SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 early look

UND92,96

I give props to Bradley. Like the reports say. He seems like a team player. Cheering on the Sioux on the sidelines and really seems into the Sioux.

From what I saw he was just as good as Goska. He won the spot in the offseason and had one bad game (half a game). Once he learns the system more and with a few more passes (maturing a year)...I think he could be a pretty good "UND" quarterback.

I give props to Bradley. Like the reports say. He seems like a team player. Cheering on the Sioux on the sidelines and really seems into the Sioux.

From what I saw he was just as good as Goska. He won the spot in the offseason and had one bad game (half a game). Once he learns the system more and with a few more passes (maturing a year)...I think he could be a pretty good "UND" quarterback.

I think it was a little more than Bradley having one bad game. I believe he only threw for more than 150 yards once, averaged just 122 yards per game in the six and a half games he played, completed just 52% of his passes and threw just 3 td's. By contrast, Goska averaged 222 yards per game in the four and a half games he played, completed nearly 60% of his passes and threw 9 td's. It seems weird that the guy known as a running quarterback had significantly better passing numbers than the guy who was brought in to be the passing quarterback, but I fully acknowledge that Bradley could very well improve with another year in the program.

I think it was a little more than Bradley having one bad game. I believe he only threw for more than 150 yards once, averaged just 122 yards per game in the six and a half games he played, completed just 52% of his passes and threw just 3 td's. By contrast, Goska averaged 222 yards per game in the four and a half games he played, completed nearly 60% of his passes and threw 9 td's. It seems weird that the guy known as a running quarterback had significantly better passing numbers than the guy who was brought in to be the passing quarterback, but I fully acknowledge that Bradley could very well improve with another year in the program.

I fully expect Bradley to improve before next year. He was transitioning from a much simpler, more wide-open offense than what we ran. I believe the team he was coming from a league that limited the amount of practice times team could have and so he was competing against much more vanilla offenses. The complexity of defensive schemes likely contributed to a steep learning curve for this season. He showed flashes of ability and was hurt by drops early on in the year as well. With that said, the switch to Goska proved to be the best thing for our season, although it certainly didn't look it at times.

With Goska being a running quarterback and with what we saw out of him last year, he really improved on his accuracy and throwing ability over the off-season. I'm a bit surprised we didn't see more runs out of him through the second half of the year, but that doesn't really disappoint me. They ran him as a change of pace, but let him stand in the pocket and throw.

I'm excited to see what sort of team we'll have next year. Our running game should be even better with the returning talent in the backfield and on the offensive line, and if any of our quarterbacks can be just enough of a threat to keep teams honest, we could enjoy quite a bit of success.

I fully expect Bradley to improve before next year. He was transitioning from a much simpler, more wide-open offense than what we ran. I believe the team he was coming from a league that limited the amount of practice times team could have and so he was competing against much more vanilla offenses. The complexity of defensive schemes likely contributed to a steep learning curve for this season. He showed flashes of ability and was hurt by drops early on in the year as well. With that said, the switch to Goska proved to be the best thing for our season, although it certainly didn't look it at times.

With Goska being a running quarterback and with what we saw out of him last year, he really improved on his accuracy and throwing ability over the off-season. I'm a bit surprised we didn't see more runs out of him through the second half of the year, but that doesn't really disappoint me. They ran him as a change of pace, but let him stand in the pocket and throw.

I'm excited to see what sort of team we'll have next year. Our running game should be even better with the returning talent in the backfield and on the offensive line, and if any of our quarterbacks can be just enough of a threat to keep teams honest, we could enjoy quite a bit of success.

You bring up a valid point regarding Goska's running ability. We didn't see much of it this year, but teams knew he had that ability from last year's film and had to respect it. One of my concerns with Bradley is that we didn't really see much from him to suggest he can be a running threat. I think you really need a quarterback in this day and age who can buy time with his feet, and get you a first down now and then by running. Hopefully Bradley has that ability and just didn't display much of it through six-plus games.

The quarterback situation next year will come down to Comes and Hendrickson. Bradley showed that his arm strength would hardly be adequate for even high school and also his decision making and accuracy were average at best. Not to mention the cinder blocks he has attached to his feet giving him no escapability. Hendrickson is one of the fastest players on the team and has elite NFL arm strength. He would be a great player if he could figure out his maturity and throw with more touch when it is needed, not every throw needs to be a laser. Comes can move in the pocket but isn't a runner. He has great arm talent and is more accurate and has better touch than Hendrickson, he just can't throw the ball over 70 yards. These two will duke it out in the spring and one of them will lead the team to a championship next season.

