SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 early look

UND92,96

I look at it this way. I live in Fargo so I would have to drive 70 miles to: Pay for gas, Pay for parking, Pay for a ticket, Pay for concessions, and maybe pay for a souviener or a game program...all to see UND play an NAIA team that has no merit on the season because only DI wins count towards the playoffs. Sorry but my money will stay with me in Fargo until a DI team shows then I will shell out money, and I think roughly 5-6K people share the same views. We finally have a good team now lets get good DI competition. DI team = money. NAIA team = empty seats.

Sorry but my money will stay with me in Fargo until a DI team shows then I will shell out money, and I think roughly 5-6K people share the same views. We finally have a good team now lets get good DI competition. DI team = money. NAIA team = empty seats.

The only flaw in your logic is that last season NAIA Black Hills St. outdrew DI Drake and DI South Dakota.........................

You gotta spend money to make money. If you build it (a good schedule) they will come. Until then, nobody is gonna fork out money and time to watch teams that nobody has ever heard of. Better schedule means better recruits. Better recruits means a better team. A better team means more wins. More wins means more money and more publicity.

Its no different than any other business. If you put a good product on the field people will pay to see it. Putting a half broken product on the field (NAIA teams) will not get you a thing.

I am sure your AD is working to get rid of the NAIA game. On the off hand that UND puts it together and was contending for a playoff spot, it would be a major screw up to have a non-DI game keep you out. I can't imagine Faison would take that risk. Also, with the nick name issue somewhat resolved (I think the petition drive will fail), scheduling should be one hell of a lot easier.

I am sure your AD is working to get rid of the NAIA game. On the off hand that UND puts it together and was contending for a playoff spot, it would be a major screw up to have a non-DI game keep you out. I can't imagine Faison would take that risk. Also, with the nick name issue somewhat resolved (I think the petition drive will fail), scheduling should be one hell of a lot easier.

You would think that's the case, but I'm not overly optimistic considering the question has been asked a number of times on the Wednesday Herald live chats, and every time Wayne Nelson has answered that he does not believe the SD Mines game will be replaced.

This is what bugs me. 4 of our home games are BSC games that we do not have to pay to bring in. UCA was going to be the end of a home/home. Portland State was paid for with the C. Arkansas buyout. So the Mines game is the only team we are paying to bring in and I am sure it was for pennies.

So with this being the only game we are paying for, there is no reason we shouldn't have the $$$ to pay a guarantee to a FCS counter to come in for 1 game.

Does anyone know when this game was actually scheduled? It has been a while since we heard about it.

This is what bugs me. 4 of our home games are BSC games that we do not have to pay to bring in. UCA was going to be the end of a home/home. Portland State was paid for with the C. Arkansas buyout. So the Mines game is the only team we are paying to bring in and I am sure it was for pennies.

So with this being the only game we are paying for, there is no reason we shouldn't have the $$$ to pay a guarantee to a FCS counter to come in for 1 game.

Does anyone know when this game was actually scheduled? It has been a while since we heard about it.

Totally agree. Bringing in a decent FCS team vs. Mines would potentially bring in a bigger gate dollar-wise to help off-set as well. If the AD wants to increase season ticket sale, a better schedule is a huge part of the equation. As a season ticket holder, I don't go out of my way to clear the family schedule to get to games like Mines or USF. We all are busy especially with kid's schedules and as much as I want to support UND FB, coming up to see a 55-6 thumping of Mines is not time or dollars well spent. I will though carve out time to watch the Griz and Cats and would to see Sam Houston or another decent tiered FCS school. Walk-up sales would be better too IMO. Not to mention the potential playoff scenerio issues if we play Mines.

Correct. But that also means UND has four road (BSC) games that UND is not being paid to travel to and play.

No offense but what's your point??? Those 4 games are called "conference" games and wasn't the goal of this FB program when UND transitioned to D1 was to get into a big time FCS FB conference which those 4 games represent. So wouldn't that make getting a better gate draw than the Mines game even more important financially to offset whatever your point is above???

Correct. But that also means UND has four road (BSC) games that UND is not being paid to travel to and play.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5753330

Faison said the move should not only help with scheduling and recruiting, it will provide a revenue sharing bonus of about $135,000 per athletic team.

Prove it Faison get rid of SD Mines, and use that 135 grand and get a replacement.

Totally agree. Bringing in a decent FCS team vs. Mines would potentially bring in a bigger gate dollar-wise to help off-set as well. If the AD wants to increase season ticket sale, a better schedule is a huge part of the equation. As a season ticket holder, I don't go out of my way to clear the family schedule to get to games like Mines or USF. We all are busy especially with kid's schedules and as much as I want to support UND FB, coming up to see a 55-6 thumping of Mines is not time or dollars well spent. I will though carve out time to watch the Griz and Cats and would to see Sam Houston or another decent tiered FCS school. Walk-up sales would be better too IMO. Not to mention the potential playoff scenerio issues if we play Mines.

