SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-2013 Season

sioux24/7

I can't emphasize enough how impressed I am with Troy Huff this season. He has really grown as a player and improved in some key areas. In addition to the increased scoring output, he's doing it more efficiently as well. Last season he shot just 39% from the field and this year is shooting 45%. A career 63% free throw shooter, he's shooting 76% from the charity stripe this season. From beyond the 3 point arc, Huff was a career 26% shooter coming into this year and was an abysmal 19% last season. This season he's hitting at a 35% clip from 3 point land, and seems like he often hits them in critical situations.

And I've said a couple times this season, even when he is having an off night offensively, the kid works so hard defensively and on the boards. He just flat out hustles every game.

It is apparent that he put in alot of time in the offseason to improve his game and become a better player. Too bad he missed pretty much the entire non-conference slate of games. Several games could have potentially turned out differently had he been on the floor, specifically UMKC, SDSU, and Hawaii off the top of my head.............

I definately agree with what you wrote and his energy level is off the charts. However, he still has room to improve in one area I believe. I taped the last game and watched it again last night looking for detail in all areas, Huff took 3-4 shots with at least 3 defenders on him and our shooters were wide open with nobody within 15' of them. Teams are beginning to collaspe when Huff drives and the word is definately out that when Huff puts his head down and starts to drive he is not passing it out and I think if he did this several times a game it would open the lanes up more for him and the same goes for Webb and Anderson. Besides that yes he has been playing incredible and I see him continuing to improve.

Big Sky Midseason Review

NEW PREDICTED ORDER OF FINISH

5. North Dakota (5-5, 10-10) - After a 4-10 start, they have 4 of their last 5 thanks to the schedule turning in their favor and the return of Troy Huff. After last year, the question marks were in the frontcourt. We thought they addressed those with their recruiting class, but it hasn't worked out that way. Alonzo Traylor is academically ineligible, Ryan Salmonsen is redshirting, and Jaron Nash was granted eligibility by the NCAA (like he should have). This again leaves them reliant on their guard play, but that formula has worked out for them in the past. However, as down as the Big Sky is, it's still a big step up from the Great West.

ALL-CONFERENCE SECOND TEAM

- Aaron Anderson – He was forced to carry the load for UND for a lot of the time that Huff was injured, and he has played well. The increased usage has dipped his shooting percentages a bit, but he has compensated by getting more assists and turning the ball over less, obviously a winning combo. Huff and Anderson is one of the best duos in the Big Sky.

HONORABLE MENTION/NOTES

- Troy Huff – Like Will Cherry, I think there is a great chance that Huff will finish the year higher than I have him here. Over the past month, you could argue that he has been the best player in the conference. However, he has played just over 40% of the team’s minutes for the year (because of a jaw injury that kept him out for an extended time). That’s just not enough yet for me to put him on one of the top two teams yet.

Thanks for the link! Let me explain Huff being on the honorable mention section (and not on the first or second team)... When I came up with the teams, I was considering their contributions for the whole season, not just conference games. So even though he missed just one conference game, he also missed almost all of the non-conference slate. If it was just an award for play during conference season only, I think that Huff would be a first-teamer. He has been absolutely outstanding this year.

Before the season, I wrote heading into next season Huff would be one of the leading candidates for POY (along with Kareem Jamar of Montana)... and over the past month he has certainly made it look like that will be the case.

Thanks for the link! Let me explain Huff being on the honorable mention section (and not on the first or second team)... When I came up with the teams, I was considering their contributions for the whole season, not just conference games. So even though he missed just one conference game, he also missed almost all of the non-conference slate. If it was just an award for play during conference season only, I think that Huff would be a first-teamer. He has been absolutely outstanding this year.

Before the season, I wrote heading into next season Huff would be one of the leading candidates for POY (along with Kareem Jamar of Montana)... and over the past month he has certainly made it look like that will be the case.

I really enjoy your blog. It is nice seeing independent coverage of the Big Sky, rather than just relying on news releases from UND or the Big Sky. You do an excellent job!

Great article but I would have to think all conference teams are based solely on conference games. With that being said Huff at this point should definately be 1st team all conference and at the worst 2nd team. If he continues he may garner a few votes for POY but that would also depend on how UND does the rest of the year.

Had this article been written last year, I might agree with it a bit more. This year not so much. Huff has shown his defensive abilities and his willingness to become a lockdown defender. He is getting better passing out of double/triple teams but still needs some improvement there. There is less selfish play this year and he seems more at ease with coaches, teammates, and within the offense.

