is in a city park in Grand Forks, and people come from all over the place to attend this. Maybe some of our site lawyers can fill us in on the details.

That's exactly what I've been saying. The ONLY reason this is connected to UND is because the author that decided to fan the fire had zero concept of what she was talking about other than her facts used about Native Americans. She put the blame on UND, saying "faculty and staff" should have stopped the students. Her article made it seem like this was 100% a UND function if you read it. She had no idea about anything other than the picture she saw, she just wanted to fuel a fire and the picture is what she needed to do it.

I am convinced that there will now be a push to ban Fighting Sioux apparel at UND sanctioned sporting events. This is the perfect incident to exploit to try to make this happen and UND will want to do something to take the heat off. And I will tell everyone right now that I will not stop wearing my custom-made, authentic Fighting Sioux hockey jerseys (green, white and black). And if that means no longer attending UND-sanctioned sporting events, then so be it.

Remain vigilant everybody. :glare:

• Upvote 2

I am convinced that there will now be a push to ban Fighting Sioux apparel at UND sanctioned sporting events.

They wouldn't dare. They can't... They would start losing season ticket and revenue. Can you imagine how many people would be turned off.

• Upvote 1

I'd rather not share personal information, but I will tell you that this has nothing to do with trying to hurt UND's reputation if that's what you're thinking. Most of them are big UND fans, even the ones that attend school in Fargo.

That's exactly what I've been saying. The ONLY reason this is connected to UND is because the author that decided to fan the fire had zero concept of what she was talking about other than her facts used about Native Americans. She put the blame on UND, saying "faculty and staff" should have stopped the students. Her article made it seem like this was 100% a UND function if you read it. She had no idea about anything other than the picture she saw, she just wanted to fuel a fire and the picture is what she needed to do it.

Not really what I was alluding, just curious if they were from the area, but I see where you thought I was going.

I do agree with your second statement. That's fine to be outraged and express your opinion but basing your arguments on factually incorrect statements discredits and overshadows your message. Then again, counting on the media to fact-check things like UND's actual involvement might be a pipe dream so why not spin it in a way that makes it more sensational to the media.

Not really what I was alluding, just curious if they were from the area, but I see where you thought I was going.

I do agree with your second statement. That's fine to be outraged and express your opinion but basing your arguments on factually incorrect statements discredits and overshadows your message. Then again, counting on the media to fact-check things like UND's actual involvement might be a pipe dream so why not spin it in a way that makes it more sensational to the media.

Which is exactly what she did. Even with the tweets she showed, had she shown the full conversation it wouldn't have looked bad at all. She chose the single ones that by themselves looked bad, helping her argument to make a deal out of this. I can't get the other tweets since both accounts were deleted.

Saw this on fb....I swear some people aren't busy enough. I was just reading through the fb post and people are debating this vs that and I'm thinkng to myself, what is this world coming to? I swear, this country is more racially charged than any other time in my life (born in '84). Every other day it's race this and race that. I just can't remember a time in my life where the race card had been pulled more. People want chance, but this is making it worse. Those kids weren't trying to be racist.

I am convinced that there will now be a push to ban Fighting Sioux apparel at UND sanctioned sporting events. This is the perfect incident to exploit to try to make this happen and UND will want to do something to take the heat off. And I will tell everyone right now that I will not stop wearing my custom-made, authentic Fighting Sioux hockey jerseys (green, white and black). And if that means no longer attending UND-sanctioned sporting events, then so be it.

I more than agree with with you.

• Upvote 1

I agree with you. But Kelley and common sense are generally not used in the same sentence very often. I just think we should keep an eye on it.

That would be silly if he did that. First, legally he can't tell 10,000 they can't wear a Sioux jersey.

That would be silly if he did that. First, legally he can't tell 10,000 they can't wear a Sioux jersey.

And he was on record saying he will never tell ANYONE that you cannot wear Sioux stuff. I was at the meeting when he said that. It was the same one saying we will not go back to being flickertails.

I think this may kick start the new nickname process and choose a new one before the end of this year. The law states that UND cannot USE the name until 2015 but it doesn't state they can't pick one early. Anything they can use to distract these type of incidents Kelley will find a way.

I think this may kick start the new nickname process and choose a new one before the end of this year. The law states that UND cannot USE the name until 2015 but it doesn't state they can't pick one early. Anything they can use to distract these type of incidents Kelley will find a way.

Honestly, I think this would be a fantastic idea.

Honestly, I think this would be a fantastic idea.

I thought the cooling off period was a good idea if it prevented them (UND) from choosing a name just to fill a void, but if you discuss it for months and months you could get a good name. I think it's safe to say UND will never be allowed to go without a name, so might as well get the nickname process started.

Impossible. not gonna happen, totally uninforceable - the only thing UND can do is to use peer pressure by sending messages such as "We encourage everyone to support UND by wearing clothing that depicts the UND of the future" or something like that - I have already read similar language in UND communications to alumni.(although not much has been said about it, in fact just the opposite has been said in that they support everyone's right to wear what they want.)