SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Playoffs

Cratter

So what do you suggest that rename Division 1 Football Championship Subdivision too? You can't call it D2 because that would put teams like UCONN, Villanova, NDSU, UND, Montana, etc in the same level as Augustana, Sioux Falls, and Minot State. You can't do that. So since you are so smart and have all the answers...what do you suggest they do??!!

I have already clearly stated that it should be called D-IAA again.

BTW, UCONN plays at the D-1 FBS level I believe in the Big East Conference. They would remain D-1.

What opponents of the FCS label fail to understand is the WHY behind the name change. They are un-educated on the topic so they turn to arguments like inferiority complex to make thier point.

The name change wasn't made for football, the name change was made for other sports.

I-A/I-AA/I-AAA were institutional designations, not football designations. This lead to I-A teams taking advantage of I-AA and I-AAA schools on the recruiting trail by suggesting or flat out saying they were a lesser institution to play sports for. eg. Purdue could say don't go play for Gonzaga, they are a I-AAA school.

We have been through this before so I don't feel the need to re-hash, but if anyone has a problem with the FCS name, your basketball coach certainly doesn't.

• Upvote 2

let's be clear about one thing one this. even in the so called major league level of FBS there are schools that will never play for a national championship even if they go unbeaten. so based upon your arguments unless your in a BCS conference anything you do is minor league? I will say this I would rather win a FCS championship than win the pinstripe, meineke car care bowl or whatever third rate bowl you want to name any day of the week.

What I find most ironic about the turn this discussion has taken, is that it seems to be the UND hockey crowd that is the most vocal here.

I doubt it would have much of an impact on UND's hockey due to tradition and UND's recruiting area, but this recruiting advantage that I-A schools had over I-AA schools in basketball, would have been used against UND hockey on the recruiting trail. You can bet on that.

You don't think Notre Dame or Michigan or Michigan State would have been calling UND a I-AA school when they are sitting on the recruits couch? You're delusional.

Might want to think twice about asking for the I-AA label back, because UND would be a I-AA institution, not an institution with a I-AA football team. That's why it was changed.

let's be clear about one thing one this. even in the so called major league level of FBS there are schools that will never play for a national championship even if they go unbeaten. so based upon your arguments unless your in a BCS conference anything you do is minor league? I will say this I would rather win a FCS championship than win the pinstripe, meineke car care bowl or whatever third rate bowl you want to name any day of the week.

I agree with this. UND should be in the division now known as FCS. I though they should have moved to D-IAA years ago. I would have liked to see the now defunct NCC move up. I just don't like the D-I designation without it's proper identification as a sub-division of college football. Nothing wrong with being in a sub-division, but to call it other than what it is is deceptive and wrong.

Many schools at the FBS level have no prayer of playing for a true Division I championship. I would venture to say that schools outside of about five or six conferences and Notre Dame may never see a true D-1 championship. Schools like weith programs like 'Bama, Nebraska, Florida, Michigan, Notre Dame, etc., are out of reach of most athletic department's budgets. it is mind blowing the money involved at that level.

But, to discount the sub-bowl games as being below any school's dignity is wrong. Schools at the lower end of the FBS see playing in a sub-bowl game as a goal a the beginning of the year for them. The schools at the lower end of the FBS have absolutely no desire to play in the FCS. If you don't believe me, watch how Idaho is desperately trying to avoid doing so. They prefer the sub-bowl to an FCS playoffs.

The brass ring achieved by some, like Boise State, Northern Illinois, is to jump up and play in a major bowl. For Boise State, it is put them on the edge of gaining a national championship. If there were an 8 team playoff, they would have a chance to prove if they belong with the big boys. But, the big boys are the big boys.

Tonight, the big boys play for the real D-I championship. 'Bama and the Irish. I'm pulling for the Irish, but I think 'Bama will win.

What I find most ironic about the turn this discussion has taken, is that it seems to be the UND hockey crowd that is the most vocal here.

