SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-2013 Season

sioux24/7

Those type of scrimmages are extremely closed. Per the rules. I think we had South Dakota State here last year, and not even the bus driver could get into The Betty. I'm pretty sure that no media is allowed and only coach's, players, and officials are allowed. I'm not sure we will hear much coming out of it unless the coaching staff's divulge.

I know this has been said before but it would be really nice if we could get a video board in the Betty! I was just looking at Ralston Arena, where UNO plays basketball, and man that place looks nice and they also have a nice video board.

I completely agree, honestly, we should want to grow the basketball product, but I'm not entirely convince that those at REA want to see that. A video board should be a priority and so should an electronic signage scorers table. For as many signage opportunities that generates revenue in The Ralph, they really short change The Betty. Isn't that what you want... is platforms for sponsors to reach a captive audience. You talk about an audience that is really untapped right now, I would say it's basketball, with it's lack of signage opportunities with the lack of videoboard and electronic signage scorers table. Considering it's been the same sponsors in there, it seems forever, it appears that no one is all that interested in building new partnerships. (I mean thank you to the sponsors that are already there and have been there...but what about seeking out new blood?) That's either lazy or it's done purposefully, either way its a disservice to our basketball programs if you ask me.

I know this has been said before but it would be really nice if we could get a video board in the Betty! I was just looking at Ralston Arena, where UNO plays basketball, and man that place looks nice and they also have a nice video board.

A video scoreboard would be awesome hanging down over center court. I hate having to look at either end of the court and try to figure out the scoring, fouls, timeouts,etc. Its impossible to read and the worst I have ever seen in a basketball arena.

I truly feel if we play tough, we can knock off teams such as Northern Iowa, South Dakota St., North Dakota St., and Hawaii.

What those 4 teams have in common is that they are all picked to be in the top half of their conferences (SDSU 1st Summit, NDSU 2nd Summit, UNI 3rd MVC, Hawaii 4th Big West) and they will be on the road. Definitely a great way to find out if we have gotten over our road woes. If they played up to their talent and expectations, then yes I do agree that we can get 4 wins. I would love nothing more than to go down to Frost and the Fargodome and get a W over the XDSU's

First thing is first, I would love to see how they come out against KSU. I want to see if they can actually give a big boy a run for its money. I like our chances of that better now that its not Frank Martin who is there anymore, but has been replaced by an overrated coach in Bruce Weber.

What those 4 teams have in common is that they are all picked to be in the top half of their conferences (SDSU 1st Summit, NDSU 2nd Summit, UNI 3rd MVC, Hawaii 4th Big West) and they will be on the road. Definitely a great way to find out if we have gotten over our road woes. If they played up to their talent and expectations, then yes I do agree that we can get 4 wins. I would love nothing more than to go down to Frost and the Fargodome and get a W over the XDSU's

First thing is first, I would love to see how they come out against KSU. I want to see if they can actually give a big boy a run for its money. I like our chances of that better now that its not Frank Martin who is there anymore, but has been replaced by an overrated coach in Bruce Weber.

I believe KSU has its first game tonight against Div. II Washburn, if you want to scope the interwebs for how they look (albeit over an overly matched opponent).

I believe UNO is getting a new basketball facility. Or something weird along those lines.

I believe KSU has its first game tonight against Div. II Washburn, if you want to scope the interwebs for how they look (albeit over an overly matched opponent).

Correct, they'll play D2 Washburn (which will be televised on Fox Sports Midwest) and D2 Emporia State before UND comes to Manhattan. I'll be at the game - should be fun to see what they can do against the Wildcats.

• Upvote 1

If fans think four wins is at all in the cards in those five road games, we are setting ourselves up for a major disappointment. Road games are always tough to come by.

Kansas St - <5% chance of a win

N Iowa - <10% chance of a win

Hawaii - <15 % chance of a win

SDSU - 25 % chance

NDSU - 40% chance

If any of the games were at UND, add 25% to each.

Through those five games, a 1-4 road record would actually be reasonable. If this team finishes 3rd in the Big Sky, that would be tremendous progress considering how much more difficult this year will be. This team has never competed in a real conference yet, so the mental toughness and road travels will be a learning experience. The senior year of Webb, Anderson, Brekke, Huff, Schuler etc, we should have higher hopes.