I was plenty critical of Huff his first two seasons, but I wonder if this guy has seen Huff play this season at all. Yeah, he still has lapses, but he is probably the 2nd best defender on the team, and one of the better defenders in the Big Sky. He's made tremendous strides in his all around game from last season to this season.

• Upvote 1

I was plenty critical of Huff his first two seasons, but I wonder if this guy has seen Huff play this season at all. Yeah, he still has lapses, but he is probably the 2nd best defender on the team, and one of the better defenders in the Big Sky. He's made tremendous strides in his all around game from last season to this season.

Yes he has improved alot but he is not our 2nd best defender. Just because you overplay your man and get a few steals for dunks does not make you a good defender. If you really watch the most fundamentally sound defender on this team and the only one that knows how to box out is Schuler. Huff has seriously improved in all phases of his game and only a couple of times a game does he get out of control with his shots which is so much better than times in the past. Agree with a poster above this writer must not have been to any games this year.

The last 8 minutes or so against Montana St., showed how valuable an offensively skilled post player like Brekke can be to this team. Injuries and off-court issues happen to every team, so I'm not making excuses, but one has to wonder at what level of basketball this team could have been playing this season if Huff, Brekke, and Traylor had been available from start to finish. Probably at a similar level to Montana and Weber, IMO.

I think this team could make some noise come tournament time if everyone can stay healthy. We can win on the road (which looks like will be at Montana or at Weber State). So lets make this like the GWC tournament.....and win it!!!!

Agree, come tournament time we should be at full strengh and we know what this team has done the last 2 years as underdogs. Get everyone healthy in the next couple of weeks which should be possible and lets go dancing.

EDIT: I posted this in the game thread, too.

Scoured the Web and found that NBC Montana led its newscast last night with the second half highlights of UND-MSU, including Brekke powering inside for the bucket and Webb and Huff's back-to-back dunks. It's said to be Webb's first collegiate dunk.

Enjoy before it's gone!

http://www.nbcmontana.com/ktvm/sports

• Upvote 1

This team needs to get healthy and get the players in the lineup that can end the regular season on a high note. The final 4 league games will not be easy as we are on the road at northern colorado, eastern washington and portland state and any win will be extremely tough. Then we play southern utah at home. We need to finish at least 2-2 to secure a very good seed but it wont be easy. We need to get back to a solid starting lineup with Brekke, Schuler, Huff, Anderson and Webb to finish out this season and play Wilmer, Benton, Allard, Antwi in limited back up roles. Play our best 28 to 32 minutes and get ready for the post season.

• 2 weeks later...

Got to once again give Jones alot of credit for what he has done this year with all the injuries and academic problems. Huff missing 9 games , Brekke missing 13 games and Schuler so far missing 7 games and yet this team is 10-8 in league sitting a solid 3rd place. The subs have all stepped up for all the injuries and made solid contributions. Hopefully everyone will be back in time for the tournament and year one of the Big Sky could produce a huge surprise.

I made a similar comment a couple of weeks ago but .....

I have often been critical of our coaching and the lack of focus/discipline (at times) of the men's team the last couple of years. However, what we have done this year with a make-shift line-up with very little size is amazing. If our juniors continue to mature and the newcomers can contribute immediately, we could be very good next year!

• Upvote 1

I made a similar comment a couple of weeks ago but .....

I have often been critical of our coaching and the lack of focus/discipline (at times) of the men's team the last couple of years. However, what we have done this year with a make-shift line-up with very little size is amazing. If our juniors continue to mature and the newcomers can contribute immediately, we could be very good next year!

Considering the amount of seniors we'll have next year, including Jaron Nash, and the up-and-coming players like Hooker and Salmonson, next season will be THE year. It should be the season we're all in and make that run at the NCAA tournament, because we're going to have a fairly new and inexperienced team in 2014-2015.

I have been very impressed with Benton these last few games. He has really stepped up to help fill in with all of the injuries on the team. As a RS freshman, it looks like he could turn into a real role player over the next 3 years.

I have been very impressed with Benton these last few games. He has really stepped up to help fill in with all of the injuries on the team. As a RS freshman, it looks like he could turn into a real role player over the next 3 years.

I agree. The first few times I saw him out there, I had some concerns about his size. His hard work and effort make up being a few inches shorter than alot of the guys he guards.