The quarterback situation next year will come down to Comes and Hendrickson. Bradley showed that his arm strength would hardly be adequate for even high school and also his decision making and accuracy were average at best. Not to mention the cinder blocks he has attached to his feet giving him no escapability. Hendrickson is one of the fastest players on the team and has elite NFL arm strength. He would be a great player if he could figure out his maturity and throw with more touch when it is needed, not every throw needs to be a laser. Comes can move in the pocket but isn't a runner. He has great arm talent and is more accurate and has better touch than Hendrickson, he just can't throw the ball over 70 yards. These two will duke it out in the spring and one of them will lead the team to a championship next season.

Welcome to the board - I see it is your first post.

Interesting insight - does your analysis come from watching Comes and Hendrickson practice or di you hear this from another source?

A championship next season???

Looks like my long lost twin found his way over to Sioux Sports.

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the board - I see it is your first post.

Interesting insight - does your analysis come from watching Comes and Hendrickson practice or di you hear this from another source?

A championship next season???

Next year's team will be better at every position. The defense will improve on this year. The offense will come out of its shell. I'm not sure if anyone noticed but the play calling on offense was held back with the lack of confidence in the passing game. With proven players at every position and a new quarterback that can actually throw a spiral more than 15 yards I have a feeling we will see the real offense on display next year. Just look at the 4th quarter against USD.

Picked to finish last in the Great West this year. Who's to say the team can't do it again next year?

Next year's team will be better at every position. The defense will improve on this year. The offense will come out of its shell. I'm not sure if anyone noticed but the play calling on offense was held back with the lack of confidence in the passing game. With proven players at every position and a new quarterback that can actually throw a spiral more than 15 yards I have a feeling we will see the real offense on display next year. Just look at the 4th quarter against USD.

Picked to finish last in the Great West this year. Who's to say the team can't do it again next year?

Ah, the new quarterback, that's the rub

is that true about jack micheal? my o my.

also, geaux sioux, I need to inquire about this post of yours "Hendrickson is one of the fastest players on the team and has elite NFL arm strength"

elite NFL arm strength? are you from his hometown, or whats your angle here.

im being legit here, 2012 will be a big sky season and you can expect to be .500 or so every year. Montana's, EWU, Portland will always be good, and the rest will always be bad, and Und should be in the middle.

is that true about jack micheal? my o my.

also, geaux sioux, I need to inquire about this post of yours "Hendrickson is one of the fastest players on the team and has elite NFL arm strength"

elite NFL arm strength? are you from his hometown, or whats your angle here.

im being legit here, 2012 will be a big sky season and you can expect to be .500 or so every year. Montana's, EWU, Portland will always be good, and the rest will always be bad, and Und should be in the middle.

Thanks for your interest in Fighting Sioux athletics.

Home Games:

SD Mines (doesn't matter not DI)

Central Ark (backed out)

Cal Poly (we lost to them in 2011)

N. Arizona (haven't played since 1985)

Montana (tough game)

SUU (beat UND in 2010)

Road Games:

San Diego State (expect a loss)

Sac St (possible win)

Eastern Washington (Could go either way)

Montana State (Yikes!!)

UNC (we beat them in 2011)

Getting 7 DI wins is going to be extremely tough!! I see possible wins (hard to predict this early) Cal Poly, NAU, SUU, Sac St, UNC and maybe EW. If we can get a Drake or a St. Francis to take Central Arkansas's place we might get to 7....that SD Mines hurts...BAD!!

Home Games:

SD Mines (doesn't matter not DI)

Central Ark (backed out)

Cal Poly (we lost to them in 2011)

N. Arizona (haven't played since 1985)

Montana (tough game)

SUU (beat UND in 2010)

Road Games:

San Diego State (expect a loss)

Sac St (possible win)

Eastern Washington (Could go either way)

Montana State (Yikes!!)

UNC (we beat them in 2011)

Getting 7 DI wins is going to be extremely tough!! I see possible wins (hard to predict this early) Cal Poly, NAU, SUU, Sac St, UNC and maybe EW. If we can get a Drake or a St. Francis to take Central Arkansas's place we might get to 7....that SD Mines hurts...BAD!!

