SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota vs. UAA - Friday Gameday

AZSIOUX

The power play was looking really good and moving the puck around like those great Gopher power play units of old but no one had balls enough to take a shot. Then later in the game the power play fell stagnant and it was pass..... wait..... pass.... wait..... repeat.

Gothberg looked good and then got frazzled late. The goal was not his fault.

Rocco is faaaast.

Zane had a great start. He is definitely promising.

Kristo is Kristo, what can you say?

Rowney's line did look good. Plenty of speed AND power, as well as some great teamwork and passing. Definitely dangerous.

Our D is the part that I worry about when facing stronger opponents, and I know, they are as solid as they get (NHL blah blah blah...) but I still worry. They did play the puck out far better this weekend, and were MUCH better on passing in the attacking zone.

Just got back from the game. Great all around effort. The thing that sticks out to me the most was when Kristo broke his stick at the point on the powerplay and the puck went to an AA player. Kristo played D with no stick and as the play got closer to Gothberg and the AA player shot Danny went down to block the shot in a 4-1 game. That impressed me the most tonight. Despite what some other folks may say the kid is a TEAM player. With that said I still don't like him there on the point on the powerplay.

• Upvote 1

Yes they still had mistakes, but I thought it was better than exhibition broadcasts.

That and thinking passes were just shots that went wide, Although that may be leftover from the high school girls basketball experience he has.

It was improved ......picture quality for me on multiple TVA, midco and FCS feed was terrible compared to the other college hockey game on FCS tonight.

Video was a little better tonite compared to the exhibitions...still a long way to go...Dan Hammer is not great but at least on every clearing attempt by the Sioux he doesn't say 'Cleared, but not out'...(trademark - Pat Sweeney)

Just got back from the game. Great all around effort. The thing that sticks out to me the most was when Kristo broke his stick at the point on the powerplay and the puck went to an AA player. Kristo played D with no stick and as the play got closer to Gothberg and the AA player shot Danny went down to block the shot in a 4-1 game. That impressed me the most tonight. Despite what some other folks may say the kid is a TEAM player. With that said I still don't like him there on the point on the powerplay.

Good points Shacker, I think that it's funny how Gopher fans still whine about Kristo's outburst after he was kicked out of the game against the Gophers. Kristo is becoming a more complete player and I think he's a good team player. He came back this season to help his team hang a banner.

Couple of things from last night. Throughout the first and most of the second, the team passed and skated better than a Sioux team has in a while. I think when this team was coming together, many of us thought it had the potential to be like some of the recent BC teams with their speed, skill, and quickness. Last night we got a glimpse of that. (I know, its AA, not UMinn, but still)

Grimaldi can really dish the puck quickly (and accurately)--he knows where people are. He can wait, like he did with the goal he set up, or he can move it without hesitation. This is impressive, with how little time he has had with linemates or real game conditions. He will be extremely disruptive, not only with his scoring ability but with his ability to set others up. A quarterback who can pass and run both.

Ultimately I think Rocco plays wing on top line even tho I liked his line alot last night. Parks coming back to Rowney's line moves Gaarder down a notch. Pair him up w O'Donnell and some one else to free up Rocco on top line.

The 4th line was very good. If Rodwell can find away to finish watch out.

Have never seen 6 Dman at UND as a group with the skill we have now.

Lst year how many freshies were thrown into the fire. The had to grow up quick now we see them play as (sophomores) but they are really juniors its no wide eyed rookies they know the program they know what the coaches expect and they know if they don't deliver they watch from the press box.

Couple of things from last night. Throughout the first and most of the second, the team passed and skated better than a Sioux team has in a while. I think when this team was coming together, many of us thought it had the potential to be like some of the recent BC teams with their speed, skill, and quickness. Last night we got a glimpse of that. (I know, its AA, not UMinn, but still)

Grimaldi can really dish the puck quickly (and accurately)--he knows where people are. He can wait, like he did with the goal he set up, or he can move it without hesitation. This is impressive, with how little time he has had with linemates or real game conditions. He will be extremely disruptive, not only with his scoring ability but with his ability to set others up. A quarterback who can pass and run both.

I think this game could have really been ugly if not for Kamal.

I think this game could have really been ugly if not for Kamal.

7-1 if Anchorage had average goaltending IMHO. Kamal will forever remain in my heart for his performance at Mariucci arena two years ago ensuring the gophers of not playing the Final Five.

Just as long as he keeps those kind of performances in Minnesota.

Ultimately I think Rocco plays wing on top line even tho I liked his line alot last night. Parks coming back to Rowney's line moves Gaarder down a notch. Pair him up w O'Donnell and some one else to free up Rocco on top line.

The 4th line was very good. If Rodwell can find away to finish watch out.

Have never seen 6 Dman at UND as a group with the skill we have now.

This D group has the chance to be something very special...fun to watch...the passing last night was very good...not great lots of good passes a millisecond behind but as things gel the potential is really amazing

Does Zane start in net tonight for game two? I was impressed with his play but I thought Saunders played better through exhibition? I hope we don't switch off every other game....

I think that Saunders will be playing tonight and is the starting goalie of this team right now.

Anybody else feel strangely calm and confident with our allegedly "unproven" goaltending tandem?

Between Gothberg and Saunders and our D-Corps, I'm getting really excited.

I know it's still October and it's just Anchorage, but there are a lot of good signs, in my opinion.

Agree w goaltenders. Clark is rock solid...like Dell

Zane's play reminds me of BE.

Wow has Forbort progressed a lot since last season.

He is very calm with the puck, makes great decisions, and seems to have worked on his shot from the point. Not only is he getting it to net, but he's finding the back of it plenty in the early going here (if you include the exhibition games).

I like what I'm seeing from our entire d-corps.

Agree w goaltenders. Clark is rock solid...like Dell

Zane's play reminds me of BE.

I was thinking of a way to characterize Zane last night, and I think you're pretty close. Got the job done, at times a bit shaky, but got the job done. Through the games they have both played I'd give the edge to Clark. But having two goaltenders game tested and ready to go at any time is a great thing.

PS: I don't think I'd mess with the Rowney line after what they've shown. Parks will make any line better, but if Rowney-Mac-Gaarder play like they played last night, thats a tough group to split apart.

Wow has Forbort progressed a lot since last season.

He is very calm with the puck, makes great decisions, and seems to have worked on his shot from the point. Not only is he getting it to net, but he's finding the back of it plenty in the early going here (if you include the exhibition games).

I like what I'm seeing from our entire d-corps.

I agree. I kept a pretty close eye on Forbort last night and he was almost mistake free for the 60 minutes. Now I am starting to see what the Kings saw in him when they drafted him. Making all the right decisions so far. His progress since he was a freshman has been nothing short of remarkable but we all expected this kind of play out of him. This D corp is a special group and our goalies I gotta believe appreciate it.

Last Saturday, I stayed up late and watched the Fairbanks game. Even though Hak said he was pleased with the effort at the time, he later admitted that the players were not getting to the hard areas and giving themselves a chance to finish plays.

Tonight they showed the kind of scrappy, fast, & tenacious play that will give them great success this season, if they keep that mentality. They deserved to win by a wide margin, and they did.

Anybody else feel strangely calm and confident with our allegedly "unproven" goaltending tandem?

Between Gothberg and Saunders and our D-Corps, I'm getting really excited.

I know it's still October and it's just Anchorage, but there are a lot of good signs, in my opinion.

If Gothberg catches fire at UND, I wonder if a group of students will start dressing Goth for the games.