SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-2013 Season

sioux24/7

I don't know about Boschee's coaching/recruiting ability but he is an interesting prospect - one that would likely be well-accepted.

My observation: while Jones' seat may not be hot, I think it is rather warm!

I think maybe from the fan's perspective it is warm but I highly doubt Faison will fire him after the first season in the Big Sky.

I think maybe from the fan's perspective it is warm but I highly doubt Faison will fire him after the first season in the Big Sky.

I'm not going to judge Jones' performance so far, but he's currently 87-100 in year seven. And virtually the entire roster will turn over after next season. I believe there's a fair amount of pressure to do reasonably well this season.

I realize Coach Jones isn't on the hot seat or anything but if he ever is what do you guys think of Jeff Boschee as a replacement? Right now he is an assistant I believe at a D2 school in Missouri.

well that would be 6 or 7 years down the road assuming that Jeff moves into a head coaching job in the next 2 years and then has 3 or 4 years of success(20 win seasons, national tourney appearances at d2 level)....his older brother and UND alum Mike might be on a quicker track. Currently head coach at Bemidji State in his first year their taking over for a 22 win tournament team from last season.

well that would be 6 or 7 years down the road assuming that Jeff moves into a head coaching job in the next 2 years and then has 3 or 4 years of success(20 win seasons, national tourney appearances at d2 level)....his older brother and UND alum Mike might be on a quicker track. Currently head coach at Bemidji State in his first year their taking over for a 22 win tournament team from last season.

I could see that before Jeff. Maybe Jeff would come has Mike's assistant??

There's a little history there with BSU/UND coaches, at multiple sports.

I don't know about Boschee's coaching/recruiting ability but he is an interesting prospect - one that would likely be well-accepted.

My observation: while Jones' seat may not be hot, I think it is rather warm!

Jones brought in one of the best recruiting classes in school history. He will, at the very least, get the oppotunity to see this group of juniors graduate. If he doesn't make some noise with this group of guys, or leaves the cupboard dry once they're gone, then we can start talking hot seat.

Jones brought in one of the best recruiting classes in school history. He will, at the very least, get the oppotunity to see this group of juniors graduate. If he doesn't make some noise with this group of guys, or leaves the cupboard dry once they're gone, then we can start talking hot seat.

Has everyone already forgotten we have won back to back conference championships with mostly freshmen and sophomores. There is alot I wish were different but its way too early to be changing coaches. Now that we are finally in a real conference and have an oppourtunity for the NCAA's it should bring in even better talent down the road, case in point Hooker. He has brought in a really solid class(currently juniors) with nothing really to play for. Lets give this coach several more years to see what hapens. I still believe next year is going to be our big year.

I only brought this whole Boschee thing up because I saw a tweet he had and I wanted to figure out what he was doing now. So I found out he was an assistant coach so I thought it may be interesting if somewhere down the line he came in here to coach. I honestly do not think that Jones is anywhere close to the hot seat right now and I don't think its even warm. Like what was said above, he has won back-to-back conference championships with a young nucleus of players. Like WeAreNorthDakota said, I believe that he deserves to be here at least through the group of current juniors senior season.

Has everyone already forgotten we have won back to back conference championships with mostly freshmen and sophomores. There is alot I wish were different but its way too early to be changing coaches. Now that we are finally in a real conference and have an oppourtunity for the NCAA's it should bring in even better talent down the road, case in point Hooker. He has brought in a really solid class(currently juniors) with nothing really to play for. Lets give this coach several more years to see what hapens. I still believe next year is going to be our big year.

I don't think anybody is really arguing that Jones should go. But there's not really any getting around the fact that his future may depend on how this class performs the rest of this season, and next season. After next year, it's going to be an almost completely new team, and if Jones' career winning percentage is comparable to what it is now, that's probably not going to be good enough to extend his contract again IMO.

While I know that many may not be aware of UND basketball history, this group is far from the best class ever. It's been the best class in a while, but that's not saying much.

When Jackson was playing, there were less than 200 schools in DI. Southern Illinois, with its legendary player Walt Frazier, was UND's nemesis in the playoffs. Louisiana Tech was also a problem for UND. When UND played DI teams like Villanova then, UND beat them handily.

In the 70's under Gunther, current DI schools like Old Dominion and Tenn-Chattanooga were the problem teams in the playoffs. UND had quards on those teams that could actually shoot from outside and from the free throw line. If the 3-pt shot had been in place, the scoring would have been phenomenal. At that time and even in the 80's and 90's, DI recruiting was not nearly as thorough, with Minnesota talent hardly even looked at except by the Gophers.

Even in the early 90's, the Elite Eight team UND assembled would have easily out muscled and out shot this group. Jacobson and McDermott (as an assistant coach) were part of that group.

Jerome Beasley just from 7 or 8 years ago was a high 2nd round pick. UND has no where near his type of talent, but his team could have used quicker guards like we have now. Just since UND's last run in the DII Elite Eight, there has been nearly 100 DII teams move to DI.

The bottom 100 teams in DI are not that good, and DII used to be much better than it is now.

The old Fieldhouse (now Hyslop) used to be packed for conference games and absolutely rocked during conference and NCAA playoffs. With bench seating, people were packed into there like sardines (granted, the average person then would be considered a thin person now).

While I know that many may not be aware of UND basketball history, this group is far from the best class ever. It's been the best class in a while, but that's not saying much.

