SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-2013 Season

sioux24/7

Just a few key stats that stick out to me after 7 conference games............

North Dakota is:

• 2nd in FT%
  • Last in FG%
  • 7th in 3 point FG%
  • 3rd in defending 3 Pointers
  • Last in assists
  • 3rd in steals
  • 1st in offensive rebounding
  • 4th best in turnover margin
  • 5th in attendance

Individually:

• Huff is 2nd in scoring
    • Anderson is 3rd in scoring
    • Huff is 6th in rebounding
    • Schuler is 3rd in FT%
    • Anderson is 4th in FT%
    • Webb is 1st in steals
    • Huff is 2nd in steals
    • Anderson is 4th in 3 Point FG%

Seems like UND plays pretty solid defense, and takes care of the ball relatively speaking. Decent rebounding team, especially offensively. However, we've taken the 3rd most shots in the league and miss the most, so there are lots of rebounds to be had. The improvement in FT shooting has obviously been a huge key this year.

Looks like they worked a lot of Free Throws but not a lot of work done on Field Goals. Need to work on the FG's more and a little less on FT's.

Last in assists is not a good stat, usually translates into too much one-on-one or desperation shots which doesn't suggest good offensive flow.

Last in assists does say it all. It shows we don't pass the ball to the open man for a good shot and like you said we take a lot of desperation shots. However, last night I thought we improved on this a we had a good assist game. Coaches need to play this tape over and over and sink in to the players what the extra pass does do for us as a team.

So my question is, with 12 conference games to go, what will our conference record have to be in order to get the 3 seed in the tournament? I think Weber and Montana will have the top 2 seeds, but i think the key in "imaginary world" is you would like to have the 3 seed-to avoid the host team in the semi's. So what record will we need to get to, to get the 3 seed?

Based on how everyone is beating up on each other besides Weber and Montana 10-10 would be a good record for a 3 seed.

You may be right but it's so tight after Weber and Montana. 10-10 might be third place and 8-12 or even 9-11 might also be the final spot in the tournament. Right now we are in third at 4-4 and only 1 game back is a multiple tie for that 7th spot at 3-5, crazy finish we are in for. The way Weber and Montana barely won last night at home just getting into this tournament anyone has a chance to win it.

Huff named Big Sky co-Player of the Week...........

Link

Congratulations to Huff for the second time. I've been hard on Huff for quite sometime but this year so far he has played so much less selfish and has really played more for the team. He is scoring more points with the same amount or less shots than in years past and rebounding his butt off. He is the one player that can take this team to the next level as he continues to be more of a team player and gets everyone else involved. He has matured as a player and I am very happy and excited to see what the future brings for him and this team.

This group of juniors on the roster are now 7-33 all time on the road.

WOW, that record is really hard to figure out with this class and the reasons why. You look at these 5 juniors and you already have one 1000 point scorer and Anderson will also achieve this plateau this year. Webb will get to 1000 early next year and Schuler has a real good shot at 1000 also and if not for Brekke's injury he would have an outside shot next year. That would be a class of 5 in which everyone almost has scored or can score 1000 career points. It makes you shake your head cause the talent and scoring ability is definately there so what can it be. Obviously the home record is just about the opposite during the past 3 years. The bright side is they are undefeated on a neutral court in the year end conference tournaments but of course this year at some point it wont be neutral if they play the host school.

I wanted to pose this question about Brekke and his current situation. Lets say for whatever reason he cannot play the rest of the year (to me its starting to look more and more likely). Can UND be able to get a medical redshirt for Brekke, or has he played too much?

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I'm not sure that a sixth year of eligibility is allowed if the first redshirt year was voluntary. I believe a player has to lose two years to injury, but can't find the exact NCAA rule on it at the moment. Trying to navigate the NCAA rulebook is a nightmare.

That being said, if he was eligible, he would have had to play in under 30%* of the games and none of them after the halfway point. Brekke has played in 8 games so I think he would be OK there. I believe the same questions (having a non-injured redshirt year first) came up about Emmett Lynch during football, though he ended up being able to come back and play the last few games.

*Edit - The old rule was 20%

I wanted to pose this question about Brekke and his current situation. Lets say for whatever reason he cannot play the rest of the year (to me its starting to look more and more likely). Can UND be able to get a medical redshirt for Brekke, or has he played too much?

Even if you only count the 6 games he played significant minutes in, that's still 20% of the season. I'm guessing he would not be able to get a medical redshirt. Did he redshirt as a freshman or did he play right away? If he didn't redshirt originally I could see a higher probability but I still don't think it's likely.