I doubt it would have much of an impact on UND's hockey due to tradition and UND's recruiting area, but this recruiting advantage that I-A schools had over I-AA schools in basketball, would have been used against UND hockey on the recruiting trail. You can bet on that.

You don't think Notre Dame or Michigan or Michigan State would have been calling UND a I-AA school when they are sitting on the recruits couch? You're delusional.

Might want to think twice about asking for the I-AA label back, because UND would be a I-AA institution, not an institution with a I-AA football team. That's why it was changed.

So, instead they can substitute "FCS" for "I-AA"? There is no difference in the level of competition. The student athletes aren't stupid. They know.

However, it is deceptive to the general public. "Living a lie" as Lou Holtz used to say. It needs to be changed back.

We're talking about the organization called the NCAA.

Not the world.

Even if Canadian major junior hockey is at a higher level, it doesn't matter. In the world of the NCAA, Division I hockey is the highest level. The meaning is clear. There is no deception as with FBS/FCS/BCS, etc.

A clear standard is needed by the NCAA in the world of college football. Having two divisions called D-I is stupid. It's idiotic. It's moronic. It's retarded. It's imbecilic. But, it is the NCAA. What else should we expect?

There is a clear standard. One is the bowl division where teams play in bowl games. One is the championship division where teams play in a playoff championship tournement.

The Buffalo men's basketball team was and is a D-I varsity team, as defined by the NCAA. There is a clearly defined division for D-I in basketball. There are not two D-I divisions in basketball.

It is clearly defined. There isn't any confusion.

The fact is, FBS, FCS, BCS is all very confusing. It's time to go back to calling it D-I, D-IAA, D-II, D-III to have clearly defined divisions without confusion. Having two divisions of D-I in football is ridiculous.

When what is known now at the FBS division has playoffs, stating with the four team playoff and I would imagine expanding from there, it will become more confusing.

So you care whether NDSU is called the Division I FCS National Champions or the Division IAA National Champions? Anyone who gets confused when they turn on the tv and see NDSU vs. SHSU "FCS National Championship" and is wondering where Notre Dame and Alabama went is an idiot and deserves to be confused.

I have already clearly stated that it should be called D-IAA again.

BTW, UCONN plays at the D-1 FBS level I believe in the Big East Conference. They would remain D-1.

There is no such thing as D-1 . . . there is DI, DII, DIII. And yes Uconn is DI FBS, and roughly 50 spots below the Bison and many other DI FCS teams in the Sagarin ratings at 94. Spending more money on scholarships doesn't equate to better football, it means to spend more money. If you are going to compare DI FCS to Alabama, please don't stop there. Make sure you compare Alabama to 95% of the other DI FBS teams also where the gap is also immense. If you do that, you are suggesting that only about 10 teams belong in DI FBS football, and you would be ignorant.

So, instead they can substitute "FCS" for "I-AA"? There is no difference in the level of competition. The student athletes aren't stupid. They know.

However, it is deceptive to the general public. "Living a lie" as Lou Holtz used to say. It needs to be changed back.

Listen, I'm not working off conjecture here, this IS what happened. The reason FCS was implemented is because it actually has the word football in the title, meaning it is a football only designation, not an institutional designation.

Student athletes aren't stupid? Have you seen some of the interviews on ESPN? There are exceptions no doubt, but some of these guys wouldn't be in college if not for sports and will listen when people say things, even if they are half truths.

UNI is a great example of this, go over to panthernation and ask them what it was like for kids to look at them as second rate on the recruiting trail against Iowa and Iowa State. UNI is a better basketball program than both of those schools, why should they be at a disadvantage even if it is miniscule?

1. New Orleans Saint RB George Rogers when asked about the upcoming season:

"I want to rush for 1,000 or 1,500 yards, whichever comes first.."

