SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-2013 Season

sioux24/7

Did Miller indicate if Traylor plans to remain at UND and regain his eligibility?

He didn't say in the tweet, but I assume there will be an article to follow. It's a little hard to be optimistic, though. The kid couldn't hack it academically for even one semester? Not good.

Between the heart-breaking SDSU loss, Brekke's injury, the Nash saga and the Traylor situation, my theory is that one of the coaches or players found a little tiki idol in Hawaii, and foolishly brought it home. It's taboo, you know. ;)

He didn't say in the tweet, but I assume there will be an article to follow. It's a little hard to be optimistic, though. The kid couldn't hack it academically for even one semester? Not good.

Between the heart-breaking SDSU loss, Brekke's injury and the Traylor situation, my theory is that one of the coaches or players found a little tiki idol in Hawaii, and foolishly brought it home. It's taboo, you know. ;)

Actually we brought in 3 bigs, one they red-shirted for some reason and the other 2 are ineligible. I think its more than just a tiki idol, first Nash, then Huff, then Brekke and then Traylor. This is just the first 11 games, I wonder who will be next.

Actually we brought in 3 bigs, one they red-shirted for some reason and the other 2 are ineligible. I think its more than just a tiki idol, first Nash, then Huff, then Brekke and then Traylor. This is just the first 11 games, I wonder who will be next.

You are correct--forgot about Nash.

I am not a huge BB follower but I am a huge UND fan. Do you guys who are knowledgable BB fans think we are recruiting the wrong type of kids? Perhaps character wise anyways? I realize some of our problems are due to injury but to have a junior transfer who can't even pass a semester is pretty bad.

Thoughts?

I wonder if this means Jones will have little if any choice to lift Ryan's red-shirt because we need depth in a big way. Unless Jones is planning on getting Huff minutes at the 4, with Brekke still being out this is our 4's and 5's left without lifting the redshirt.

Archer

Allard

Wilmer

Stockdale

I wonder if this means Jones will have little if any choice to lift Ryan's red-shirt because we need depth in a big way. Unless Jones is planning on getting Huff minutes at the 4, with Brekke still being out this is our 4's and 5's left without lifting the redshirt.

Archer

Allard

Wilmer

Stockdale

At this point, I doubt they would lift his shirt. I think they really want him to have another year to develop and mature. That said, if we lose anyone else, I suppose they may need to do so.

I am not a huge BB follower but I am a huge UND fan. Do you guys who are knowledgable BB fans think we are recruiting the wrong type of kids? Perhaps character wise anyways? I realize some of our problems are due to injury but to have a junior transfer who can't even pass a semester is pretty bad.

Thoughts?

I don't think that Jones has recrutited the wrong type of kids. In my time here at UND, I have seen a lot of the basketball players around campus and they are pretty level headed guys that are good in the class room (UND APR in Men's basketball was 968, which was above the national average by 20 points). The kid recruited for next year, Hooker, has a very good head on his shoulders so we don't need to worry about him.

Very disappointed in Traylor, I mean come on, there is zero excuse for any student athlete to not be able to pass your classes. With everything that is available to you (tutors, asking the professor/TA/GTA for help, study sessions, help sessions, etc) and for you to not take advantage just reeks laziness.

Traylor is no doubt disappointing especially the way he played the last couple of games. He was what we really needed at the 4 spot and from what I've seen and heard the players really liked him. What looked like it was going to be a very good year with the addition of Nash and Traylor has turned out to be a train wreck. From what I understand Brekke is still down and not making the trip this weekend to make matters even worse. Down to 9 scholarship players for this 2 game road trip.

Am I wrong to assume that the future is looking rather bleak right now for after the 2013-14 season? There are no "bigs" in the pipeline right now. Salmonsen will have two years of eligiblity, but I'd see he is an unknown. Brekke and Nash will have one year left after this year. Am I off-base to assume that Traylor likely won't be back next year either?

This year's senior class has taken a fair bit of criticism, but just think what the options would be like if not for the contributions of Wilmer and Archer this year.............

Am I wrong to assume that the future is looking rather bleak right now for after the 2013-14 season? There are no "bigs" in the pipeline right now. Salmonsen will have two years of eligiblity, but I'd see he is an unknown. Brekke and Nash will have one year left after this year. Am I off-base to assume that Traylor likely won't be back next year either?

This year's senior class has taken a fair bit of criticism, but just think what the options would be like if not for the contributions of Wilmer and Archer this year.............

Is our recruiting area just like football where its mostly the tri state area or are we expanding the globe and getting kids from say CA, AZ, TX.