From the Topeka, Kan. newspaper, about UND's first opponent's first game:

K-State dominates inside to beat Washburn

Cats struggle at free throw line

Posted: October 30, 2012 - 10:13pm

MANHATTAN — The early evaluation of Kansas State’s basketball team looks much like last like last year’s squad: Aggressive defense and strong rebounding but challenged offensively on the perimeter and at the free throw line.

The Wildcats rode their defense and board work to an 81-61 exhibition victory over Washburn in coach Bruce Weber’s debut Tuesday at Bramlage Coliseum.

If fans think four wins is at all in the cards in those five road games, we are setting ourselves up for a major disappointment. Road games are always tough to come by.

Kansas St - <5% chance of a win

N Iowa - <10% chance of a win

Hawaii - <15 % chance of a win

SDSU - 25 % chance

NDSU - 40% chance

If any of the games were at UND, add 25% to each.

Through those five games, a 1-4 road record would actually be reasonable. If this team finishes 3rd in the Big Sky, that would be tremendous progress considering how much more difficult this year will be. This team has never competed in a real conference yet, so the mental toughness and road travels will be a learning experience. The senior year of Webb, Anderson, Brekke, Huff, Schuler etc, we should have higher hopes.

No doubt the non league games will be brutal and the grind of the Big Sky with a quality opponent almost every game will be a test. Every UND team has struglled in the Big Sky this first year. I agree next year will be our best chance to go really far but I'm still very hopefull this team comes together this year and makes some serious noise and a solid run in the tournament. This now junior class has shown its playing their best at tournament time.

No doubt the non league games will be brutal and the grind of the Big Sky with a quality opponent almost every game will be a test. Every UND team has struglled in the Big Sky this first year. I agree next year will be our best chance to go really far but I'm still very hopefull this team comes together this year and makes some serious noise and a solid run in the tournament. This now junior class has shown its playing their best at tournament time.

True, but it's not exactly like we've been cellar dwellwers (well, except for soccer).

While the Big Sky schedule will certainly be demanding, I think the consistency that it will provide will be very beneficial to the team. Last year, we basically played two separate months almost entirely on the road, sometimes going 10 days between games. Getting back to the Thursday-Saturday rotation with no unreasonable exclusive road stretches, should help the team improve its traditional road woes.

I hope.

A video scoreboard would be awesome hanging down over center court. I hate having to look at either end of the court and try to figure out the scoring, fouls, timeouts,etc. Its impossible to read and the worst I have ever seen in a basketball arena.

Maybe if we can win some BSC titles and go dancing a few times where attendance is going through the roof of the Betty we can get a video board. I don't think there is a big demand for it.

Maybe and, that's a fair argument. There was no video board in the old Ralph, but they put one in when they built the new Ralph, and look at all the revenue sources they've managed to get out of it. Everything from commercials, to games- to slides. Everything has a dollar value. Now granted hockey has a far bigger audience, there's no arguing that, but a captive audience at The Betty is still an audience for a potential sponsor. If you had a video board you may not be able to charge as much for a spot as compared to The Ralph, but the important thing is that you would be charging something as opposed to charging nothing as you are now. Heck I'm not even saying you need a center hung, which I'm sure are not cheap. What about a huge flat panel that hangs below the current scoreboards at each end. Again, just an idea. At the very least change out the scorers table, I may be wrong but I think even UMary and Minot have electronic scorers table signage.

Maybe and, that's a fair argument. There was no video board in the old Ralph, but they put one in when they built the new Ralph, and look at all the revenue sources they've managed to get out of it. Everything from commercials, to games- to slides. Everything has a dollar value. Now granted hockey has a far bigger audience, there's no arguing that, but a captive audience at The Betty is still an audience for a potential sponsor. If you had a video board you may not be able to charge as much for a spot as compared to The Ralph, but the important thing is that you would be charging something as opposed to charging nothing as you are now. Heck I'm not even saying you need a center hung, which I'm sure are not cheap. What about a huge flat panel that hangs below the current scoreboards at each end. Again, just an idea. At the very least change out the scorers table, I may be wrong but I think even UMary and Minot have electronic scorers table signage.

I am sure the Betty is one of the finest arena's in the BSC (even without a video board)...I mean look at Sac State, I think GF Central's gym holds more people.