2. Shelby Metcalf, basketball coach at Texas A&M, recounting what he told a player who received four F's and one D:

"Son, looks to me like you're spending too much time on one subject."

3. Torrin Polk, University of Houston receiver, on his coach, John Jenkins:

"He treat us like mens. He let us wear earrings."

4. Football commentator and former player Joe Theismann:

"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

5. Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach:

"You guys line up alphabetically by height.."

And,

"You guys pair up in groups of three, and then line up in a circle."

6. Senior basketball player at the University of Pittsburgh :

"I'm going to graduate on time, no matter how long it takes.."

(Now that is beautiful)

just kidding....... :bigsmile:

1. New Orleans Saint RB George Rogers when asked about the upcoming season:

"I want to rush for 1,000 or 1,500 yards, whichever comes first.."

2. Shelby Metcalf, basketball coach at Texas A&M, recounting what he told a player who received four F's and one D:

"Son, looks to me like you're spending too much time on one subject."

3. Torrin Polk, University of Houston receiver, on his coach, John Jenkins:

"He treat us like mens. He let us wear earrings."

4. Football commentator and former player Joe Theismann:

"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

5. Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach:

"You guys line up alphabetically by height.."

And,

"You guys pair up in groups of three, and then line up in a circle."

6. Senior basketball player at the University of Pittsburgh :

"I'm going to graduate on time, no matter how long it takes.."

(Now that is beautiful)

just kidding....... :bigsmile:

Those are funny.

However, these young men do know the difference between FCS and FBS. If they don't, the recruiters for the FBS schools will let them know. Just like back in the DI-AA days... Like I said, they just substitute "FCS" for "IAA" and tell them about it.

And boom goes the dynamite

Those are funny.

However, these young men do know the difference between FCS and FBS. If they don't, the recruiters for the FBS schools will let them know. Just like back in the DI-AA days... Like I said, they just substitute "FCS" for "IAA" and tell them about it.

Yeah I'm sure it's hard for you to follow how adding the word football to the name wouldn't change the BASKETBALL recruiting technique I outlined. smh.

Can this stupid debate, (admittedly caused by ignorant or just plain stupid UND fans) just end.

Who gives a flying f-bomb?

Its still a good accomplisment that i hope to celebrate w/ our team someday, instead of wanting to puke at the sign of bison fans.

Congrats to the herd.

Also, Herd fans, who gives a !@#$ if some idiot on siouxsports thinks it should be called, JV, division junior, 1 AA, Just let it go. Enjoy the win.

Especially this. The Bison fans have a strange obsession with patrolling numerous fan sites and correcting anything that they feel is wrong. I just don't get it. How many UND fans do this at Bisonville? I go over there on occasion but it's just to mess with them a bit. I don't start arguments about their misinformation, it's their board, they can do what they want. As BIGSIOUX said, who cares what an ignorant Sioux fan says on a "SIOUX MESSAGE" Board???

Holy Cross was ranked #20 in the nation in the latest poll. That was in D-1, real D-1. Face it, North Dakota is known as a hockey school Because they won 7, that is 7 national championships at the highest level of college hockey. That's real D-1. Not some faux D-1 like Moo U has won.

The fact is, the truth is, that the FCS championship calling itself "D-1" is a running joke. It should be called D-IAA like it was in the past. It's not the highest level of college football. But, winning it is an honor. But, it should be honored in the right context.

Just because you don't like to hear the truth doesn't mean we shouldn't speak the truth.

Now, continue go on how gay we are or whatever else you wish. It just says more about you than us.

You want TRUTH? REALLY! Ok, here it is...

How many teams in TOTAL play NCAA level hockey? As far as I see it even though UND has won at the highest level, it has also won at the lowest level. If hockey was ANYWHERE near as popular as football AS A WHOLE in this country and there were as many teams playing UND would be in the exact same league they are in with football now, call it D1AA or HCS or whatever.