When Jackson was playing, there were less than 200 schools in DI. Southern Illinois, with its legendary player Walt Frazier, was UND's nemesis in the playoffs. Louisiana Tech was also a problem for UND. When UND played DI teams like Villanova then, UND beat them handily.

In the 70's under Gunther, current DI schools like Old Dominion and Tenn-Chattanooga were the problem teams in the playoffs. UND had quards on those teams that could actually shoot from outside and from the free throw line. If the 3-pt shot had been in place, the scoring would have been phenomenal. At that time and even in the 80's and 90's, DI recruiting was not nearly as thorough, with Minnesota talent hardly even looked at except by the Gophers.

Even in the early 90's, the Elite Eight team UND assembled would have easily out muscled and out shot this group. Jacobson and McDermott (as an assistant coach) were part of that group.

Jerome Beasley just from 7 or 8 years ago was a high 2nd round pick. UND has no where near his type of talent, but his team could have used quicker guards like we have now. Just since UND's last run in the DII Elite Eight, there has been nearly 100 DII teams move to DI.

The bottom 100 teams in DI are not that good, and DII used to be much better than it is now.

The old Fieldhouse (now Hyslop) used to be packed for conference games and absolutely rocked during conference and NCAA playoffs. With bench seating, people were packed into there like sardines (granted, the average person then would be considered a thin person now).

This may not be the best class ever but based on numbers alone its got to be very high. Remember, this was the highest scoring freshman class in the nation (d1) their freshman year. Third highest sophomore scoring class in the nation last year. There have only been 31 1,000 point scoreres in the history of UND and this 5 man class all have a chance at 1,000 points. Huff will surpass this mark this year and Anderson and Webb will be close. Schuler and Brekke have an excellent shot at it with a good junior and senior year. That would be un heard of to have an entire recruiting class exceed 1,000 points. Dont think any class in history of this size has ever matched that. Back to back conference championships their first 2 years also isnt bad either. There wont be any NBA players but they aren't too bad.

You make a good point - Many fans remember the teams you mention - in fact when you look at the Basketball crowd you see mostly older fans. Why? Because it has been a long time since Sioux basketball has been top notch. Now we see a very talented group of Juniors. Why are they criticized? Because if you watched any of Gunther's teams you saw an extremely cohesive unit that played total team ball. Maybe not always the best talent, but a group that played smart and followed his system to much success. Some of the best shooting guards ever including Scarprud and Goodrich. You never saw these guys whine and take reckless shots or pout if they didn't get the ball enough to suit them. Watching this very talented group can be very frustrating in so many ways. They need to get it together and play as a team - I'm not saying they never do, it's just that they don't consistently do it.

You make a good point - Many fans remember the teams you mention - in fact when you look at the Basketball crowd you see mostly older fans. Why? Because it has been a long time since Sioux basketball has been top notch. Now we see a very talented group of Juniors. Why are they criticized? Because if you watched any of Gunther's teams you saw an extremely cohesive unit that played total team ball. Maybe not always the best talent, but a group that played smart and followed his system to much success. Some of the best shooting guards ever including Scarprud and Goodrich. You never saw these guys whine and take reckless shots or pout if they didn't get the ball enough to suit them. Watching this very talented group can be very frustrating in so many ways. They need to get it together and play as a team - I'm not saying they never do, it's just that they don't consistently do it.

Excellent post. We do have players that get upset if they aren't scoring their points or sitting on the bench. I do understand your frustration at times watching the games. The reckless shots are the ones that upset me the most which in turn cases us to lose 3-5 point games.

I agree - very good and accurate posts!

I also agree that this class is talented and it is fact that their scoring has surpassed all others. However, you have to remember that a big reason for this was the fact that the upper classmen just weren't very good or injured. Part of their scoring numbers were by default. Again - they are talented and I would love for them to ultimately be the best class ever but......

I agree - very good and accurate posts!

I also agree that this class is talented and it is fact that their scoring has surpassed all others. However, you have to remember that a big reason for this was the fact that the upper classmen just weren't very good or injured. Part of their scoring numbers were by default. Again - they are talented and I would love for them to ultimately be the best class ever but......

The best thing about this is that this class will get the chance to prove themselves over the next two years.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I'd like to see change with regard to basketball scheduling is to get USD back on the schedule every year. Assuming we continue to also play the xDSU's every year, that should ensure that there's always at least one home non-conference game vs. a traditional rival. Unfortunately, it worked out this year that UND played at both Brookings and Fargo, and so there's something of a void in the home non-conference schedule.

A stat that I always find interesting is "Points Per Shot." Otherwords, how many points do you generate each time you shoot it. Usually the bigs are at the top of this stat due to higher field goal percentage cause their shots are mostly under 5'. This is how we stand after 7 games with our key players from best to worst. Wilmer 1.4, Archer 1.37, Schuler 1.33, Anderson 1.27, Antwi 1.25 , Brekke 1.22 , Traylor 1.04, Webb .98, Allard .96 , and Huff .8 (only 1 game). So take Wilmer, he averages scoring 1.4 points everytime he shoots the ball and Allard averages less than 1 point everytime he shoots the ball. What really helps a guy like Anderson out in this stat is free throws count as points but not as a shot, he has made more than double anybody else in FT's made. Compared to last year this is how it looked in order: Brekke 1.62, Anderson 1.52 ,Archer 1.5 Webb 1.21, Schuler 1.20 , Mitchell 1.18, Huff 1.11, Allard 1.07 and Antwi 1.06.

• 3 weeks later...