SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 early look

UND92,96

Replacing Hendrickson and Goertz will be a key, but to me the biggest key is whether the secondary as a whole can play at a consistently competent level. There were far too many blown coverages/mental lapses this year. Besides Brown at corner, I have a feeling the competition for the other three starting spots is pretty wide open, with a number of redshirt freshmen getting a look.

Agree, but with this caveat: UND's scheme is going to give up passing yards. When you have a defense that only allows 80 yards per game on the ground, it forces teams to abandon the run and go to the passing game. Plus the zone blitz out of the 3-4 is going to have seams in it to throw the football. I can live with an occasional 300-yard game by an opposing QB as long as the run game is limited to nothing and it take 45-50 attempts to get those passing yards. The SUU game is a good example of that strategy working.

What UND has to get better at defensively is creating turnovers when the opponent is forced to pass all day. On those days when the opponent's run game is shut down and they are throwing all day like SUU did, UND should be getting interceptions and that rarely happened this year. The lack of turnovers is a bigger issue than yardage allowed, IMO.

Agree, but with this caveat: UND's scheme is going to give up passing yards. When you have a defense that only allows 80 yards per game on the ground, it forces teams to abandon the run and go to the passing game. Plus the zone blitz out of the 3-4 is going to have seams in it to throw the football. I can live with an occasional 300-yard game by an opposing QB as long as the run game is limited to nothing and it take 45-50 attempts to get those passing yards. The SUU game is a good example of that strategy working.

What UND has to get better at defensively is creating turnovers when the opponent is forced to pass all day. On those days when the opponent's run game is shut down and they are throwing all day like SUU did, UND should be getting interceptions and that rarely happened this year. The lack of turnovers is a bigger issue than yardage allowed, IMO.

I agree that SUU is a good example of a decent performance despite 350 passing yards allowed. The game that really drove me crazy was UNC. That one was just ridiculous, particularly considering UNC was not exactly a prolific passing offense for most of the season.

In 2011, UND was statistically among the bottom 10 or 12 teams in FCS in pass defense, and to me that's not acceptable regardless of how few rush yards are allowed. I'd just like to see the pass defense statistically closer to the middle of the pack if at all possible, or at least not so close to the absolute bottom.

I agree that SUU is a good example of a decent performance despite 350 passing yards allowed. The game that really drove me crazy was UNC. That one was just ridiculous, particularly considering UNC was not exactly a prolific passing offense for most of the season.

In 2011, UND was statistically among the bottom 10 or 12 teams in FCS in pass defense, and to me that's not acceptable regardless of how few rush yards are allowed. I'd just like to see the pass defense statistically closer to the middle of the pack if at all possible, or at least not so close to the absolute bottom.

I agree with your point but what I'm trying to say is that I'm less concerned with pass yardage allowed and more concerned with pass efficiency defense. I'm not concerned about a QB throwing for 300 yards necessarily, as long as it takes 45+ attempts and some turnovers are created.

The UNC game was the only one against an FCS team this year where the pass defense was a real failure. UNC also threw for 408 yards against Eastern Washington and was over 250 in each of their last five games so they figured something out towards the end of the year. No excuse for as bad as the UND secondary played that day, just saying that UNC was a lot better at the end than they were in September.

Incredibly, Cal Poly was next to last in the entire FCS in pass defense, allowing 274 per game. This despite the fact that they have a clock-eating offense and one of the most highly regarded corners in all of the FCS. Yet they still won more than they lost and tied for the conference crown because they could stop the run. I agree that it's obviously best to be great against both the run and pass, but if you have to pick your poison I'd prefer a team try to beat me by throwing all day.

• Upvote 2

I agree with your point but what I'm trying to say is that I'm less concerned with pass yardage allowed and more concerned with pass efficiency defense. I'm not concerned about a QB throwing for 300 yards necessarily, as long as it takes 45+ attempts and some turnovers are created.

The UNC game was the only one against an FCS team this year where the pass defense was a real failure. UNC also threw for 408 yards against Eastern Washington and was over 250 in each of their last five games so they figured something out towards the end of the year. No excuse for as bad as the UND secondary played that day, just saying that UNC was a lot better at the end than they were in September.

Incredibly, Cal Poly was next to last in the entire FCS in pass defense, allowing 274 per game. This despite the fact that they have a clock-eating offense and one of the most highly regarded corners in all of the FCS. Yet they still won more than they lost and tied for the conference crown because they could stop the run. I agree that it's obviously best to be great against both the run and pass, but if you have to pick your poison I'd prefer a team try to beat me by throwing all day.

Excellent points!

Replacing Hendrickson and Goertz will be a key, but to me the biggest key is whether the secondary as a whole can play at a consistently competent level. There were far too many blown coverages/mental lapses this year. Besides Brown at corner, I have a feeling the competition for the other three starting spots is pretty wide open, with a number of redshirt freshmen getting a look.

Yup the secondary was constantly lit up last year.

• 2 weeks later...

Can the Sioux get to seven wins?

South Dakota Mines W Portland State W San Diego State L Sacramento State W Cal Poly * L Eastern Washington * L Northern Arizona * W Montana * L Montana State * L Southern Utah * W Northern Colorado * W

A couple games could go either way, but I think the Sioux get 5 DI wins. The closest game I predicted with a loss that might be a win I would say is Cal Poly which unfortunately only still gets UND 6 wins....Had drake replaced our first game of the season we would be looking at getting into the playoffs.