Talk to the 2010 Montana Grizzlies

• 2 weeks later...

i just posted in the Alerus turf thread that the replacement project has to be completed by August 24th or the contractor will incur $10,000/day in damages. Let's say that the contractor doesn't finish on time and ends up being a week late. It will cost them $70,000. Sure that is a lot of money and no contractor wants that to happen, but what if it did?

UND's first home game is August 30th, which is less than a week after the project is to be completed. At that point, would UND move the game to Memorial? Would you like to move a game venue for SD School of Mines or an FCS opponent?

There may be some thinking in the schedule besides just the possibility of playoffs.

i just posted in the Alerus turf thread that the replacement project has to be completed by August 24th or the contractor will incur $10,000/day in damages. Let's say that the contractor doesn't finish on time and ends up being a week late. It will cost them $70,000. Sure that is a lot of money and no contractor wants that to happen, but what if it did?

UND's first home game is August 30th, which is less than a week after the project is to be completed. At that point, would UND move the game to Memorial? Would you like to move a game venue for SD School of Mines or an FCS opponent?

There may be some thinking in the schedule besides just the possibility of playoffs.

Why not, its not like 13,500 people will show up against SD Mines. I would be surprised if 5000 show up in the Alerus. Now if it was against a FCS Opponent, then I would suggest kick it in the @ss and get it done even if they are working 24/7

Why not, its not like 13,500 people will show up against SD Mines. I would be surprised if 5000 show up in the Alerus. Now if it was against a FCS Opponent, then I would suggest kick it in the @ss and get it done even if they are working 24/7

That was his point. He is suggesting that one of the reasons for having SD Mines on the schedule might be the tight timeline and the potential for the installation not being done. Things sometimes go wrong on construction projects and they sometimes get delayed no matter what you do. For instance, what if the turf itself isn't delivered on time. It would be less of a problem to move the SD Mines game to Memorial than if they were expecting a huge crowd for a big name FCS team. That being said, I still would expect a decent crowd for the opening game even if it is SD Mines.

I'm kind of hoping more than 5000 will show up. First game of the season. First game as a member of the Big Sky Conference. First game with the new turf. I know the opponent is a dog, but hopefully with all the "firsts" listed above, it will get attendance in the 8-10,000 range.

Who do you guys think will be the breakout redshirt freshman?

I very much hope its Jameer Jackson. If he can step up and be the big receiver to go along with Hardin, McGill, and Ivery, it would allow us to redshirt all four of the incoming receivers and give them a whole year of practice time with Bartels and Mollberg.

If that is the case, this offense has the potential to be the best I've ever seen at UND. If Hanson can get quickly accustomed to the offense he'll be throwing to 3 good smaller receivers, 2 big targets in Nichols and Jackson, behind a line that brings back a lot of experience, and handing off to 2 quality runners that compliment each other very well. I expect points to be put up in bunches in our first year in the Big Sky.

• Upvote 1

I very much hope its Jameer Jackson. If he can step up and be the big receiver to go along with Hardin, McGill, and Ivery, it would allow us to redshirt all four of the incoming receivers and give them a whole year of practice time with Bartels and Mollberg.

If that is the case, this offense has the potential to be the best I've ever seen at UND. If Hanson can get quickly accustomed to the offense he'll be throwing to 3 good smaller receivers, 2 big targets in Nichols and Jackson, behind a line that brings back a lot of experience, and handing off to 2 quality runners that compliment each other very well. I expect points to be put up in bunches in our first year in the Big Sky.

Don't forget about Townsend. He had a horrible ankle injury his freshman fall camp and from what I hear is just now getting back to being where he was with the ankle befire the injury. He could be a big time possesion reciever.

Also Roman Bridges should be a stud kick returner. And Jer Garmin can hopefully improve as much as Jake Miller did from his freshman to sophomore year. I'm expecting big things on offense, the playbook should be wide open.

It will, or should be, refreshing to have a QB and WR's that can diversify this program's offense from what we have endured the last two years. Even with Landry healthy and erratic the QB play and lack of consistency with dependence on the running game and defense probably cost a couple of games or made the losses worse. Really looking forward to a balanced offense that can move the football with some regularity and keep the defense off the field more. Hats off to the FB team. Good luck in the BSC as we enter playoff eligibility.

Balance, more than anything, is why I think we'll see a big offensive improvement. We've seen Miller and Sutton be effective even with almost no downfield passing threat. With Hanson, Hardin, McGill, and Ivery we should have a passing threat on every down that prevents teams from stacking the box.

Now, I'm not saying we should starting chucking it up 45 times a game. I do believe the presence of an effective intermediate and downfield passing game will allow for some big holes for Miller and Sutton. I think we'll see a great running game and a lot fewer run-run-pass hits a receiver in the feet 3 and outs.

I don't think Breon Butler is coming back; just hear-say though...

Although I hope both Butler's are back, I hope that if Breon does not come back it has no bearing on Javen. I think Javen could see significant playing time this year at safety.

Thought it was mentioned that Breon was injury related and there was a chance he could return after his shoulder healed but he was going to take this semester away. I thought that was in the comments on SFI. I agree, Javen seemed like a tremendous athlete and both safety positions will be wide open come spring ball.