I think it's a definite concern. While I am very happy about the Hooker signing, the other recruiting since the Huff, Anderson Webb class has been lackluster, at best. And there hasn't been a single big man recruited from the high school ranks since Brekke. Which wouldn't be such a big issue if the transfers signed in lieu of four-year players were actually eligible and playing...

I think it's a definite concern. While I am very happy about the Hooker signing, the other recruiting since the Huff, Anderson Webb class has been lackluster, at best. And there hasn't been a single big man recruited from the high school ranks since Brekke. Which wouldn't be such a big issue if the transfers signed in lieu of four-year players were actually eligible and playing...

I agree its a major concern. As of right now if Traylor is not here next year and we are losing Wilmer, Archer and Allard that leaves us Brekke and Salmonson at the 5 and we don't know anything about Salmonson except he obvioulsy was not ready to play this year so that concerns me with what kind of ability he has. So basically all we will have is Brekke at the 5 and Nash at the 4 and about 9 guards ( Anderson, Webb, Antwi, Schuler, Benton, Huff, Hobaugh, Hooker and the walk-on). If Brekke or Nash get into foul trouble, which you know they will at various points then we will have guards playing post positions. Looks as if we will need to get some more JUCO players and we know how that worked out this year. Does anyone know if Traylor is allowed to practice due to his academic issue?

I thought UND had a good game with Montana until the collapse in the second half. This team has lots of problems. I don't know if its Jones or bad recruiting or what. UND needs to fix what they can quick to even have a shot at the 7th spot in the tournament or else we will battle ISU and UNC for last place. This team needs a surge and quick!

This team is not what we expected before the season started. With no Brekke, Traylor, and Nash, this team is middle of pack at best in terms of the Big Sky. Next season, if all three of those guys are able to play, then the conference title will be obtainable. As of right now, without three very important front court players, this team has no shot. And if it wasn't for the NCAA and unfortunate circumstances, this team could be equipped for that Big Sky title run this season. Oh well, this first year in the Big Sky hasn't been anywhere near perfect for both football and basketball, but hopefully next year.

This team is not what we expected before the season started. With no Brekke, Traylor, and Nash, this team is middle of pack at best in terms of the Big Sky. Next season, if all three of those guys are able to play, then the conference title will be obtainable. As of right now, without three very important front court players, this team has no shot. And if it wasn't for the NCAA and unfortunate circumstances, this team could be equipped for that Big Sky title run this season. Oh well, this first year in the Big Sky hasn't been anywhere near perfect for both football and basketball, but hopefully next year.

For us to compete for the title next year (even with those guys back), we need to "learn how to complete/learn how to win". I think Hooker will be a great addition and provide some of the needed leadership.

I have seen the guards play awfully selfish at times. But I've also seen alot of great dishes over the years, even against Montana, by Huff, Webb, and Anderson that their teammates were completely not ready for. All players need to improve their awareness, not just the guards..............

I have seen the guards play awfully selfish at times. But I've also seen alot of great dishes over the years, even against Montana, by Huff, Webb, and Anderson that their teammates were completely not ready for. All players need to improve their awareness, not just the guards..............

Thats funny you mention that the teammates weren't ready for the pass. I would not say they weren't ready but shocked a pass was coming their way cause it rarely happens when a guard decides to drive or a post player gets the ball. We do not drive and dish to the open wing or we do not have an inside out game, look at how few assists our post guys have over the years and watch other teams how they have a great inside/out game. Bottom line is we have way too many selfish players and the coaches have had almost 3 years to change them and it hasn't happened. Every Big Sky opponent I have seen so far plays solid team basketball and if we don't change our selfish style we will not beat very many teams in this conference.

Just a few key stats that stick out to me after 7 conference games............

North Dakota is:

• 2nd in FT%
  • Last in FG%
  • 7th in 3 point FG%
  • 3rd in defending 3 Pointers
  • Last in assists
  • 3rd in steals
  • 1st in offensive rebounding
  • 4th best in turnover margin
  • 5th in attendance

Individually:

• Huff is 2nd in scoring
    • Anderson is 3rd in scoring
    • Huff is 6th in rebounding
    • Schuler is 3rd in FT%
    • Anderson is 4th in FT%
    • Webb is 1st in steals
    • Huff is 2nd in steals
    • Anderson is 4th in 3 Point FG%
    • Seems like UND plays pretty solid defense, and takes care of the ball relatively speaking. Decent rebounding team, especially offensively. However, we've taken the 3rd most shots in the league and miss the most, so there are lots of rebounds to be had. The improvement in FT shooting has obviously been a huge key this year.