Can the Sioux get to seven wins?

South Dakota Mines W Portland State W San Diego State L Sacramento State W Cal Poly * L Eastern Washington * L Northern Arizona * W Montana * L Montana State * L Southern Utah * W Northern Colorado * W

A couple games could go either way, but I think the Sioux get 5 DI wins. The closest game I predicted with a loss that might be a win I would say is Cal Poly which unfortunately only still gets UND 6 wins....Had drake replaced our first game of the season we would be looking at getting into the playoffs.

If we can get a Montana sweep we will be in the playoffs....but thats a BIG if. Or else on paper with the way our 2011 team played I see losses to Montana, MSU, SDSU, EWU, and Sac State. So maybe 5-5 vs DI teams.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a link to a place where you can find teams schedules that have been announced. It's put together by some people on the site, so it may not be completely accurate, but they are adding based on info that they can get. Still would love the Mines game off the schedule.

http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/fcs-schedules/2012-fcs-football-schedules/

Here is a link to a place where you can find teams schedules that have been announced. It's put together by some people on the site, so it may not be completely accurate, but they are adding based on info that they can get. Still would love the Mines game off the schedule.

http://www.champions...ball-schedules/

Great site, I'd honestly be happy with traveling for a FCS game (as part of a home and home) instead of having that 6th home game vs. Mines. Only if we can't get a home FCS game to recplace it. I don't want to play that game cause it will be a blow out and I don't want to take the chance of having that game haunt us down the road if we get to the necessary win total for the playoffs. Plus if we can get a lower end FCS game that could be the win that gets us to the 7-8 win total and in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

We need to get the message to Faison that UND fans do not want to play School of Mines and that doing so could hurt our chances of making the playoffs next year. He needs to be reminded that only D1 wins count in the eyes of the selection committee. Do you part and send him a message to encourage him to schedule a game against ANY FCS school. Sending him the link of the open dates would be good too. You can email him at brian.faison@athletics.und.edu I just emailed him. Lets get him the message that us a s fans are serious about this issue.

• Upvote 3

We need to get the message to Faison that UND fans do not want to play School of Mines and that doing so could hurt our chances of making the playoffs next year. He needs to be reminded that only D1 wins count in the eyes of the selection committee. Do you part and send him a message to encourage him to schedule a game against ANY FCS school. Sending him the link of the open dates would be good too. You can email him at brian.faison@athletics.und.edu I just emailed him. Lets get him the message that us a s fans are serious about this issue.

I am sure he knows this already. He wouldn't be worth his salt as an AD if he didn't. But, it might be good to show him how important this issue is to UND fans. All that said, if you feel the need to remind him of the importance of having an FCS opponent vs. a lower division visitor, please, please, please, be respectful.

• Upvote 3

Here are the list of teams that UND could play the first week of the season if we were to buyout the SD Mines game:

James Madison

Bethune-Cookman

Morgan State

Savannah State

Sacred Heart (no not the one in E.G.F.)

St. Francis

Wagner

SE Missouri St

Bucknell

Fordham

Butler

Campbell

Marist

Morehead St (not that Moorhead State)

San Diego

Valpo

Samford

Wofford

NW St

Sam Houston St

Alcorn St

Ark-Pine Bluff

Grambling St

Miss Valley State

Here are the list of teams that UND could play the first week of the season if we were to buyout the SD Mines game:

James Madison

Bethune-Cookman

Morgan State

Savannah State

Sacred Heart (no not the one in E.G.F.)

St. Francis

Wagner

SE Missouri St

Bucknell

Fordham

Butler

Campbell

Marist

Morehead St (not that Moorhead State)

San Diego

Valpo

Samford

Wofford

NW St

Sam Houston St

Alcorn St

Ark-Pine Bluff

Grambling St

Miss Valley State

how many of them already have 11 games scheduled?

These are the teams that do NOT have 11 games on their slate. So any of them would be available.

then by all means, Mr Faison should be talking to someone... and if he can't figure out how to get them on the schedule, just make a friendly call to Gene Taylor. He seems to have the process figured out. Get some wins, build some confidence. Seems like a darn effective practice.

An FCS team will want more money to travel to play in Grand Forks than a SDSoM.

Want to see a better team? Write the check. :)

True and I get all that, but look at our attendencs that last 3-4 years. Very poor. Why? Poor teams like SDSoM come to the Al that no one wants to see. Plus lots of people, including myself, already write a check to the FSC. Fill the Al every game like SU does the Dome and the gate receipts would dramatically help off set getting better competition into GF. It's a chicken/egg scenerio, but to say "write the check" is a little myopic IMO.

True and I get all that, but look at our attendencs that last 3-4 years. Very poor. Why? Poor teams like SDSoM come to the Al that no one wants to see. Plus lots of people, including myself, already write a check to the FSC. Fill the Al every game like SU does the Dome and the gate receipts would dramatically help off set getting better competition into GF. It's a chicken/egg scenerio, but to say "write the check" is a little myopic IMO.

While you both have a point here is the way I look at it. It is the season opener and a home game. The attendance should be good with some excitement built from this season along with the hopefully improved marketing this offseason. May as well spend the money on a game that counts for something. Every win is going to count to get to the needed number for playoffs. Our team will be better but I'm not thinking we will be good enough in our first full season in an established conference to have to get to 7 or 8 wins in basically a 10 game schedule. I'd love to be proven wrong but with the inconsistent play last year, who knows. That one extra game could end up being the difference.