Kinda sad that your schools team can't even compete with the JV as you like to call it while FU (I love this nickname btw, when people in Whioux jerseys ask who I cheer for I can honestly look them in the eye and say "F-U" and I believe this is acceptable, right?) is in control of it at the moment and likely will be for at least one more year. Driving through Kansas on the way back from the FCS National Championship we had numerous people tell us that they are looking forward to playing us next year and expect a tough close game when we play KSU..... you know the #5 team in the country this year on the "varsity" level. (And no, I'm NOT predicting a Bison win, but I won't rule it out)

Speaking of "Varsity Level" does that mean that Class B basketball in ND is JV as well? How about 9 man, Class A, Class AA high school football?

The fact is that I like hockey, love watching it... hell, I even cheer for UND hockey as I have some family ties to some former players on the team AND because I'm from North Dakota.

@ Hayduke: Congrats on not being able to compete w/ the JV teams.

As far as I see it even though UND has won at the highest level, it has also won at the lowest level. .

Uh, no. There's DI and DIII hockey in the NCAA. UND has never played DIII hockey.

If hockey was ANYWHERE near as popular as football AS A WHOLE in this country ...

... the country would be a better place, ... and probably a lot colder. (See: Canada, Russia, Scandenavian countries)

We're talking about the organization called the NCAA.

Not the world.

Even if Canadian major junior hockey is at a higher level, it doesn't matter. In the world of the NCAA, Division I hockey is the highest level. The meaning is clear. There is no deception as with FBS/FCS/BCS, etc.

A clear standard is needed by the NCAA in the world of college football. Having two divisions called D-I is stupid. It's idiotic. It's moronic. It's retarded. It's imbecilic. But, it is the NCAA. What else should we expect?

Just remember the old saying about hockey: It's not a Division 1 sport, but rather a 1 Division sport.

If there were 300 schools playing hockey, there would be multiple divisions, just like football.

I hope you don't keep bashing FCS football like this if we get to the playoffs. I've got my heart set on at least on playoff victory next year, and I'm going to pissed if, A: We don't get one, and B: people like you keep putting down our own program.

Edit: I see Sic says there is D3 hockey. Never realized that. Must really be down there with Club Hockey.

• Upvote 1

Just remember the old saying about hockey: It's not a Division 1 sport, but rather a 1 Division sport.

If there were 300 schools playing hockey, there would be multiple divisions, just like football.

I hope you don't keep bashing FCS football like this if we get to the playoffs. I've got my heart set on at least on playoff victory next year, and I'm going to pissed if, A: We don't get one, and B: people like you keep putting down our own program.

Edit: I see Sic says there is D3 hockey. Never realized that. Must really be down there with Club Hockey.

Outside of discrediting the name "D-I FCS football", saying that it is D-I In name only, point out where I have ever put specifically down UND football?

I hope they win a D-IAA championship very soon. I just don't like it called something it is not.

Uh, no. There's DI and DIII hockey in the NCAA. UND has never played DIII hockey.

... the country would be a better place, ... and probably a lot colder. (See: Canada, Russia, Scandenavian countries)

I stand corrected, thank you for pointing that out to me as I honestly had no idea there was a DIII hockey.... why don't they just call it DII though?

I hope they win a D-IAA championship very soon. I just don't like it called something it is not.

It is a Football Conference Subdivision Championship. D-1AA makes a lot less sense than that as at least FCS signifies what is going on and why the break in divisions and whatnot.

I knew more people that were confused about D-IAA than Division I FCS. Both indicate that they are Division One programs, however A vs AA is more confusing as in most cases (credit ratings, HS athletics, etc...) AA > A

I stand corrected, thank you for pointing that out to me as I honestly had no idea there was a DIII hockey.... why don't they just call it DII though?

To be honest, there were fewer and fewer teams in D-II hockey when it existed. Many moved up to D-I. (UND was always at D-I level..) They eliminated it and gave schools the option of D-I or D-III.