SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. WISCONSIN - Saturday

AZSIOUX

I wouldn't be surprised if the league reviews the game and hands Mersch a one-game suspension for jumping off the bench to fight. It was clearly caught on camera. That being said, I guess I also wouldn't be that surprised if the league just totally ignored it, too.

Good, intense play all weekend. I also watched the conversation between Hak and Eaves after the game (streaming, not in person), and I got the distinct impression they (Hak particularly) were acknowledging the fact that this was the last game as conference foes. Can't tell for sure, but it was definitely not heated or overtly negative. Hak just seemed like he was saying a little extra, and Eaves did not seem at all bothered. He's an intense guy, and if Hak were confronting him, he would have reacted differently, IMO.

Reffing is what it is, and there is always something to complain about, but I really could not beleive Mac did not get called for a trip before the 4th goal.

The 3rd and 4th lines really forechecked well this weekend. All lines did, but they really stood out. Still some sloppy first passes by the D, but obviously a good weekend for them, and the forwards are starting to do their job in the d zone better also. Great weekend, but UW is not UM or SCSU (or UNO). They just aren't.

Real tough test coming up. Will be interesting to see if they can keep the intensity and stay out of the box. The PK won't be a free pass from here on in.

I did see that Wisconsin was very upset about a perceived missed call before Parks' goal to make it 3-0. Didn't see a replay, but it sure looked like a penalty at the time. I did see the ref motioning a dive to the Wisconsin player arguing vehemently about the missed call. I think it would be poetic justice if it was actually a penalty that was nullified by Wisconsin's penchant for diving. I guess you live by the sword, you die by the sword.

I did see that Wisconsin was very upset about a perceived missed call before Parks' goal to make it 3-0. Didn't see a replay, but it sure looked like a penalty at the time. I did see the ref motioning a dive to the Wisconsin player arguing vehemently about the missed call. I think it would be poetic justice if it was actually a penalty that was nullified by Wisconsin's penchant for diving. I guess you live by the sword, you die by the sword.

I was watching on DVR and went back and forth on that play and he likely would have gotten a hooking call if he had skated through the play. MacWilliam's stick was around the Wis player's waist and still went down like he was tripped. That probably led to the ref deciding that the Wis player dove.

I was watching on DVR and went back and forth on that play and he likely would have gotten a hooking call if he had skated through the play. MacWilliam's stick was around the Wis player's waist and still went down like he was tripped. That probably led to the ref deciding that the Wis player dove.

That's exactly what I saw too. It looked funky in real time and when I went back and watched it again it MacWilliam did have his stick and arm around the midsection but didn't appear to be grabbing him. It's the type of thing that could get called for holding but I think the fact that Mac's arm swung back out so quickly made it look like he wasn't really holding on to the guy. In the meantime, the guy went down like he'd been tripped (just like you said) not being tugged at in the midsection. Add to that he lost the handle on his stick just made it look that much more ridiculous.

I could see that getting called against MacWilliam, but just as easily I can see that being a non-call. Seems something should have been called, however, either a hold or a dive.

They dive and look to instigate then turtle...pathetic.

That 'yard sale' at the blue line from lil number 7 where he felt the tap of a stick on his shin and did a superman dive while tossing his equipment all over the ice was one of the worst dives I've ever seen in a hockey game. I thought I was watching Ecuador play soccer against England the way he flew through the air and turned into a rag doll on impact. Pathetic. And then the little punk decides to be a big man and chirp Jim and try and get physical..... Thankfully Jim reminded him what time it was and folded him up like a lawn chair.

The 4th line last night was worth the price of admission. Roswell was on beast mode all night long. When he threw that Badger over the goalie and then dropped another in that little front of the net skirmish, I knew they had broken Wisconsins will and the game was very much over.

• Upvote 1

How about if a player dives and squirms around like he is hurt call a delay of game. I know it would be subjective. But after a couple delays are called it would clear up the problem quickly. Or make a rule that if you are so hurt you have to go to the locker room and be checked over and can not return during that period.

That's exactly what I saw too. It looked funky in real time and when I went back and watched it again it MacWilliam did have his stick and arm around the midsection but didn't appear to be grabbing him. It's the type of thing that could get called for holding but I think the fact that Mac's arm swung back out so quickly made it look like he wasn't really holding on to the guy. In the meantime, the guy went down like he'd been tripped (just like you said) not being tugged at in the midsection. Add to that he lost the handle on his stick just made it look that much more ridiculous.

I could see that getting called against MacWilliam, but just as easily I can see that being a non-call. Seems something should have been called, however, either a hold or a dive.

Yeah, since Greg Sheppard is so concerned about diving, how 'bout telling your guys to start calling the diving penalties, and that might cause them to think twice before doing it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the league reviews the game and hands Mersch a one-game suspension for jumping off the bench to fight. It was clearly caught on camera. That being said, I guess I also wouldn't be that surprised if the league just totally ignored it, too.

Don't hold your breath. They didn't do anything to Hansen from the Gophs last year after he jumped off the bench and delivered a 2 hander to the back of Ben Blood's legs.

How about if a player dives and squirms around like he is hurt call a delay of game. I know it would be subjective. But after a couple delays are called it would clear up the problem quickly. Or make a rule that if you are so hurt you have to go to the locker room and be checked over and can not return during that period.

Nevermind the locker room, how about if you are so injured that you writhe around the ice in agony for 45 seconds after a hit that results in a penalty, you aren't allowed to immediately hop back on the ice for the ensuing power play?

Nevermind the locker room, how about if you are so injured that you writhe around the ice in agony for 45 seconds after a hit that results in a penalty, you aren't allowed to immediately hop back on the ice for the ensuing power play?

BUt really who would actually bu that?

There are no match penalties in college hockey. Leaving the bench during a altercation is a game disqualifiacation.

You would be correct.

Rule 6, Section 34.F reads as follows:

f. A player may not leave the players’ bench or penalty bench at any

time during an altercation. Substitutions made before the altercation

shall be permitted provided the players substituting do not enter the

altercation. For purposes of this rule, an altercation is considered to be

concluded when the referee enters the referee’s crease or, in the absence

of penalties, signals a faceoff location.

PENALTY—Disqualification.

Keys to success:

1. Scoring first and early. This allowed for an up-tempo game.

2. Switching Rocco and Danny left to right. Danny and "Bob" are a great tandem. If those two are keyed on, Rocco can create all by himself. I envision this line firing on all cylinders come playoffs.

3. Michael Parks. We need him to play like this the rest of the year.

4. The Rowney, Parks and Caggiula line- I really, really like this line

5. Easy Mac to the third line with Colton- even though Colton's night ended early, I liked what I saw. I think we are seeing that Easy Mac's style might be best suited other than on the top two lines...not a knock on his skill...this is a chemistry move

6. Tenacity out of the fourth line- that was a Sioux fourth line last night

7. Zane- other than one stupid move that cost us a goal, he played very well again. He was outstanding on Friday night.

8. Few defensive zone mistakes.

9. Gleason and Simpson jumping into the offensive play opportunistically.