Even if you only count the 6 games he played significant minutes in, that's still 20% of the season. I'm guessing he would not be able to get a medical redshirt. Did he redshirt as a freshman or did he play right away? If he didn't redshirt originally I could see a higher probability but I still don't think it's likely.

Brekke red shirted his first year along with Schuler.

WOW, that record is really hard to figure out with this class and the reasons why. You look at these 5 juniors and you already have one 1000 point scorer and Anderson will also achieve this plateau this year. Webb will get to 1000 early next year and Schuler has a real good shot at 1000 also and if not for Brekke's injury he would have an outside shot next year. That would be a class of 5 in which everyone almost has scored or can score 1000 career points. It makes you shake your head cause the talent and scoring ability is definately there so what can it be. Obviously the home record is just about the opposite during the past 3 years. The bright side is they are undefeated on a neutral court in the year end conference tournaments but of course this year at some point it wont be neutral if they play the host school.

You have to remember that, despite these kids having some talent, the reason they have scored so much is because they were better than the upperclassmen. They wouldn't have seen so many minutes if we had been able to recruit decent talent the couple of years before they arrived! To some degree, they have scored all these points by default! That is a bit harsh but it is fact!

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I'm not sure that a sixth year of eligibility is allowed if the first redshirt year was voluntary. I believe a player has to lose two years to injury, but can't find the exact NCAA rule on it at the moment. Trying to navigate the NCAA rulebook is a nightmare.

That being said, if he was eligible, he would have had to play in under 30%* of the games and none of them after the halfway point. Brekke has played in 8 games so I think he would be OK there. I believe the same questions (having a non-injured redshirt year first) came up about Emmett Lynch during football, though he ended up being able to come back and play the last few games.

*Edit - The old rule was 20%

With all the talk and discussion and concern on concussions it would be very poor form (but not surprising) if NCAA didn't grant med/6th year. If he doesn't come back.

With all the talk and discussion and concern on concussions it would be very poor form (but not surprising) if NCAA didn't grant med/6th year. If he doesn't come back.

From what I have heard Brekke may be playing this Saturday, so the talk of medical red-shirt will be over. Doubt if he's in very good shape to give very many minutes but whatever he can give will be a help down low.

From what I have heard Brekke may be playing this Saturday, so the talk of medical red-shirt will be over. Doubt if he's in very good shape to give very many minutes but whatever he can give will be a help down low.

That would be nice. We could really use him for the stretch run.

Brekke will transform the inside game if he can get back into game shape in another couple weeks.

I can't emphasize enough how impressed I am with Troy Huff this season. He has really grown as a player and improved in some key areas. In addition to the increased scoring output, he's doing it more efficiently as well. Last season he shot just 39% from the field and this year is shooting 45%. A career 63% free throw shooter, he's shooting 76% from the charity stripe this season. From beyond the 3 point arc, Huff was a career 26% shooter coming into this year and was an abysmal 19% last season. This season he's hitting at a 35% clip from 3 point land, and seems like he often hits them in critical situations.

And I've said a couple times this season, even when he is having an off night offensively, the kid works so hard defensively and on the boards. He just flat out hustles every game.

It is apparent that he put in alot of time in the offseason to improve his game and become a better player. Too bad he missed pretty much the entire non-conference slate of games. Several games could have potentially turned out differently had he been on the floor, specifically UMKC, SDSU, and Hawaii off the top of my head.............

• Upvote 3

I can't emphasize enough how impressed I am with Troy Huff this season. He has really grown as a player and improved in some key areas. In addition to the increased scoring output, he's doing it more efficiently as well. Last season he shot just 39% from the field and this year is shooting 45%. A career 63% free throw shooter, he's shooting 76% from the charity stripe this season. From beyond the 3 point arc, Huff was a career 26% shooter coming into this year and was an abysmal 19% last season. This season he's hitting at a 35% clip from 3 point land, and seems like he often hits them in critical situations.

And I've said a couple times this season, even when he is having an off night offensively, the kid works so hard defensively and on the boards. He just flat out hustles every game.

It is apparent that he put in alot of time in the offseason to improve his game and become a better player. Too bad he missed pretty much the entire non-conference slate of games. Several games could have potentially turned out differently had he been on the floor, specifically UMKC, SDSU, and Hawaii off the top of my head.............

Speaking of Huff, this SUU blogger has him as the Big Sky MVP so far: http://www.suunews.com/weblogs/monday-morning-quarterback/2013/jan/29/halfway-through-big-sky-play-heres-some-awards/