SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Playoffs

Cratter

For the record, I am not trying to say NDSU is bad. They are very good. The statements that have been said are so over the top, blanket statements that leave absolutely no room for discussion in Bison06's mind. Personally, I think it would be a different world if NDSU would actually play an FBS team that is ranked in the Top 50 even of the Sagarin ratings, on a neutral field, in the middle of the year when it means something. But that is what message boards are for.

Why all this talk . . . why doesn't NDSU just schedule a game with a top 25 team? OH, they did . . . next Aug 31st at Kansas State. Fair enough? Are you expecting a blowout loss for NDSU?

Me . . .If it's more than 14, I'll be shocked. If K-State scores over 30, I'll be shocked.

Saying that Alabama represents the average FBS team is ludicris, even saying they repesent the average team in the top 25 is ludicris. They are in a league with only a select few in FBS football. Comparing Bama to B1G schools is just as scary as comparing them to a good FCS team.

As for Georgia Southern, if they showed up to to play gFU, Muss would be out of job by Monday, it would be that ugly. It would be better for und to not make the playoffs than to show up in GSU's bracket at your current performance level. GSU has size and strength match by very few in FCS.

Why all this talk . . . why doesn't NDSU just schedule a game with a top 25 team? OH, they did . . . next Aug 31st at Kansas State. Fair enough?

I see Kansas State is picked 7th in the Big 12 next year (out of 10 teams). Can you guys just admit/laugh about the the fact that Gene Taylor has the magic touch when it comes to scheduling FBS games? Its almost unbelievable how it works out. They go from Top 5 in the country to 7th in the Big 12 (out of 10 teams).

And when the game was scheduled, wasn't K State 5 & 7? (5th out of 6 in the Big 12 North)

Thank you for playing. Vanna, do you have a parting prize for our contestant?

At least NDSU is willing to win. May want to email faison about Mussman's lack of will to win.

Because winning is more important than teaching and implementing self-values, respect, and discipline? I agree Mussman has performed quite poorly when it comes to coaching and his on-the-field demeanor, but at least UND's football players are held to the same standards as any other athletic team at UND, which is an off-the-field victory in my own opinion. Although NDSU has had some great football seasons over the past years, there is no question that the player's actions and the subsequent disciplinary actions by the university have been questionable to say the least.

I'm not one to criticize NDSU for their on-the-field successes over the past couple of seasons because their teams are very talented and successfully coached; however, I do question their identity and values as an athletic department relative to UND. I for one believe if you do all the right things, success will eventually find you. Although NDSU may have the better football product right now, UND's conscientious approach to building DI athletics will eventually lead to top tier on-the-field football success, which is consistent long-term.

• Upvote 3

For every athletics department problem at NDSU the past ten years, you can also list an issue at UND. Happens everywhere, even SDSU. The fact that fans on this board think that every issue at NDSU is handled poorly while things are handled perfectly at UND, now thats a shocking development. It's good that you can smugly embelish every situation at NDSU, to provide shelter for a losing season.

For every athletics department problem at NDSU the past ten years, you can also list an issue at UND. Happens everywhere, even SDSU. The fact that fans on this board think that every issue at NDSU is handled poorly while things are handled perfectly at UND, now thats a shocking development. It's good that you can smugly embelish every situation at NDSU, to provide shelter for a losing season.

I get what you are saying but the guy who wrote the letter is some local politician from Minot. The facts were laid out accurately. UND has had it's share of issues but I challenge you to come up with one that went un-punished...

• Upvote 1

Because winning is more important than teaching and implementing self-values, respect, and discipline? I agree Mussman has performed quite poorly when it comes to coaching and his on-the-field demeanor, but at least UND's football players are held to the same standards as any other athletic team at UND, which is an off-the-field victory in my own opinion. Although NDSU has had some great football seasons over the past years, there is no question that the player's actions and the subsequent disciplinary actions by the university have been questionable to say the least.

I'm not one to criticize NDSU for their on-the-field successes over the past couple of seasons because their teams are very talented and successfully coached; however, I do question their identity and values as an athletic department relative to UND. I for one believe if you do all the right things, success will eventually find you. Although NDSU may have the better football product right now, UND's conscientious approach to building DI athletics will eventually lead to top tier on-the-field football success, which is consistent long-term.

If it makes you guys feel better to see NDSU as a dirty program, go ahead. None of you have any idea what goes on behind the scenes at NDSU, so you have no frame of reference to say what sort of things are a priority for coach Bohl and his staff to teach.

For those who say they wouldn't trade for NDSU's program right now because of the negative attention they have received, you are absolutely lying to yourselves.