Agree, we need to fill that Central Arkansas game with a counter and drop the Mines game for a counter. Right now, not including the Central Arkansas game, we have to get 7 wins out of 9 games that count and 1 is a FBS. Thats a tall task to 3 of 5 on the road and sweep at home. I know everyone is working on it but getting this scheduling figured out will help keep the momentum rolling the team brought into the offseason.

• Upvote 1

What's with all of the talk on Sioux Insider that Marcus Hendrickson is playing baseball next year? I know for a fact he is planning on putting in the work in the off season and starting next year.

I hope he does come back, as he has very good athletic ability. As Goska showed this season, struggling in 2010 as both Goska and Hendrickson did does not mean a quarterback can't improve to the point where he can be an effective starter. The rumor is indeed out there that he is or was planning on focusing on baseball next season, but I have no idea whether there was or is any accuracy to it.

Even if Bradley is again the best option at quarterback, I don't think there is any question the offense will be improved with so many players returning. The offensive line will be the best UND has had in several years and the receivers and backs should be better and more consistent as well.

So, I think the key to the whole season will be the defense. Even if it's ugly, as shown this year you can win a lot of games with a defense and UND was very good this season. As I said before the big key will be getting the ILB's to play close to the level we saw this year. Finding or developing a lock-down corner would help as well.

Even if Bradley is again the best option at quarterback, I don't think there is any question the offense will be improved with so many players returning. The offensive line will be the best UND has had in several years and the receivers and backs should be better and more consistent as well.

So, I think the key to the whole season will be the defense. Even if it's ugly, as shown this year you can win a lot of games with a defense and UND was very good this season. As I said before the big key will be getting the ILB's to play close to the level we saw this year. Finding or developing a lock-down corner would help as well.

Good points, the only thing that I would like to add is the fact that I remember a lot of dropped balls early on, so Bradley did not get a ton of help. Things are looking up!

Replacing Hendrickson and Goertz will be a key, but to me the biggest key is whether the secondary as a whole can play at a consistently competent level. There were far too many blown coverages/mental lapses this year. Besides Brown at corner, I have a feeling the competition for the other three starting spots is pretty wide open, with a number of redshirt freshmen getting a look.

Our pass defense needs improving just look what UNC did to us. I just hope we play games where Zeb Miller doesn't have to bail us out. Those games are not good on the ol' ticker.

Good question and I will probably say more than you wanted to here.(what's new).

Poor crowd never helps recruiting. The crowd there was good and there was a fair amount of noise. UND's play was a positive. The recruits saw a team that struggled in the second and third quarter, never quit, and came back and beat a quality opponent that arguably had more talent. The fact is we are getting better and makling the necessary strides to compete at the FCS level. If UND is recruiting the way I think they are, they need to be focusing on what UND offers academically first. (The AC leaves that out of the question too often. They will try get the kid to adjust to thier offereings rather than tell them they don't have what the kid wants. A great example was one recruit who was interested in Chemical Engineering and they told him getting a degree in any of the Engineering disciplines plus a double major in Chemistry was the same thing. They have told recruits their Athletic Training degree, which they no longer offer to undergrads, was basically the same as Physical Therapy. One would think kids smart enough to be an Engineer or Physical Therapist would know better but it doesn't always work that way.)

UND has a great academic institution and reputation. UND's academic and athletic facilities are excellent and with the planned upgrade for athletic facilities will be superb. The move to the Big Sky, increased TV exposure, and the travel to Idaho, Utah, Washington, California, Colorado and Arizona are also a real plus.

All schools talk about being a "family". At UND it is a reality. The former players keep track of each other, step up to help when necessary and network when it comes time to help someone get a job, into med school, into dental school etc. The post grad success of UND FB players is exceptional. Faison noticed that when he came to UND and wondered if we really understood what we have going for us. I don't get to speak with recruits much anymore but I can guarantee they will get a good education, develop great and lifelong relationships with their teammates and other UND students and Alumni, and if they are willing to think team first and bust their butts they will have success on the FB field.

UND is not a place where we have parts of the locker room where some players or even other students can't go. We recognize the value of our teammates but also alumni, staff and the student body and fans that are an important part of being a Champion. IF we ever get to the point we are so arrogant we forget that, then we will be no better than the clods to the south of us. The UND experience is so much more than a FB game whether or not you win a championship and that is what makes going to UND special.

Care to share the names of these two recruits you are telling stories about?