SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Playoffs

Cratter

I think EWU would have scored more against NDSU because they can actually pass the ball effectively but their defense gave up points in bunches and NDSU would have scored a ton on them too...result would have been the same but the overall score would have been higher on both ends.

The GSU/NDSU game was one of the best in the tourney, if GSU would have had a kicker it could have went the other way.

I think EWU would have scored more against NDSU because they can actually pass the ball effectively but their defense gave up points in bunches and NDSU would have scored a ton on them too...result would have been the same but the overall score would have been higher on both ends.

The GSU/NDSU game was one of the best in the tourney, if GSU would have had a kicker it could have went the other way.

Greatest game in dome history many Bison fans speculate. I know it was the best game I have seen. No reason a DI team can't have a decent kicker.

When you say EWU would score more, are you saying more than SHSU?

Sure they had a good passing offense, but they were pretty darn one dimensional, and overall SHSU had the better offense statistically.

I just don't see them having much more success offensively than SHSU.

When you say EWU would score more, are you saying more than SHSU?

Sure they had a good passing offense, but they were pretty darn one dimensional, and overall SHSU had the better offense statistically.

I just don't see them having much more success offensively than SHSU.

I think they would have but that's just my opinion. NDSU seems built to stop the run and didn't play a legit passing team in the tournament, but SHSU threw for over 250 against them when they were forced to. EWU threw for almost 500 yards against SHSU and to me seemed better suited to move the ball against NDSU's stop-the-run-at-all-costs defense.

Maybe it would have ended exactly the same, but to me EWU would have had better options to deal with NDSU's defense. But EWU's defense was horrible so it wouldn't have mattered.

I'll be honest, I was nervous as heck watching ODU dismantle GSU the first part of that game until GSU stormed back.

Yeah that was a crazy game too, ODU had them buried and then gave them a shovel to dig out.

... if GSU would have had a kicker it could have went the other way.

No. If the the GSU receiver that got by Williams (with under two minutes to play) hadn't gone to ground to make the long catch it would've gone the other way. If he'd have just broken stride and made the catch on his feet he was more than likely gone for the six.

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda ...

Here is the only thing one needs to know about beating NDSU...if you can't get to 21 points with your offense however you want to do that and/or with the help of Jensen throwing a pick 6, you have basically have no shot to win the game.

No. If the the GSU receiver that got by Williams (with under two minutes to play) hadn't gone to ground to make the long catch it would've gone the other way. If he'd have just broken stride and made the catch on his feet he was more than likely gone for the six.

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda ...

IIRC it was underthrown a little, he had Williams beat by 3 yards and probably would have scored if it was layed out another couple yards.

But the whole soccer player kicking at the end was a crazy twist.

Here is the only thing one needs to know about beating NDSU...if you can't get to 21 points with your offense however you want to do that and/or with the help of Jensen throwing a pick 6, you have basically have no shot to win the game.

Fact. The most NDSU gave up all season was 21 to Northern Iowa (and that game was in the books early enough) and 20 to GSU. The defense was sick, and that's without 2 extremely good players for the playoffs. The biggest key is no one could get on top of them, and for the most part NDSU was content to grind out the clock as best they could. Even the loss, the Bison were driving and essentially in field goal range until Jensen through his 3rd INT.

I've said it on this forum before, UND needs to get back to that punishing defense and running game that gave them success in the 90s and before the transition.

But the whole soccer player kicking at the end was a crazy twist.

If as a coach you go the whole season with a kicker that can barely make a PAT much less a FG then you bring in a soccer player to kick in a handful of days before the biggest game of the year which is a playoff game...you got some explaining to do IMO.

If as a coach you go the whole season with a kicker that can barely make a PAT much less a FG then you bring in a soccer player to kick in a handful of days before the biggest game of the year which is a playoff game...you got some explaining to do IMO.

I've always wondered why southern teams seem to struggle with FG kickers, and it's not just at the FCS level as even some SEC teams seem to struggle with it.

Fact. The most NDSU gave up all season was 21 to Northern Iowa (and that game was in the books early enough) and 20 to GSU. The defense was sick, and that's without 2 extremely good players for the playoffs. The biggest key is no one could get on top of them, and for the most part NDSU was content to grind out the clock as best they could. Even the loss, the Bison were driving and essentially in field goal range until Jensen through his 3rd INT.

I've said it on this forum before, UND needs to get back to that punishing defense and running game that gave them success in the 90s and before the transition.

Offense sells tickets.....Defense wins Championships!!!

Offense sells tickets.....Defense wins Championships!!!

Ummmmm...you see a game at the Al this year?!?!? Plenty of tickets available every game. :sad:

Championships sell tickets!

I guess at least 1 voter isn't caught up in the definition of D-1 and gave the ac a top 25 vote.

http://sportsillustr.../ncaa/polls/ap/

There is one or two voters who give their 25th place vote (1 point) to the D-1AA/FCS champion in the final poll of the year every year since 2009. App State also recieved 5 points in the final 2007 poll. Pretty neat, but nothing new.

There is one or two voters who give their 25th place vote (1 point) to the D-1AA/FCS champion in the final poll of the year every year since 2009. App State also recieved 5 points in the final 2007 poll. Pretty neat, but nothing new.

I would have taken NDSU over someone like Vanderbilt.

Their losses were to South Carolina (#8), Northwestern (#17), Georgia (#5) and Florida (#9). I think you're understimating them a little bit.

Alabama lost to Texas A&M this season,while Texas A&M only beat Sam Houston State by 19, who got beat by NDSU by 26. Not saying NDSU would have a chance in hell against Alabama but they aren't as far apart as most people think.