Any one of your coaches would take it in a split second and so would the fans. Don't be childish and try to downplay what has been accomplished in Fargo, by chalking it up to "well anyone could do it if they had a dirty program". It just makes all of you sound jealous and pathetic.

I get what you are saying but the guy who wrote the letter is some local politician from Minot. The facts were laid out accurately. UND has had it's share of issues but I challenge you to come up with one that went un-punished...

Having the facts straight and coming to the correct conclusion are two separate things.

Someone on Bisonville did a simple search on the guy...and his family or found information someone else looked up. If true, this guy has some issues in house to be taking care of before even saying the letters "N D S U."

He's a UND alumn that has a bad case of jealousy.

If it makes you guys feel better to see NDSU as a dirty program, go ahead. None of you have any idea what goes on behind the scenes at NDSU, so you have no frame of reference to say what sort of things are a priority for coach Bohl and his staff to teach.

For those who say they wouldn't trade for NDSU's program right now because of the negative attention they have received, you are absolutely lying to yourselves.

Any one of your coaches would take it in a split second and so would the fans. Don't be childish and try to downplay what has been accomplished in Fargo, by chalking it up to "well anyone could do it if they had a dirty program". It just makes all of you sound jealous and pathetic.

Would our coaches/players/fans like to have the on the field successes that NDSU football/basketball has had in the last 5 years...of course. Winning National Championships in football, winning conference titles, and making the tournament is basketball should be our goal every year. That's not jealousy. That's what every school should try to do. But would I want the players at UND to be able to get away with a slap on the wrist to certain players when they break the law just for the benefit of the success of the team.... ABSOLUTELY NOT!!

• Upvote 1

I would expect nothing less in terms of the previous reactions by NDSU supporters. With that being said, I believe the issues regarding player behavior at NDSU have been more prevalent and significant than such issues at UND. For example, UND in my opinion has had no incidents in the past 10 years which compare to the Best Buy and signature forging incidents that occurred in Fargo. This is not an excuse for poor football performances as I have been critical over the past couple of seasons of the coaching and program leadership. With that being said, I do not believe NDSU's football program is greater than UND's program in all aspects.

If NDSU supporters wish to continually proclaim their overall dominance so be it; they are in a position as back-to-back champions where they can get away with that. However, such success will not last forever and UND's course of development allows them to consistently improve. In other words, NDSU won't be #1 forever and UND will not be a non-playoff contender forever, and it may happen sooner than NDSU fans want to think.

• Upvote 2

This reminds me of an old joke:

A guy goes into a bar and offers a woman sitting at the bar $10,000,000.00 to have sex with him. She thinks for a second and says, "Yes." So, the guy then offers her just $25 to have sex with him. She tells him, "Do you think I am a whore, someone with no morals?" to which he replies, "Well, we'd established that already so I figured I'd try to renegotiate the price."

At what price.

NDSU is trying desperately to cover the offseason problems as best they can, by winning championships. That takes the front page while what happened in the offseason takes the back seat...but if they start to lose and offseason crime by players continue, public forgiveness won't be there like it is now.

• Upvote 1

In other words, NDSU won't be #1 forever and UND will not be non-playoff contender forever, and it may happen sooner than NDSU fans want to think.

A little more than a decade ago UND was on top in DII WBB, DII FB, and DI MHockey.

Things always change and always will. Enjoy when you're on top while you are.

Would our coaches/players/fans like to have the on the field successes that NDSU football/basketball has had in the last 5 years...of course. Winning National Championships in football, winning conference titles, and making the tournament is basketball should be our goal every year. That's not jealousy. That's what every school should try to do. But would I want the players at UND to be able to get away with a slap on the wrist to certain players when they break the law just for the benefit of the success of the team.... ABSOLUTELY NOT!!

The legal system is the entity that gave the players a slap on the wrist, if you want to issue blame at least do it in the correct place.

NDSU is trying desperately to cover the offseason problems as best they can, by winning championships. That takes the front page while what happened in the offseason takes the back seat...but if they start to lose and offseason crime by players continue, public forgiveness won't be there like it is now.

lol, yeah that's why NDSU is winning championships. I would like to live just one day in your head darell, it seems like fun.

There was a terrorizing charge that was pretty bad at UND in recent memory.

lol, yeah that's why NDSU is winning championships. I would like to live just one day in your head darell, it seems like fun.

Truth hurts doesn't it. I don't see KVLY bringing it up or the Forum (remember this was just a letter not an actual story). But it was all over the news before the season began so it must have been big. So lets all wait to see what screw-ups they will do this offseason so we can do this all over again.